Introducing TGC Designer Tools and Real Course Recreation Lidar Import

• 41 Replies

Bradley Stuart

• Hey all you young hockey players!
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 07:04:27 PM »
Yes indeed, this is awesome.  I just discovered this program on Monday and I already have great progress made on two local courses.  When are we going to play a round, Chad?  I'm open next week.  Angel Park?

The Club at Old Mill Creek  -  Tournament Course  -  Lake County, Illinois

ChadGolf

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 07:36:47 PM »
I could do Thursday or Friday!  Just don't let people know I take time off!  xD

Bradley Stuart

• Hey all you young hockey players!
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 07:52:04 PM »
Either of those works for me.  I have an OB card, so I'll see what's available and PM you with what I find.

The Club at Old Mill Creek  -  Tournament Course  -  Lake County, Illinois

Rickster

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 12:05:17 PM »
Hi Chad,
Glad to see you work on this - it will certainly help reduce significant time to get hole topography as realistic as possible. There is still plenty to do for designers to show their skills to fine tune the rest of the course terrain, plantings, course constructions, etc. to make the course look and feel realistic.

I think I will be buying TGC19 next week on Steam.  I have recently downloaded some 5 metre Lidar data for a course near me I want to do as an RCR.  Is 5m pretty useful as far as accuracy goes?

Thanks
Rick
TGC2 Courses Published:
♦ Cocos Island Resort
♦ The Lakes on Blackwood River

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 01:13:55 PM »
Chad, I've now played two courses (Purgatory GC and The Nicklaus Course @ Reunion) that were created with your Lidar import tool, and they were truly stellar!  :o  What a work saver it is for the designer, while allowing them to attain more natural looking results... it's a game changer my man!  You just earned a spot in the TGC Hall of Fame with this development, along with a PayPal donation from moi  ;)
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

TimberPete

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2019, 11:13:11 PM »
Fantastic stuff here !

Would love to see someone put together a YouTube tutorial video with step-by-step instructions so we could pause and rewind as we go.  I know Chad has given us the written tutorial page but I am having some trouble with a few of the steps and I think a video tutorial would be great.  I don't think I am putting the Lidar data and course file data in the correct locations and I get an error message when the program tries to process the Lidar files.

Trying to create a local course for the game that is used for a PGA Tour event.

Thanks for all the time and hard work on this Chad, well done.

Pete
PSN Name: TimberPete
Steam: timberpete65

Balsam Hill Golf Club
KMG Golf and Beer Club
Possum Bottom GC (TGC2)

Han

• GroupMember
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2019, 11:57:34 PM »
Fantastic stuff here !

Would love to see someone put together a YouTube tutorial video with step-by-step instructions so we could pause and rewind as we go.  I know Chad has given us the written tutorial page but I am having some trouble with a few of the steps and I think a video tutorial would be great.  I don't think I am putting the Lidar data and course file data in the correct locations and I get an error message when the program tries to process the Lidar files.

Trying to create a local course for the game that is used for a PGA Tour event.

Thanks for all the time and hard work on this Chad, well done.

Pete

Chad's own tutorial vid he did on a Twitch stream https://www.twitch.tv/videos/384580256?t=40m52s
Nobleman's tutorial video on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C4gWoCcwPU
TGC 2019 Courses :
The Belfry - The Brabazon
The Belfry - Brabazon RC
Valle de los Reyes (Ballesteros) - with Scarpacci
TGC1/TGC2 Courses created :
Oakmere Golf Club
Rivington Hall Golf Club
Dunholme Manor Golf & CC
Douro Valley Par 3
Douro Valley Resort
Herons' Reach Golf Links

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2019, 12:33:14 AM »
Chad, I've now played two courses (Purgatory GC and The Nicklaus Course @ Reunion) that were created with your Lidar import tool, and they were truly stellar!  :o  What a work saver it is for the designer, while allowing them to attain more natural looking results... it's a game changer my man!  You just earned a spot in the TGC Hall of Fame with this development, along with a PayPal donation from moi  ;)

^^^Dittos to ALL of the above.  :)

-MERACE

paddyjk19

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2019, 10:33:26 AM »
Hi All, I've got to the point where I export the .course file back to the folder so I can then copy to the game - the file keeps disappearing so I've got no way to do this.

