4 letter word is up.

• 147 Replies

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2019, 06:09:58 PM »
Yeah I do that too ,try not to look at leade or board.you would of thought so.wish hb would chime in like they used too on ideas like this.not seen you playing in 4 letter this week John,the course is quite brutal to say the least

They acknowledged that they're aware of the spoiler leaderboard, but have apparently decided it's not worth the effort to fix.

I've decided to take a sabbatical from 4 letter word for a while, in the interest of not making wallpaper out of my controller  :D  I just can't come to grips with gridless greens... I'm simply to impatient and too lazy to use the alternative measures to assess slope.  I thought when I retired I'd gain more patience with it, but I haven't.
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

Martbloke

« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2019, 03:50:10 AM »
Very good ideas John I like them alot sounds like a perfect way to sort it .the leaderboard can be a real killer .I like enabling a ghost that is close my score from last round to chase

Agree John great ideas - especially like the order of play on ghosts when not turn order!

Also when viewing the leaderboard in the club house which shows you those that have finished only while I'm still yet to play rounds 1, 2 or 3 does my head in. How do you see the leaderboard as at the round you're to play in the clubhouse unless you're on the mini leaderboard? I'm assuming you have to check the leaderboard when on course for this?

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2019, 01:04:52 PM »

Agree John great ideas - especially like the order of play on ghosts when not turn order!

I should add that this ghost ball turnover is especially needed on the tee box.  I kink of kills the ambiance when I birdie the first hole, while everyone else had parred or worse, only to get to the second tee and see everyone else's ball already flying down the fairway in unison, before you even gotten a chance to take aim.  The order of shots off the tee, even for ghost balls, should follow the 'who has honors' rule.  Even between the ghost balls themselves, if you have more than one player represented.  There should be a pause of at least a couple of seconds between their shot trajectories being shown.

Also when viewing the leaderboard in the club house which shows you those that have finished only while I'm still yet to play rounds 1, 2 or 3 does my head in. How do you see the leaderboard as at the round you're to play in the clubhouse unless you're on the mini leaderboard? I'm assuming you have to check the leaderboard when on course for this?

I agree here also... I want to see how the tournament stands at my current point in time. I expect to see some scores of players who've already started the current round, but nothing beyond that.  Once I've picked my playing companions for the current round, the leaderboard display logic needs to be set to show their scores through the hole completed for the current round, and the announcer needs to what hole they're actually through in his reporting.  If I'm playing with only one player in my group who could possibly be ahead of me, don't say "and the leader currently stands at 22 under par", where he's only 15 under par in the progress we've made thus far.   Again... it takes the drama out of the competition :-\
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2019, 05:59:45 PM »
I think some of you guys think no grids means you spend 5 minutes reading each putt. I bet I play as quick as a lot of grids players. I take a couple looks from behind the the hole and in front of the hole make my read and go. Of course there are times I take extra time but generally I move quickly. I have found I play better if I don't take to much time around the green. Just make a read and go. Some of my best putting rounds have been because I am in this matrix like state. I don't even really think. I just see it and boom it's in the hole.

What takes time is learning how to read the greens. If you don't put in the time to do that then there is nothing that will make you want to play this way.  If you do put in the time it is the most rewarding way to play. How putting in this game mirrors real life putting is pretty amazing. Just like real life I have moments where I can read everything and then all of a sudden poof it's gone. Lately my problem has been under reading putts. I'm just a little off. So I'm working on that.

Anyway thanks to a that play. We have had some realistic scoring on some tough courses. It's not easy over at 4LW but that's how we like it. 😁

RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED!

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TGC 2019 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

weasek

« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2019, 06:25:45 PM »
I agree with frstdwn on that.it doesnt take me long to read the greens to be honest.it just takes time when you first start as you are not used to it.4letter word is my favourite society to play in,each week I look forward to the next course.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2019, 06:45:30 PM »
I probably spend maybe 15 seconds more per putt with gridless greens, versus grids on, on average.  I bet I average 3 misreads of direction of slope per round without grids, which is really embarrassing.  That tells me I'm missing an intuitive component that those who do well with gridless greens have.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

FRSTDWN

« Reply #126 on: March 17, 2019, 11:13:12 AM »
But it doesn't matter if you spend 15 seconds or 15 minutes unless you are getting a read. That is what you have to learn how to do.

When I say read I mean getting an idea which way it will break . With no grids you have to make decisions with incomplete information. IRL there is no guarantee when you read a green. It's the same here.

The camera angles help the most. For me the one in front of the hole helps the most. I move the putting marker about 5 to 10 yards past the hole then click R3 which spins me around the. I get low to the ground. I do that a couple times then look behind the hole to confirm. If I get conflicting info from both reads it's usually straight.

The putter angle is crucial. You can how the putter head sits. It tells you witch way it will break off the face.

Long putts I use the overhead camera.

End of the day I bet I miss 5 To 8 putts a round. Some are mis reads others are just pace.

The only other options are get closer to the hole or don't play 😁😎

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 11:15:34 AM by FRSTDWN »

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

FRSTDWN

« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2019, 11:40:22 AM »
Looking at my stats on 4LW I'm 31.4 % for birdie conversion and pph I'm 1.69.

