Author Topic: The Snooker Club  (Read 17939 times)

stan_solo

Re: The Snooker Club
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2015, 02:21:06 PM »
My highest break in real life (55)
Never found the 'holy grail' of a century.....simply not good enough.
You need an element of luck as well...but trying to keep that cue ball on a piece of string...I was forever running out of position  ::)

sarintra

• Golf Club Addict
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2015, 02:33:46 PM »
My highest break in real life (55)
Never found the 'holy grail' of a century.....simply not good enough.
You need an element of luck as well...but trying to keep that cue ball on a piece of string...I was forever running out of position  ::)

Lets just say i was a little bit better than that ;) but i did spend an awful lot of time in a snooker hall almost turning pro at 18 and realising that i was just very good but not good enough
P1 SEL on xboxone

TGC Tours Paul Seldon

DoGgzbollox

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2015, 02:41:40 PM »
My highest break is 131, had more centuries than i can remember.  Used to play the pro am in pontins north wales every year...had a few opportunities to turn pro over a 10 year period but always knew i was never quite good enough...i made more money playing night flyers throughout south wales than i would have playing as a pro....lol how many people can say they have played snooker and golf with kirk stevens ;) top bloke too
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 02:43:59 PM by DoGgzbollox »

sarintra

• Golf Club Addict
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2015, 02:59:38 PM »
My highest break is 131, had more centuries than i can remember.  Used to play the pro am in pontins north wales every year...had a few opportunities to turn pro over a 10 year period but always knew i was never quite good enough...i made more money playing night flyers throughout south wales than i would have playing as a pro....lol how many people can say they have played snooker and golf with kirk stevens ;) top bloke too

Prestatyn i presume. Spent many a weekend there.

When snooker was really popular back in the 80's there were a lot of great amateurs around. I met most of the pro's in those days had some coaching too but always realised that i wasn't quite good enough. The only way to be a pro in those days was to win the English amateur championship which my friend Nigel Bond won or buy in directly I think it was about £500 at the time could be wrong it might have been more.  I miss the smoke filled snooker halls.

Now i play pool VERY WELL :)
P1 SEL on xboxone

TGC Tours Paul Seldon

DoGgzbollox

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2015, 03:06:43 PM »
Prestatyn yeah lol...happy days!  they operated a points system for players looking to turn pro, you had to earn so many points in the week, i managed the requirement twice in 10 years but never took the opportunity, we just used to go to get a chance to play the stars of the day, get pissed and pull a bird... nowadays anyone can turn pro, no more characters left in the game sadly.

sarintra

• Golf Club Addict
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2015, 03:08:37 PM »
Prestatyn yeah lol...happy days!  they operated a points system for players looking to turn pro, you had to earn so many points in the week, i managed the requirement twice in 10 years but never took the opportunity, we just used to go to get a chance to play the stars of the day, get pissed and pull a bird... nowadays anyone can turn pro, no more characters left in the game sadly.

I miss those days. Whatever happened to this country. No characters anywhere apart from us oldies lol
P1 SEL on xboxone

TGC Tours Paul Seldon

DoGgzbollox

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2015, 03:14:53 PM »
not sure if you remember mark bennet...welsh pro from newbridge, had so much talent yet pissed it all away...he was due to play John parrott in the first round at the crucible on the saturday morning (opening day) Parrott was the defending champ.  On the friday he was in my local club in south wales practising, at 6pm he joined us for a pub crawl that ended back at the snooker club, his manager was waiting for him doing his nut...4 a.m he drove him to sheffield to play Parrott at 10 a.m...lol he was bladdered...Parrott beat him 10-9 in a thriller...he still looked pissed on tv...so funny ;D

sarintra

• Golf Club Addict
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2015, 03:26:10 PM »
not sure if you remember mark bennet...welsh pro from newbridge, had so much talent yet pissed it all away...he was due to play John parrott in the first round at the crucible on the saturday morning (opening day) Parrott was the defending champ.  On the friday he was in my local club in south wales practising, at 6pm he joined us for a pub crawl that ended back at the snooker club, his manager was waiting for him doing his nut...4 a.m he drove him to sheffield to play Parrott at 10 a.m...lol he was bladdered...Parrott beat him 10-9 in a thriller...he still looked pissed on tv...so funny ;D

