Sand Piper National

• 21 Replies

NevadaBallin

« on: April 09, 2015, 04:07:58 PM »
Yards: 7217
Firmness: Medium
Greens: Med fast

A little back story behind this course. Initially it was going to be an experiment in course routing. Nothing but the terrain i created, fairway, greens and bunkers. I turned all the trees, landscape dials down to zero. Nothing but  a blank canvas of barren wasteland.

After finishing and playing through, I was happy with it but I couldn't just let it be - it looked too much like a skeleton.

So I went off. Planting bar up to 3/4's by the time i was done. Everything you see, i put there for the most part.

THIS IS A THINKING MAN'S COURSE. Do not take everything you see at face value. Example: 7th hole is a par 5 - if you go driver off the tee, you will probably hate yourself (or me lol). Go 3 iron off the tee and you could get there in 2. Sounds odd? You'll understand when you play it :)

Pics to come
Twitch Channel>  http://www.twitch.tv/YoNevadaBallin

Come by and say hello

***TGC 2019 Courses***
- Montreux Barracuda (RCR Montreux, Reno, NV)
- St Alphonso GC FXD
- Idlewild South Memorial GC
- Bacarra Golf Club

NevadaBallin

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 04:16:37 PM »
Oh yea, my apologies for Hole 15. Don't ask, I have no answer, it just happened. lol

Come by and say hello

***TGC 2019 Courses***
- St Alphonso GC FXD
- Bacarra Golf Club

NevadaBallin

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 07:01:13 PM »
Some pics....

Come by and say hello

***TGC 2019 Courses***
- St Alphonso GC FXD
- Bacarra Golf Club

NevadaBallin

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 07:04:13 PM »

Come by and say hello

***TGC 2019 Courses***
- St Alphonso GC FXD
- Bacarra Golf Club

NevadaBallin

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 07:06:20 PM »
Oh yea, I forgot to mention........ there are zero water hazards. :)

Come by and say hello

***TGC 2019 Courses***
- St Alphonso GC FXD
- Bacarra Golf Club

NevadaBallin

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 04:02:44 PM »
Is it too complex? lol

Come by and say hello

***TGC 2019 Courses***
- St Alphonso GC FXD
- Bacarra Golf Club

karma4u

• GroupMember
  • I know a little german
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 04:13:06 PM »
i played it -10.......i enjoyed the course, thought the planting was nicely done and great attention to details..will play again  :)

NevadaBallin

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 04:46:50 PM »
i played it -10.......i enjoyed the course, thought the planting was nicely done and great attention to details..will play again  :)

Cool, glad you liked it. That's a good score for sure Karma, well played man. Did the 15th hole give you a "what?" moment? lol

I'm hoping it isn't too far out of the box and people enjoy it for what it is. It's certainly a big sway from what I'm accustomed to designing. 

Come by and say hello

***TGC 2019 Courses***
- St Alphonso GC FXD
- Bacarra Golf Club

Wallbanger29

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 05:34:15 PM »
Cool course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

karma4u

• GroupMember
  • I know a little german
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 07:31:20 PM »

Cool, glad you liked it. That's a good score for sure Karma, well played man. Did the 15th hole give you a "what?" moment? lol

I'm hoping it isn't too far out of the box and people enjoy it for what it is. It's certainly a big sway from what I'm accustomed to designing.

Nah, i think 15 is a pretty cool hole, should have birdied it both times. Really like that view from the 16th tee box...It's a fun course Jimmy, i faved it.........Cheers  ;D

Crazycanuck1985

• GroupMember
    • TGCToursTV Twitch Channel
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 02:37:34 AM »
I know we didn't see eye to eye on your last course, so I thought I would give your new one a look. I WAS able to finish all 18 this time  :) and for the most part, enjoyed it. I thought it was a cool, fun layout that didn't take itself too seriously, with some neat holes. I thought your greens were very well done.

