First group off...early morning course lighting

• 8 Replies

hendersondayton

« on: April 15, 2015, 09:58:52 AM »
I am sure, those of us who are golfers, can picture how cool it is to be standing on the first tee box as the first card off. Dew on the grass and even thin fog trailing all over.

Here is a great image that helps you follow:

http://publicradio1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/newscut/files/legacy/content_images/tiger_woods_aug11.jpg

Long shadows...etc.

It seems the only option I really have with the GNCD as is would be to mess with the lighting to get that early morning affect.

FIRST: What are your suggestions to achieve this morning-like feel with the lighting?

SECOND: A few suggestions for the GNCD:

-ADD in progressive lighting effects. Have the sun move across the sky or something!
-ADD some kind of fog effect. Will indeed mess with performance. But its a setting the user could turn on and off.
-ADD some kind of dew/water like effect. Imagine water spinning off the ball. Putts are slower, roll outs are less. Etc.

onhobobobohno

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 03:03:09 PM »
I tried an early morning look while creating my US Open Course entry, and it does look really good, but I can see where some might say it is a little too dark for gameplay.  I'm not sure if I'm going to go back to it .  The lighting of an early morning look  makes hills look really nice. 

shotts44

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 11:10:44 AM »
I did a links course "Hurst Point CC" with a low sun, I think it looks good, but some complained that the sun was too low. All I needed was the dew on the grass and I would have been happy.

DoGgzbollox

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 12:13:43 PM »
i dont understand the too dark arguement, i can only think that playing via console on a rubbish tv may come across as too dark, i love the lighting when its early morning or dusk and most of my courses are made using it...just cant please some people no matter what you do.

hendersondayton

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 12:15:21 PM »
I am experimenting with the lighting on my current course for the purpose of early morning play...long shadows...only issue I am seeing now is the sun can be blinding in some spots.

Nightowl

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 01:01:58 PM »
Is there a reason HB hasn't given us the option to choose the time of day when we play a round?

Acrilix

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 05:59:29 AM »
Is there a reason HB hasn't given us the option to choose the time of day when we play a round?

There must be a reason because it would add so much to the game!!! I'm guessing it's the same reason that they've added the new weather options only in the GNCD.
My last 7 courses (newest first):
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Brackenridge Nine by Acrilix
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

Ninja_Prime

• Ninja_Prime at Youtube
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 05:57:46 AM »
What would really be cool is to have some sort of dynamic time of day implemented, like so many games these day. How difficult would that be to do? Surely the Unity engine is capable of that?
I noticed that the new May update does have a misty option, like the rain option they have introduced, I am still trying to figure out if the rain actually effects game play as it does in real life?
There is no  shame in defeat, there is only shame if you do not learn from it.

Nightowl

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 05:07:30 PM »

There must be a reason because it would add so much to the game!!! I'm guessing it's the same reason that they've added the new weather options only in the GNCD.
Same question pertains to the weather options, yes.  Is there an "official" reason that I don't know about? 

space-cash