Chipping/Flopping on greens

• 66 Replies

jamescostanza

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2019, 04:00:34 PM »
I do not play in any societies, but I believe you should be able to set them however you like. If some one wants to join fine.  If not that is fine also. I also believe that if you paid your own money for the game you should be able to enjoy the game however you see fit.  If you want to putt off the tee and drive off the green, go for it.  It is your game and you should be able to enjoy it as you see fit.

Leadbelly

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2019, 04:35:04 PM »
The putting is easy enough in this game, not to be worrying about people chipping on the greens. Most good putters would make more long putts then any person that chipped, they would be at a disadvantage in my opinion.

And also does a chip count as a putt in a persons stats.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 06:35:24 PM by Leadbelly »

lchurch1

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2019, 05:23:12 PM »
In video game golf terms there's a history of green chipping where players figured out ways to game the system, chip from everywhere and basically hole everything.  To a lesser extent, even mid-length putts, in video game golf with charts and stuff that are out there, you can effectively dial-a-distance with the loft chart and avoid having to deal with slopes between yourself and the hole by chipping over them.  Dial-a-distance with loft charts is always a bit of a contentious topic but almost regardless of your stance on the topic, it seems like there is a massive majority in agreement that using it for chipping on the green to circumvent reading slopes is detrimental to the integrity of the game.

To your point though, at a certain distance it certainly becomes a fair option...it's just a matter of of what that distance is.  You said 50-60 feet...generally speaking the rule imposed by societies and TGCtours is 100 ft.  I would definitely entertain an argument for lowering that number, but I don't hate it being at 100ft.  I don't mind that players occasionally have to hit a long putt, and I feel like 50-75 ft are very reasonably manageable with the putter.  75-100ft, especially if you throw in uphill that turns them effectively to >100, is a bit more of a gray area.  I try not to leave myself those putts...I'd rather have a 50 yard pitch and will lay up accordingly.

50 to 60 feet may be very manageable for you with the putter. Some of us aren't that good with the flat stick. And dial-a-distance isn't nearly as prevalent (or even possible) with this version of the game. I very seldom chip. Usually from less than 8 or 9 feet. I've flopped from 10. Sometimes (the majority of times, I would say) I get flops close. But other times, it sails way over the hole and I end up with a very gnarly putt. But even though I've gotten decent with the flop shot, it's nowhere near to dial-a-distance.

You may not be using charts or have your chipping & flopping dial-a-distance mastered but plenty of people do, and if they run rampant doing this on greens, all they're doing is taking the slope out of play.  It's the definition of "cheesing", whether it's technically allowed in the rules of golf or not.  Rules have to be set up to account for this, even if you personally are not a threat with it. 

In a lot of the EA sports MLB baseball games not too long ago there's been a way players have discovered to bunt your way for a base hit 80-90% of the time.  Bunting is 100% within the rules.  These were great bunts, they weren't impossible to do in real life, and they would have been base hits in real life..it was just too easy to do.  It's not respected, and it makes playing each other no fun.  This is more extreme than the chipping issue, but the concept is the same, taking advantage of the fact that some things are so much easier in video games that you can exploit them for positive results.

Having said that, EA sports have managed to fix this issue in the MLB games the past couple years. I also believe HB have successfully "nerfed" chipping and flopping to make it less of an appealing option and by extension less exploitable on the greens.  I agree 100% this is way less of an issue than before.  If I see someone flop from 50 ft I'm going to roll my eyes a little bit but this isn't a massive advantage like in older versions where people had effectively figured out how to make everything.

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2019, 03:38:47 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnhPlgKvJTs

Are you saying that you are implementing damaged greens into the game here? Huge spike mark or something in Sergio’s line there.

Would not be a very productive addition, since the 2019 rules now state that any damage on the green can be repaired. Which is pretty much the only rule change that makes any sense whatsoever among the ones they just put in. Still don’t like it. Golf was never designed to be fair. At its core it’s a game that gauge how well you deal with bad breaks.

liquidsnake000

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2019, 11:50:23 AM »
yes but in support of what I said Garcia saw what he thought was a bad pitch mark between him and the hole ( hazard  ) or what ever you want to call it so he used a chip, I did mention that in my post somewhere.
bring on 2019 tgc.