Can anyone help please?
Completed courses:

TPC Elk Ridge
TPC Elk Ridge (Tiger Tees)
Cedar Springs Country Club

Soon to be released:

West Hill Golf Club, Surrey, England

Han

• GroupMember
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2019, 04:18:13 PM »
I had this happen to me a couple of times at the start.

All I ended up doing was closing down Chad's tool and re-starting it again.

Re-choose the course folder, import course etc but just run the import from OSM etc options, don't re-run the Lidar data as it should still be there, then try importing the course again and saving it straight to your TGC course file folder. Make sure you delete any previous versions of the course in that folder first as I'm not sure if that was causing an issue for me but after doing all these steps it has worked first time since.
TGC 2019 Courses :
The Belfry - Brabazon RC
Oakmere Golf Club
Rivington Hall Golf Club
Dunholme Manor Golf & CC
Douro Valley Par 3
Douro Valley Resort
Herons' Reach Golf Links

leslie.sangster

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2019, 05:20:58 PM »
I had this happen to me a couple of times at the start.

All I ended up doing was closing down Chad's tool and re-starting it again.

Re-choose the course folder, import course etc but just run the import from OSM etc options, don't re-run the Lidar data as it should still be there, then try importing the course again and saving it straight to your TGC course file folder. Make sure you delete any previous versions of the course in that folder first as I'm not sure if that was causing an issue for me but after doing all these steps it has worked first time since.
@Han is the import of Lidar data the same process from the UK site as Chad showed us from the US site.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Han

• GroupMember
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2019, 05:32:24 PM »
@Han is the import of Lidar data the same process from the UK site as Chad showed us from the US site.

Yes, although remember to put the number "27700" in the box above the main window labelled "Force Lidar EPSG Projection" before clicking on "Select Lidar and Generate Heightmap"...…..or at least I think I have had to add that number for UK Lidar data every time so far for it to work properly, maybe try it without first and if it doesn't work then just add it in and run it again.
TGC 2019 Courses :
The Belfry - Brabazon RC
Oakmere Golf Club
Rivington Hall Golf Club
Dunholme Manor Golf & CC
Douro Valley Par 3
Douro Valley Resort
Herons' Reach Golf Links

leslie.sangster

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2019, 05:34:21 PM »

Yes, although remember to put the number "27700" in the box above the main window labelled "Force Lidar EPSG Projection" before clicking on "Select Lidar and Generate Heightmap"...…..or at least I think I have had to add that number for UK Lidar data every time so far for it to work properly, maybe try it without first and if it doesn't work then just add it in and run it again.
What does the number represent

Han

• GroupMember
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2019, 05:43:29 PM »
I'm not 100% sure what it actually represents to be honest.  It's to do with the metadata for the Lidar info you are supplying to the Tool.

I think it is basically like an ID code that tells the tool what area of the world the data is from, what scales and measurements are used there etc etc so it can generate an accurate heightmap (or something like that).

I'm sure Chad will be able to tell you more accurately then I can, although I have heard that Google is your friend  ;) ;D
TGC 2019 Courses :
The Belfry - Brabazon RC
Oakmere Golf Club
Rivington Hall Golf Club
Dunholme Manor Golf & CC
Douro Valley Par 3
Douro Valley Resort
Herons' Reach Golf Links

leslie.sangster

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2019, 05:54:49 PM »
I'm not 100% sure what it actually represents to be honest.  It's to do with the metadata for the Lidar info you are supplying to the Tool.

I think it is basically like an ID code that tells the tool what area of the world the data is from, what scales and measurements are used there etc etc so it can generate an accurate heightmap (or something like that).

I'm sure Chad will be able to tell you more accurately then I can, although I have heard that Google is your friend  ;) ;D
Thanks Han that makes sense

space-cash