Perfect Golf

• 8827 Replies

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #8730 on: August 12, 2018, 08:12:58 PM »
Does TGC still have the spyglass aiming arrow assist thing?
My memory right on that?

Physically, I can't see that it does.  I've set my puttering marker 158 feet away on a three foot putt and hit the three foot putt with the strength I thought it needed, and it felt right.  OTOH, I can set the putting marker 2 feet away and hit a putt with full strength and it went scooting well off the green, +60 feet.

The putting marker gives me a target to aim for in distance and direction.  I imagine myself trying to stop the ball at the point where I set the marker.   So it's a mental aid, IMO, that no longer fits the definition of "Spyglass Effect".

if it’s gone, wasn’t that part of TGC1?  (I’m getting old on memory here)

I don't remember how strong the spyglass effect was in TGC 1, if at all.  I'm getting old also  ;)
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

leslie.sangster

« Reply #8731 on: August 12, 2018, 08:26:30 PM »
The spyglass effect only works if you set the marker somewhere near where you want to hit it,  if you set the marker at 158 ft and hit a 3 ft putt it won’t take effect the same as if you set the marker at two ft for a three foot putt and hit it at maximum it won’t work. It only works if your near to the distance you set it at.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Buck

« Reply #8732 on: August 12, 2018, 08:29:44 PM »
The spyglass effect only works if you set the marker somewhere near where you want to hit it,  if you set the marker at 158 ft and hit a 3 ft putt it won’t take effect the same as if you set the marker at two ft for a three foot putt and hit it at maximum it won’t work. It only works if your near to the distance you set it at.

So it is indeed still a “thing” then?

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #8733 on: August 12, 2018, 08:34:26 PM »
I never liked the “Spyglass Effect” in TGC1. It’s  still in TGC2 (although not as pronounced) otherwise there would be no need to move the aiming arrow forward or backward.

The swing in TW10 was so smooth for all swings, especially for putting. The only thing missing was the tempo element from TGC2.

-MERACE

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #8734 on: August 12, 2018, 08:42:16 PM »

Excellent perspective on this Leslie... I had not really considered what you're describing in my evaluation.  I may not be as good at controlling the desired putt strength as I thought I was based on your break down... which sounds very plausible.  I'm going to test this out on the practice green, where I can hit mulligans.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #8735 on: August 13, 2018, 03:45:19 AM »
Someone described it in great detail a couple months ago.  It is definitely a thing. 

Think of it as a forgiveness bulge around where you set it.  If you're putting a few feet longer or shorter than where it is set, you're outside the bulge and it will have no real effect. 

And if you do set it near the hole and then put the perfect weight on your putt anyway, it has no effect because you didn't need the help. 

leslie.sangster

« Reply #8736 on: August 13, 2018, 05:08:40 AM »

Excellent perspective on this Leslie... I had not really considered what you're describing in my evaluation.  I may not be as good at controlling the desired putt strength as I thought I was based on your break down... which sounds very plausible.  I'm going to test this out on the practice green, where I can hit mulligans.
The trouble on the practice green is it’s relatively flat so I think the effect will be less noticeable. Personally I think they should get rid of it or reduce its effect significantly then you need to rely on your own backswing length and/or speed of swing. I know from my own play I tend to hit most putts to hard as I knock them through the break, I’m constantly trying to hit my putts with a slower tempo and if I succeed I hole it more times than miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #8737 on: August 13, 2018, 06:51:15 AM »

So it is indeed still a “thing” then?

Yes, it’s very well implemented and in line with good real life putting methods.

Buck

« Reply #8738 on: August 13, 2018, 12:41:47 PM »

Personally I think they should get rid of it or reduce its effect significantly then you need to rely on your own backswing length and/or speed of swing.

Totally agreed.
Nothing is more realistic than controlling the power completely yourself.

mebby

« Reply #8739 on: August 13, 2018, 12:52:28 PM »

Personally I think they should get rid of it or reduce its effect significantly then you need to rely on your own backswing length and/or speed of swing.

Totally agreed.

Yes.  I think this will have a significant impact if they ever decide to do it.  Meanwhile ADX/Pious Pete is saying it's impossible because of too much controller variability.  I've literally tested every controller I can get my hands on and haven't noticed any issues across two platforms (PC and PS4).  Not saying that others aren't but... I did not experience it.  The ONLY thing I've noticed is a difference in frame rates from my PC to to PS4 and that can impact you a little bit if you are constantly going between the two platforms but once you settle in on the lower FPS of the PS4 the issue goes away.
Steam Name - Turnerm05

Buck

« Reply #8740 on: August 13, 2018, 12:59:21 PM »
Sounds like we should just call him ADXPP

;D

mebby

« Reply #8741 on: August 13, 2018, 01:09:48 PM »
Sounds like we should just call him ADXPP

;D

Took me a while to figure out who it was but given enough time... his normal tone has started to surface.
Steam Name - Turnerm05

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #8742 on: August 13, 2018, 02:24:26 PM »

Totally agreed.

Why? Not the same tool.

No gravity and weight to guide power.

Great putting is about defining the target and then get out of your own way. Concious manipulation can never lead to world class putting.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 02:26:11 PM by McBogga »

Buck

« Reply #8743 on: August 13, 2018, 02:41:52 PM »
Anyways, let's move on.
Putting spyglass thing in TGC is way off the topic of Perfect Golf

(fully admit I helped go off topic..)

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #8744 on: August 14, 2018, 12:48:11 AM »
Well, switching the topic back to Perfect Golf, I know there's no spyglass effect in it.  My most feared putt in that game are the two to three footers, because it's so easy to hit them too strongly.  OTOH, I'm pretty decent in the 5 to 15 foot putt range in Perfect Golf.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

space-cash