1 day impression. Loving the game but lets not hide the negatives

• 4 Replies

TonyTurbo78

« on: August 29, 2018, 09:50:47 AM »
I've put in a good days play now, looked at the various modes, played some career, played some online, looked at course designer etc, I'm impressed at the improvement in some areas, but others have just left me scratching my head.

Firstly, lets give this years game some credit where credit is due, before I go on to some questionable flaws here. The "gameplay" is brilliant, absolutely love "the golf" when on the course and really enjoying the game again. 

Good job on how the game looks in 2019 also.  Visually at times the lighting is just damn right gorgeous.  The menus look real nice, they feel more responsive than previous versions which used to frustrate me massively.  The HUD looks clean and sharp, nice colours there, overall very pleased with the presentation.

The game play, again I generally feel like it's a step up from previous years.  Ball physics feel better more true to life, there feels a bit more weight to the ball now.  I like how the ball releases on the greens, although I'm with others here, the short irons need to stick a little bit more, even on firm and fast greens, scoring irons shouldn't be rolling out 10 to 15 feet.  But looking at the bigger picture, things generally feel about right, I don't want to be playing "Garts" (Golf Darts) all the time, I like to read the greens from the fairways and play the contours.  The animations are also an improvement, not perfect yet by any means but I really like how chipping and pitching is visually represented in TGC19.  Also how the shots look on camera and how the ball looks through the air, to me it all looks nicely convincing.  Putting feels brilliant, the roll, the contours, the distance control with the controller, it all works really nice.  I've not had any bad reads yet either (Although I'm sure there are still grids out there that will totally misbehave)  So yeah impressed with the overall gameplay and how the game feels in my hands. 

Sound unfortunately, I can't really sing to many praises here, but then again I've never found the ball on club sound to be accurate or pleasing in any TGC game to date, this one is definitely no different.  Can't we get someone to record the sound of ball on club on a golf course, then get the audio file in the game for the various clubs, shots etc? surely that can't be to difficult. 

Now a few bigger negatives, sorry but you knew they were coming.  £45 this game launched at, that's almost twice the cost of previous titles.  For £45 where is double the content?  You have the 2K partnership, I can't see anything relating to 2K here in the game.  You have the PGA license, why can't you get the proper PGA Tour player names in here? 

-Commentary.  You're charging more for the game, twice as much, can we freshen things up please for the love of god lol.  Get Feherty and McCord in here or something/someone similar to give some excitement, this is after all a PGA licensed game now.
-Gone are all the course leaderboards, at least I can't seem to find them so if they are there, then please tell me how to see them. 
-Multiplayer is as basic as it comes, still no matchmaking lobby which is still a huge omission.  (Although I will praise the connectivity during play online, it feels so much better)
-Stat tracking is almost entirely vacant, very basic level of interest in how my career is progressing both online and offline.
-Forcing players to tee off from a particular tee depending on what club set the person is using needs to be looked at also, you should at least give the joining player the option to chose a tee box they want to play from. 
-Not being allowed to see the opponents swing meter when they have played their shot.  At least give us the opportunity to see a blatant straight shooter that nails the 100% accurate straight line, dead middle up and down every shot.  Give us that back and then a report player function please. 

So all in all, TLDR:

-Gameplay is good, visually very good, polished on that front.
-Sound is average, needs improvement
-Content is massively missing for a £45 title.  This to me feels like a TGC2.5 yearly content patch not a fully fleshed out triple AAA priced game.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 01:07:20 PM by TonyTurbo78 »
8700k @5ghz watercooled, MSI Z370, Vega64 @1700/1100 water cooled, 16b ddr4@ 3600mhz, 1440p 144hz freesync monitor, 960Evo m.2 ssd's, Windows 10

Standard Xbox 360 stock controller

FRSTDWN

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 12:45:45 PM »
Whoa Tonyturbo! Been a long time since I have seen you around!
RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED!

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TGC 2019 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

TonyTurbo78

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 01:01:53 PM »
Whoa Tonyturbo! Been a long time since I have seen you around!

Yo ello mate, long time indeed, miss those Country Club days on Tiger Woods, good times.