I remember them all. He was very talented. Jimmy White poled up at a place where I worked in the kitchens. They were hosting a tournament. He was pissed at around 11 am when he showed up minus a bow tie which he had to wear. My friend went out and bought him one. Even Steve Davis who was the most boring of them all is much more interesting than these guys today
P1 SEL on xboxone

TGC Tours Paul Seldon

DoGgzbollox

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2015, 03:31:00 PM »
lol i used to hate steve davis back in the day, he's alright though, i think barry hearn kept him on the leash back then...barry's cash cow i guess, not that steve was ever a wild one compared to higgins and white.

sarintra

• Golf Club Addict
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2015, 03:45:46 PM »
lol i used to hate steve davis back in the day, he's alright though, i think barry hearn kept him on the leash back then...barry's cash cow i guess, not that steve was ever a wild one compared to higgins and white.

He used to practise with his dad in my club at Clay Cross when the world championships was on. Liked his bandits did Steve. His father who had health issues passed away. Nice fella
P1 SEL on xboxone

TGC Tours Paul Seldon

stan_solo

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2015, 06:19:59 PM »
Nice stories guys......I remember playing better when I was drunk ! ( I think )

Did meet Jimmy White and John Virgo when they toured together and seen some pro's play when the premier league was in my town (Williams,Murphy,Ding)

Also read Alex Higgins book.....crazy stuff......a real maverick like White & O'Sullivan.

DoGgzbollox

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2015, 06:35:30 PM »
Pool nation fx just released a brilliant update today, pool hall lobby system with ongoing games and available games, so easy to jump in and play a bit of MP.
snooker has been improved with better A.I and faster cloth speed...if anyone si thinking of getting a pool/snooker sim this one is the one to go for, pure pool is decent but MP is non existant, pool nation fx is shaping up to be the go to game...currently 50% off and the best 5 quid you will ever spend on steam...brilliant.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 07:14:50 PM by DoGgzbollox »

stan_solo

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2015, 08:44:44 PM »
^^^^^^ thanks for the info ^^^^^^^

blueorfe

• GroupMember
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2015, 08:20:30 PM »
I've always longed for a proper snooker game.

The one thing that they always get wrong is cloth speed and cushion springiness.

Nearly every game that I have played the cushions are just completely dead and the ball doesn't run out nearly enough. They just feel totally unrealistic.

I haven't played a snooker game since the old WSC games which were plagued with those problems, I gave up after that as they weren't improving.

Looking at these two videos, I would say having not played either, that VP4 looks streets ahead regarding cloth and cushion speed even though the graphics look dated. PP looks gorgeous, but the physics look off to me, slow and not much cushion bounce.

Have the guys that have played both found them to play that way?

VP4  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUyI2hgbmFI

PP    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=murBtUqxs34

I haven't played snooker for a few years but I used to play regularly, my highest break is 66. One thing that I always hated was turning up at a snooker hall and finding the tables to be slow.
I never understand why game developers who make snooker games make tables with slow conditions. I mean they must like snooker to make a snooker game? so why is there so much lack of understanding for the need for tables to play as they do in real life?
When using side on these games, they all seem to suffer from running out of side after hitting the first cushion. IRL it is easy to have running side still in effect after hitting 3 or more cushions, so why not in a video game?
Steam -  blueorfe
PSN    -   blueorfe

i5 4690k 4.1Ghz
MSI GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X
MSI z97 gaming 3
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3
EVGA SuperNOVA 850W
DS4 Controller
Windows 10 pro 64 bit

HGD Twelve Bridges Tournament Edition
HGD Walkers Heath Park

[img]http://i.imgur.com/

DoGgzbollox

« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2015, 09:39:35 AM »
Pool nation FX recently got a cloth speed update, its pretty much superb now and pretty realistic, don't be fooled by the title, the snooker element is the best i have played, and it has career mode with it...pure pool is terrible. VP4 is decent but no career and dated graphics.

space-cash