Lofoten Links

• 11 Replies

AndersNM

« on: August 16, 2019, 07:53:44 AM »
Lofoten Links in northern Norway. The course is located at Gimsoeya in Lofoten and designed by Jeremy Turner. More info can be found here: https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/lofoten-links.

I would highly recommend strong winds and fast greens for a challenging round of golf. I do hope I gave the course justice.

Yeltzman

• http://www.twitter.com/yeltzy
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 11:22:53 AM »
I hope i played the right course there was 3 others there with same sort of picture just played newest one.Usually moan about 187 greens but with this course being so short thought it suited the course well for me challenge wise.Left myself in a few awkward spots and it cost me a few shots,for a short course really enjoyed.The sim guys might enjoy this one.

AndersNM

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 12:08:56 PM »
Yes, it is the right course.
The 3 others are the same course published three times (I don't know why that course is published three times) - I didn't know anyone had done this course, though you now can compare lidar to non-lidar.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 02:56:19 PM by AndersNM »

ErnieEls

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 05:58:02 PM »
Well done!

I just played the course on my PlayStation and I was instantly brought back to my round on this course a few years ago.

Itˋs a shame the course plays so easy on the PlayStation, it really dies nit in real life. I will definetly try it on my simulator.

The only thing I would change is the amount of high rough and bushes you placed. The course looks a bit too clean to me. Maybe this is due to the plantmeter but perhaps you could add some more.

I gave it ***** never the less.

Ivo

AndersNM

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 03:39:36 AM »
Well done!

I just played the course on my PlayStation and I was instantly brought back to my round on this course a few years ago.

Itˋs a shame the course plays so easy on the PlayStation, it really dies nit in real life. I will definetly try it on my simulator.

The only thing I would change is the amount of high rough and bushes you placed. The course looks a bit too clean to me. Maybe this is due to the plantmeter but perhaps you could add some more.

I gave it ***** never the less.

Ivo

Thanks for the feedback

Yes, it do look too neat. To me, it seems the designer is suited best for neat parkland courses (which we don't have a lot of in Norway). I find lack of scrubs and textures (I tried some dirt textures and I didn't like the look of it) in the designer - so wilderness is something that isn't easy. I have said it before - I think we need more textures - tall grass, scrubs, rocky terrain, different kinds of dirt. And it need to blend together so not create hard lines between them to look natural.

Part-Time Jaffa

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 04:16:12 AM »
Just got around to playing Lofoten & really enjoyed this one. Can't say my knowledge of Norwegian courses is that good but looking forward to getting some solid info beside me next round and playing along. Loved the course. Thought the sizing of everything was perfect for this game - fairway widths, greens, bunkers, mounding etc. Some wicked slope coupled in with all that makes for a nice strategic round. A welcomed addition to the favourites folder. Cheers for sharing & hoping to see more plays & HCP status on this one.

Ariel Atom

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 08:17:21 PM »
I saw Kent play your course 'reviewing' it for TGCTours approval, and maybe some of your pins were a bit adventurous for the green speed choice (they played pin 3 btw, TGCT reviewers almost never play pin one because pin set 1s are less likely to have those issues)? Was thinking with a couple of those made 'legal' per their general 'no yellow within a 3x3 box of the hole' rule either with slightly easier locations or a lower default green speed, this course very well could end up on a tour sometime this coming season. Because of that they decided to mark it as 'approved' and not 'tour worthy' and wanted to let you know that was the primary reason it missed out on that designation. It's loads of fun to play and is quite the interesting layout as well, too good not to say something about that to you. No idea if you'd want to reach out to some of them and see if they can offer some advice on that, if you're looking for the course to get a lot more play.

Also, if you want some waste area inspiration make sure to check out some of bspetty's courses, particularly his version of Cypress Point Club. Perhaps Kill Devil Hills worth a look as well, and I'm sure I'm missing several more really well-done courses with 'not so clean' environments.

AndersNM

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 01:54:12 AM »
I saw Kent play your course 'reviewing' it for TGCTours approval, and maybe some of your pins were a bit adventurous for the green speed choice (they played pin 3 btw, TGCT reviewers almost never play pin one because pin set 1s are less likely to have those issues)? Was thinking with a couple of those made 'legal' per their general 'no yellow within a 3x3 box of the hole' rule either with slightly easier locations or a lower default green speed, this course very well could end up on a tour sometime this coming season. Because of that they decided to mark it as 'approved' and not 'tour worthy' and wanted to let you know that was the primary reason it missed out on that designation. It's loads of fun to play and is quite the interesting layout as well, too good not to say something about that to you. No idea if you'd want to reach out to some of them and see if they can offer some advice on that, if you're looking for the course to get a lot more play.

Also, if you want some waste area inspiration make sure to check out some of bspetty's courses, particularly his version of Cypress Point Club. Perhaps Kill Devil Hills worth a look as well, and I'm sure I'm missing several more really well-done courses with 'not so clean' environments.

The third and fourth pin sets are meant to be more challenging. I am making tour-version also of this course, so I will address the pins. As I am working on the tour-version of my courses I do see that some pins could be better placed (this is mostly for the third and fourth pin sets), so changes will be made - I do agree that one should abide by the 3x3 rule (as a rule, there should be at least three feet around the pin that is gently sloped), though I do want to keep the default green speed due to the short course and links-style.

That said, I am not concerned about any status or how many plays or these things. I do however appreciate feedback, and pins should always be fair even when challenging.

Part-Time Jaffa

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2019, 03:39:35 AM »
4 or 5 pins on pin set no. 2 you may want to check too mate re: 3x3 rule/yellow grid lines

neilwilkes

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 07:49:16 AM »
I saw a YouTube filmette about this course 2 days ago, and it looked spectacular so I had to see if it was included here and was very pleased to find it.
Only had one round so far, but even though I left far too many out there with 4 bogies (all unforced errors on my part) and kept getting tap-in pars from within a few inches, I had a great time playing it.
Used the default settings for this one, and personally have no problems at all with 180+ greens and actually prefer these to the slower 144 and under which I always struggle on as it is hard to make yourself hit the ball hard enough.
Played the tour version, but will play the next round without all the empty stands cluttering up the gorgeous view.
5 stars with no hesitation from me - a spectacular course and a great rendition of it too.

AndersNM

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 08:47:48 AM »
Thanks - yes the course is quite playable but challenging with fast greens.

CHAMOO

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2019, 10:26:14 AM »
Check out the cover of the latest issue of Golf Magazine.

I enjoyed playing this course a few weeks ago on my sim and instantly recognized the hole when I saw it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 10:44:33 AM by CHAMOO »

space-cash