I've been around, playing but not posting much over the years, to many sour haters around, nothing changes on forums. 

Hope all is well with you my friend.
8700k @5ghz watercooled, MSI Z370, Vega64 @1700/1100 water cooled, 16b ddr4@ 3600mhz, 1440p 144hz freesync monitor, 960Evo m.2 ssd's, Windows 10

HitItLong

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 06:21:00 PM »
I've put in a good days play now, looked at the various modes, played some career, played some online, looked at course designer etc, I'm impressed at the improvement in some areas, but others have just left me scratching my head.

Firstly, lets give this years game some credit where credit is due, before I go on to some questionable flaws here. The "gameplay" is brilliant, absolutely love "the golf" when on the course and really enjoying the game again. 

Good job on how the game looks in 2019 also.  Visually at times the lighting is just damn right gorgeous.  The menus look real nice, they feel more responsive than previous versions which used to frustrate me massively.  The HUD looks clean and sharp, nice colours there, overall very pleased with the presentation.

The game play, again I generally feel like it's a step up from previous years.  Ball physics feel better more true to life, there feels a bit more weight to the ball now.  I like how the ball releases on the greens, although I'm with others here, the short irons need to stick a little bit more, even on firm and fast greens, scoring irons shouldn't be rolling out 10 to 15 feet.  But looking at the bigger picture, things generally feel about right, I don't want to be playing "Garts" (Golf Darts) all the time, I like to read the greens from the fairways and play the contours.  The animations are also an improvement, not perfect yet by any means but I really like how chipping and pitching is visually represented in TGC19.  Also how the shots look on camera and how the ball looks through the air, to me it all looks nicely convincing.  Putting feels brilliant, the roll, the contours, the distance control with the controller, it all works really nice.  I've not had any bad reads yet either (Although I'm sure there are still grids out there that will totally misbehave)  So yeah impressed with the overall gameplay and how the game feels in my hands. 

Sound unfortunately, I can't really sing to many praises here, but then again I've never found the ball on club sound to be accurate or pleasing in any TGC game to date, this one is definitely no different.  Can't we get someone to record the sound of ball on club on a golf course, then get the audio file in the game for the various clubs, shots etc? surely that can't be to difficult. 

Now a few bigger negatives, sorry but you knew they were coming.  £45 this game launched at, that's almost twice the cost of previous titles.  For £45 where is double the content?  You have the 2K partnership, I can't see anything relating to 2K here in the game.  You have the PGA license, why can't you get the proper PGA Tour player names in here? 

-Commentary.  You're charging more for the game, twice as much, can we freshen things up please for the love of god lol.  Get Feherty and McCord in here or something/someone similar to give some excitement, this is after all a PGA licensed game now.
-Gone are all the course leaderboards, at least I can't seem to find them so if they are there, then please tell me how to see them. 
-Multiplayer is as basic as it comes, still no matchmaking lobby which is still a huge omission.  (Although I will praise the connectivity during play online, it feels so much better)
-Stat tracking is almost entirely vacant, very basic level of interest in how my career is progressing both online and offline.
-Forcing players to tee off from a particular tee depending on what club set the person is using needs to be looked at also, you should at least give the joining player the option to chose a tee box they want to play from. 
-Not being allowed to see the opponents swing meter when they have played their shot.  At least give us the opportunity to see a blatant straight shooter that nails the 100% accurate straight line, dead middle up and down every shot.  Give us that back and then a report player function please. 

So all in all, TLDR:

-Gameplay is good, visually very good, polished on that front.
-Sound is average, needs improvement
-Content is massively missing for a £45 title.  This to me feels like a TGC2.5 yearly content patch not a fully fleshed out triple AAA priced game.

The bolded comment, coming from you, is pure internet golf gaming comedic gold, funny stuff.
FirstBlitzer Au on Xbox One

TonyTurbo78

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 07:33:19 PM »
You know it's so funny, I'm playing online missing fairways, chunking it left and right yet all I see in streams or my online opponents are them striping every ball down the fairways and pins.  I love forum mentality.  A year down the line I'll still be playing, no API ban but you fragile ego posse will still be spewing out the same old BS. 
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 08:03:44 PM by TonyTurbo78 »

space-cash