Short putts

99%

Medium

73%

Long

10.7 %

Certainly nothing to write home about but for me it's the uncertainty that keeps me coming back. I shot 5 over then 2 under yesterday. I'm about to play 4LW and USE first rounds and who the hell knows who will show up!

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

FRSTDWN

« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2019, 12:03:02 PM »

https://xboxclips.com/FRSTDWN/335b1aaa-9c20-419c-a350-c559cdba353e

Just made this clip from Bellerive which is up next for 4LW.

If you watch it you will see how I get a read. I go past the hole and can see it's left to right. But then I go behind and the putter head angle tells me it more of break than I thought. So I flatten the putter head out and go. I don't make it but I make par. If I didn't take the information from the putter head I would have missed it way right and brought bogey into play.

So it's a multiple things that can get you a read.

Off to play this beast !
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 12:06:15 PM by FRSTDWN »

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

FRSTDWN

« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2019, 03:25:05 PM »
Whoa tough course. First round I hung in there as my swing was all over the place. Short game saved my ass but the second round which I usually wait to play later in the week I shot a 80. Total disaster and still not sure what happened.  That is the worst I have played in a while. The controller almost became wall paper as JC said . The one thing that wasn't available was a ghost to play with. That is why I like ghost turn base. It slows me down between shots.

That's how golf is in the 4LW society 😬😲🤪😠😁
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 03:27:01 PM by FRSTDWN »

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

Pakalolo77

« Reply #130 on: March 18, 2019, 06:20:08 AM »
But it doesn't matter if you spend 15 seconds or 15 minutes unless you are getting a read. That is what you have to learn how to do.

When I say read I mean getting an idea which way it will break . With no grids you have to make decisions with incomplete information. IRL there is no guarantee when you read a green. It's the same here.

The camera angles help the most. For me the one in front of the hole helps the most. I move the putting marker about 5 to 10 yards past the hole then click R3 which spins me around the. I get low to the ground. I do that a couple times then look behind the hole to confirm. If I get conflicting info from both reads it's usually straight.

The putter angle is crucial. You can how the putter head sits. It tells you witch way it will break off the face.

Long putts I use the overhead camera.

End of the day I bet I miss 5 To 8 putts a round. Some are mis reads others are just pace.

Paul pretty much touched on how to get the correct or I should say which side of the cup/hole to get a read on. That’s half the battle. I’m not one of the best putters here, in fact have been struggling a bit. But like real golf, you try to grind your way thru the round and capitalize on the makeable birdies along with the 4-6 footers for par. Speaking of those putts, I always put the pin in and give a quick glance at the flag lean. It’s not a 100% correct but it give me an idea of which way it’ll break. I’m a bit more firm on those and will play the break accordingly. Speed and line. Some like to let the putt die at the hole. Again there are times with fast greens where you have to play for that.

I started playing this way when the TST season started. For me personally, I don’t see any other way of playing and although it can get frustrating at times, such is golf. It’s the most rewarding when you make the correct read and make putts for clutch birdies and par saves. It takes time to learn for sure. But I’m constantly working on a part of my game to get better. We all want to compete and with the courses and conditions that we play week in and week out, this is the place to test your true sim skills on the Xbox.

So back to the putting, I’ve seen Paul’s preshot routine on the greens and have incorporated that and made it mine but with the flagstick in. I’ve burned so many edges but man when you get those big breakers or those sliders right, again most rewarding. It’s just me though and I’m sure a lot of players feel the same way here. Tons of practice, TPC Oakwind Short Game is where I always go when I’m struggling or want to sharpen my short game. Chips, pitch shots, flops and putting on fast greens with break. The “feel” comes and goes though. You learn from each putt I think. Next time you see the visual cue you get a better read and start making putts.

Just my two cents.

samterrence

« Reply #131 on: March 18, 2019, 07:41:02 AM »
Agree with all of the above, I struggled at 1st with TST putting but now incorporate all the things Paul and Pakalolo do especially having the flag in the hole, it leans left or right and gives you a good idea of the break, and how your putter head lies on the ground is a good clue. It's really satisfying making a severe left to right putt.
I play my tgc tour event CC E at the start of the week and use the grids, otherwise I would have no chance of competing, I get so frustrated when I miss easy putts with the grids on, but when it comes to TST with no grids I don't expect to make the putt and I am happy with pars. I really need to start having a practice round before I start the tourney to get some idea of the hazards waiting for me but I just can't wait to get started Love this way of playing

FRSTDWN

« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2019, 07:52:26 PM »
Nice posts . I don't use the flag stick but I can see where it could help.

I really never worry about putting at this point. I make some I miss some it's my approach shots that get me.  I'm to aggressive which costs me .

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

Martbloke

« Reply #133 on: March 20, 2019, 09:31:30 AM »
Nice posts . I don't use the flag stick but I can see where it could help.

I really never worry about putting at this point. I make some I miss some it's my approach shots that get me.  I'm to aggressive which costs me .

Ditto! Haha 👍🤣

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #134 on: March 20, 2019, 10:15:46 AM »

This is something I hadn't noticed before, until I saw your video that you posted a few posts later here.  Thanks for sharing that!

Long putts I use the overhead camera.[

Can't say that I've tried this, but I'll give it a go.

I've tried option one, but I wasn't able to change the universe to make it a reality, so I'd decided to go with option 2, for a while.  I'm going to give it another go using this new putter angle trick you've showcased and the overhead camera on long putts.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

space-cash