Is this right or is this a problem...

• 10 Replies

flyinjoe13

« on: January 14, 2019, 10:06:37 AM »
I don't know if this is accurate compared to real life golf or if this is a problem, but i've noticed two odd things since the last patch.  If my downswing registers as slow on the swing meter, the ball explodes off the club and carries like 10 yards longer than if I make a perfect follow through.  That seems off to me compared to real golf.  I would figure a slow downswing would result in a loss of distance.  So is this a problem or is that how real life golf works? 

Also noticed if I loft up the driver, it carries longer, but if I loft up other clubs, the fly shorter.  Does that make sense?

Couple of things I should point out.  This is one the PS4 Pro.   I play left handed in the game so maybe this is a problem with the game's left handed swing mechanics.  And lastly, with regards to my first question, i've only noticed the extra distance i've seen from a slow downswing with the driver.  That's where it's most obvious.  Can't say for certain if it happens with other clubs.

Hope someone from HB sees this and can look into it or let me know if this is the way it should work.

Thanks

Martbloke

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 12:37:45 PM »
Slow downswing is now a power fade which is NOT true to life. HB decision to include this new feature.

Driver - yes you are supposed to hit up on ball IRL to launch it higher and get more distance but not entirely sure if this is what is meant by the lifting for the driver in game. If you lift other shots then yes in theory you should lose distance as you are putting more power vertically than horizontally so the arc of the ball flight is higher and therefore not as far. However it does depend on the wind - direction and strength as this sways the results at times.

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 07:43:34 PM »
I don't know if this is accurate compared to real life golf or if this is a problem, but i've noticed two odd things since the last patch.  If my downswing registers as slow on the swing meter, the ball explodes off the club and carries like 10 yards longer than if I make a perfect follow through.  That seems off to me compared to real golf.  I would figure a slow downswing would result in a loss of distance.  So is this a problem or is that how real life golf works? 

Also noticed if I loft up the driver, it carries longer, but if I loft up other clubs, the fly shorter.  Does that make sense?

Couple of things I should point out.  This is one the PS4 Pro.   I play left handed in the game so maybe this is a problem with the game's left handed swing mechanics.  And lastly, with regards to my first question, i've only noticed the extra distance i've seen from a slow downswing with the driver.  That's where it's most obvious.  Can't say for certain if it happens with other clubs.

Hope someone from HB sees this and can look into it or let me know if this is the way it should work.

Thanks

Yes, for some reason a wipe fade now travels longer than a well struck shot after the last patch. Has no logic to it whatsoever, and even from a video game mechanic point of view it is stupid since any hazards short of the target are never in play. You are guaranteed to hit at least your full distance.

It was pretty good before the patch.

FRSTDWN

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 08:39:44 PM »
Yup makes zero sense. Before I could do a high cut or a power draw. Now I can do a power fade and slight draw with less distance. The game forces you to hit it straight. Which is not golf.

RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED!

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TGC 2019 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

flyinjoe13

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 12:22:46 AM »
Thanks for the info guys. 

How/Why HB seems to think a fade should be used to add distance is beyond me.  I guess they don't look at their game as being a simulation of golf because if they did, there is no way they would make this a feature.  I think anyone familiar with the game knows you hit a draw to add distance and a fade to cut off distance.

Does anyone at HB even play golf?

FRSTDWN

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 12:33:49 AM »
Nothing wrong with a power fade. A lot of pros use it. Problem is they don't have a slow down swing to achieve it.
RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED!

XB1 X
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TGC 2019 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

flyinjoe13

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 08:02:26 AM »
Agree,  the power fade is a useful shot, but it's the implementation of things in this game's swing mechanics that make no sense.    I'm sorry, but a slow downswing should always result in less distance in a golf simulation.  How on earth are we supposed to simulate a touch shot by taking something off the swing when the game will actually simulate this as more power.

What I don't understand is why this has to be so hard to create a realistic golf swing simulation (and to be fair, other golf games have had trouble with this is well).  And i'm not talking about the coding of it.  I know nothing about that.  I'm talking about the concept of simulating a golf swing with the thumbstick.  It's pretty simple when you think about it.  Swing straight, ball go straight.  Miss the line left or right, ball goes offline and different distances based on certain factors.  Swing faster, ball go farther.  Swing slower, ball go shorter.  You can make the swing path line as thin or thick as you want based on game difficulty for people who want more or less of a challenge.  But that's about it.  It's not rocket science.

It doesn't need to be anymore complicated than that.  Putting things in like swinging slower makes a power fade or swinging faster automatically pulls the ball is stupid.  Trying to move the thumbstick forward faster or slower is going to increase your chances of missing the swing line naturally so there's no need to code in some unrealistic pull\push effect.  Let it be done by the player by naturally missing the line.  And have the guts to make that swing line smaller on harder difficulty levels or make the mi****s more penal.  It's so easy to hit the ball fairly straight right now.  I've tried to hit shots as bad as Phil's drive at the US Open years ago, and you just can't in this game.

I play this game every day, but honestly, I find myself only using the game for the designer anymore because the golf part is just so bad.  For my actual golf fix, i've gone back to older golf games that seem to understand the basic principles of golf and swing mechanics.  Hopefully they fix this some day.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:46:54 AM by flyinjoe13 »

Martbloke

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 12:10:39 PM »
Basically the way the swing has been built is to use the manual swing ALONG with the loft box to execute most types of shots. The mess that has happened with the slow DS causing a power fade has come about from the implementation of their version of an overswing risk/reward mechanic which worked for fast DS only. Because this was then seen as a shot that can be played without the loft box to get a power draw, there were then complaints that a mirroring power fade could not be executed in game and so HB decided to try and add it in to the swing so that it mirrored the power draw but this makes no sense.

In short, the way the swing has been built cannot handle all shot types in a sensible way and if they intend to have them all in, the whole swing needs revisiting.

A thought maybe to allow diagonal swinging or a stance functionality - although the loft box is essentially this in a simplified format I feel. It may just need tweaking of the current swing where you select to fade the ball using the loft box and the speed of your swing determines if it's a power fade or not - hit it fast and instead of the risk being a draw/hook, as you've set it for a fade, the risk will be a bigger fade/slice (basically the risk is enforced the other way). If the loft box is at default straight, the default risk of the draw is such and if set to draw, an even larger risk of a bigger draw/hook is given. Basically the default risk for a fast or VF DS is draw unless you set it to fade on the loft box. That's how I feel it should've been and then left the slow DS to knock distance off.

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 12:21:05 PM »
You take distance off by a partial swing or a slow backswing. This is an OK mechanic in my book, since messing with downswing in real golf is a sure way to lose consistency and basically a recipe for disaster in pressure situations.

Martbloke

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 12:47:37 PM »
You take distance off by a partial swing or a slow backswing. This is an OK mechanic in my book, since messing with downswing in real golf is a sure way to lose consistency and basically a recipe for disaster in pressure situations.

Don't get me wrong I like the tempo addition in this game and since the last update, I am struggling to consistently hit P/P.

I don't necessarily agree that a slow backswing = less power (IRL); partial yes but not necessarily the speed of the backswing. If it's excessively slow then yeah.

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 01:07:41 PM »

Don't get me wrong I like the tempo addition in this game and since the last update, I am struggling to consistently hit P/P.

I don't necessarily agree that a slow backswing = less power (IRL); partial yes but not necessarily the speed of the backswing. If it's excessively slow then yeah.

Yeah, agreed. But a slow downswing is usually more a pause at the top than pulling back slowly.

Not a perfect representation compared to real golf, but still not a mechanic that is completely counterintuitive as the slow downswing is.

space-cash