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2019, 03:34:57 PM »
Tiger chipped from the green in the Open at Carnoustie this year. 

liquidsnake000

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2019, 05:01:26 AM »
I havnt got a problem with anyone using chip on the green, but how often do you see it in reality, not very often, what annoys me is people use it on tgc just to avoid a steep slope like on a two or three tiered green, not what I would call great sportsmanship, but then its their choice I suppose, me personally have never used anything but a putter on the green, its more fun that way for me.
bring on 2019 tgc.

marcoballistic

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2019, 10:40:23 AM »
I havnt got a problem with anyone using chip on the green, but how often do you see it in reality, not very often, what annoys me is people use it on tgc just to avoid a steep slope like on a two or three tiered green, not what I would call great sportsmanship, but then its their choice I suppose, me personally have never used anything but a putter on the green, its more fun that way for me.
Exactly it is more fun, and realistic.

In reality you see chipping on the green so so sooooo very rarely.

Yet on the game I can guarantee when I ghost people to check my society is legit on the no chipping and flopping rule, you'll find a guy chipping like liquid says to avoid a slope. Then ghost him a little more and he'll do it 2, 4, 7 more times in the same round. It is just such lazy bad sportsmanship. I do not give a damn if it is theoretically ok in the real world. You do it once in our society and you are straight out the door.

And no that isn't harsh, as every single member knows our few but important rules before they gain full entry. So if they are caught doing the opposite, then its flat out cheating within our society walls and you do not get a 2nd chance.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

mebby

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2019, 10:51:37 AM »

Yet on the game I can guarantee when I ghost people to check my society is legit on the no chipping and flopping rule, you'll find a guy chipping like liquid says to avoid a slope. Then ghost him a little more and he'll do it 2, 4, 7 more times in the same round. It is just such lazy bad sportsmanship. I do not give a damn if it is theoretically ok in the real world. You do it once in our society and you are straight out the door.

And no that isn't harsh, as every single member knows our few but important rules before they gain full entry. So if they are caught doing the opposite, then its flat out cheating within our society walls and you do not get a 2nd chance.

This is the great thing about societies in TGC honestly. 

What's the name of your society again?  I'd like to play in it for sure!  I'm currently playing in FirstDown's no-assists society (4 Letter Word) and it's awesome.  Sounds like yours is very similar.  Is it on XB1?

I think I only have time for two societies and these two sound like where I need to be!
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2019, 11:40:26 AM »
I played against three ghost balls in all four rounds of last weeks TGC Tours CC tournament.  I was shocked at how often I saw chipping and flopping on greens in those four rounds.  Technically it's not against the rules of golf, I'm just surprised at how much of a "go to" shot it has become for a number of golf gamers.
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

marcoballistic

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2019, 12:03:53 PM »

This is the great thing about societies in TGC honestly. 

What's the name of your society again?  I'd like to play in it for sure!  I'm currently playing in FirstDown's no-assists society (4 Letter Word) and it's awesome.  Sounds like yours is very similar.  Is it on XB1?

I think I only have time for two societies and these two sound like where I need to be!
Sadly not on XBox I'm afraid. Sony all the way with me.

For what it's worth though society name is Team Reacharound. Celebrating our 10th anniversary in a few months we go all the way back to the good old Tiger days.

marcoballistic

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2019, 12:04:33 PM »
I played against three ghost balls in all four rounds of last weeks TGC Tours CC tournament.  I was shocked at how often I saw chipping and flopping on greens in those four rounds.  Technically it's not against the rules of golf, I'm just surprised at how much of a "go to" shot it has become for a number of golf gamers.
I know right... it absolutely ludicrous

neilwilkes

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2019, 12:27:26 PM »

Wasn't this because he had broken his Putter?
If so then I am sorry but the argument becomes sophistry

SassyLady

« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2019, 07:02:49 AM »

Wasn't this because he had broken his Putter?
If so then I am sorry but the argument becomes sophistry

No. He hadn't broken his putter. At least not that I know of. Watch the video and you'll see why. There was a bit of an obstruction between his ball and the hole. He could have easily made a putt from that distance with the putter assuming there were no obstructions between the ball and the hole. But since there was a small obstruction, he elected to chip to take that obstruction out of the equation.
My courses

TGC 2019
Bonner Point Golf Club
TPC Mactan Hills (Regular and Tour Editions)

TGC 2
Bonner Point Golf Club
Mactan Hills Country Club

TGC 1
Bonner Point Golf Resort (Championship)
Tri-Lakes Golf and Fishing Resort

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2019, 10:50:20 AM »
It's a problem with the game.  Irl, you wouldn't want to chip that often.  Maybe chipping is too easy in the game, eh?

space-cash