A few constructive criticisms...
- bunkers. Much too deep, especially in the middle. Your long bunkers had a "hot dog bun" effect. Many bunkers were also placed on the sides of slopes, creating a "sand wall" effect. I landed on the side of one and had to chip backwards to get out of it.
-planting. A few trees directly on the fairway, also quite uniform and unnatural looking.
- a few too many of the uphill plateau holes. I really liked #5, but the others, not so much. I got stuck halfway up the hill on 7 (due to me not playing the whole right), but became stuck and took a 12....
-Hole 15...you said not to ask, so I won't!

A nice improvement over your last course. Gave it a solid 7 and approved on TGCT. Tried out your 100% technique as I'm struggling getting full shots. I was seeing some improvement, but wasn't getting it all the time. Timing must be off.

NevadaBallin

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 03:28:24 AM »
I know we didn't see eye to eye on your last course, so I thought I would give your new one a look. I WAS able to finish all 18 this time  :) and for the most part, enjoyed it. I thought it was a cool, fun layout that didn't take itself too seriously, with some neat holes. I thought your greens were very well done.

A few constructive criticisms...
- bunkers. Much too deep, especially in the middle. Your long bunkers had a "hot dog bun" effect. Many bunkers were also placed on the sides of slopes, creating a "sand wall" effect. I landed on the side of one and had to chip backwards to get out of it.
-planting. A few trees directly on the fairway, also quite uniform and unnatural looking.
- a few too many of the uphill plateau holes. I really liked #5, but the others, not so much. I got stuck halfway up the hill on 7 (due to me not playing the whole right), but became stuck and took a 12....
-Hole 15...you said not to ask, so I won't!

A nice improvement over your last course. Gave it a solid 7 and approved on TGCT. Tried out your 100% technique as I'm struggling getting full shots. I was seeing some improvement, but wasn't getting it all the time. Timing must be off.

Thanks CC, not even concerned about the last course, we always move forward bud.

"fun layout that didn't take itself too seriously" you hit the nail on the head, that's exactly what it is. I wanted to experiment with elevations and terrain shaping, see what sticks and what doesn't. But i don't remember putting trees in the fairway... I'll have to play through and see those. I do need to settle down with the bunkers but working on it.

Thanks for not asking about 15.... lol

Come by and say hello

***TGC 2019 Courses***
- St Alphonso GC FXD
- Bacarra Golf Club

JOE golfer G

• 4 Handicap Golfer
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 08:24:18 AM »
So I have been meaning to ask you Nevada........ What's the crack with 15?

NevadaBallin

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 02:21:47 PM »

haha, i knew someone would ask sooner or later.

Ok, here's the deal with 15. When I built this course, the first thing I did was shape the terrain. The idea was to give myself a mesa plot and build into it. While I was creating that particular piece of land, i thought it looked pretty cool with the ripple effect hillside and wanted to figure out a hole for it when I got there during the actual course layout.

Initially, the pin was on the 3rd tier up. When I decided that I wanted 16 and 17 to share a fairway, I moved the pin on 15 up to where it is now because there was a natural turn to the clubhouse for the 16th tee box.. It also gave a fantastic challenging tee shot into the shared fairway.

This course literally built itself. The only plan I had going in was to work with the terrain, elevations and routing. After that, it was an improv.

Come by and say hello

***TGC 2019 Courses***
- St Alphonso GC FXD
- Bacarra Golf Club

JOE golfer G

• 4 Handicap Golfer
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 01:57:54 PM »

haha, i knew someone would ask sooner or later.

Ok, here's the deal with 15. When I built this course, the first thing I did was shape the terrain. The idea was to give myself a mesa plot and build into it. While I was creating that particular piece of land, i thought it looked pretty cool with the ripple effect hillside and wanted to figure out a hole for it when I got there during the actual course layout.

Initially, the pin was on the 3rd tier up. When I decided that I wanted 16 and 17 to share a fairway, I moved the pin on 15 up to where it is now because there was a natural turn to the clubhouse for the 16th tee box.. It also gave a fantastic challenging tee shot into the shared fairway.

This course literally built itself. The only plan I had going in was to work with the terrain, elevations and routing. After that, it was an improv.

Interesting way to build/plot out a course by building your landscape first, I fancy trying that sometime. Enjoyed the course pal but I can't remember my score, I'm pretty sure I beat you though lol.

space-cash