Perfect Golf

• 8787 Replies

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #8745 on: November 06, 2018, 03:45:15 PM »
Got to play a round on a TrackMan simulator last weekend. The PG software is absolutely awesome. Putting was great and ball physics felt really good.

I'd love to try this on a Trackman simulator... how does the putting feel on the simulator?  I've always wondered if you needed a green type surface, at least 5 to 8 feet worth, to get the feel needed for this?

Its a bit wierd before you get the hang of it. The place I go to has about 10 feet of mat between the ball and screen. You basically putt based on the distance and its really only good practice for start line. TrackMan is really good at measuring putts however, really solid and believable results.

Overall simulators tend to play 4-5 shots lower than real golf in my experience. No sidehill or bad lies. Managed to get around Birkdale in 71 shots, which would not have been the case IRL with the way I was driving the ball... Did make some nice putts.

The PG sim software is clearly superior to TGC. Much better ball interaction with the ground, and realistic roll on the greens.

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #8746 on: November 06, 2018, 06:07:52 PM »
I agree.  It beats flicking a stick though and keeps you in golf shape.  Both TGC and PG are superior to other sim software IMO. 

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #8747 on: November 06, 2018, 07:34:05 PM »
You guys are making me jealous with this Trackman talk :D  I wouldn't have a place in my house to support a Trackman setup, even if I had the money.  I've kicked myself many times over for not having a basement built in my house when we were planning it, 33 years ago...  :'(

I guess everybody would have to work out their own technique for putting on a simulator.  It's hard for me to get a grip on how it would feel and look, but I'm sure I could eventually come up with something that would work out.  It sounds like there's some flexibility with that part of the game.

TaS, your cup in the ground setup is one I've wondered about when contemplating a simulator setup.  I can't see how it would benefit you though until you had a putt that required 8 feet worth of putt strength.  What do you do when you have a 30 foot putt, for example?

One final thought on this... does it ever get to be a bit cumbersome having to go back and forth between the keyboard and mouse, to select clubs, setup the shot, take aim, etc.?  I could tolerate that for the experience of actually hitting a real golf ball with a real club and having it properly tracked, I'd imagine.  Are there ways to streamline that process?
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #8748 on: November 06, 2018, 08:03:25 PM »
It quickly gets into your “pre shot routine”. Not a big deal, imo.

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #8749 on: November 06, 2018, 10:01:56 PM »
You don't have to select clubs.  Just hit it and the launch monitor reads what the ball does.  The sim version of the software has been modified with Mulligan's, gimmies, etc and you can set how long before it moves on to the next shot. 

For longer putts, I just hit it harder.  I have 5 holes set up on that side of the basement and that one just is in the center line for a reference point. 

Maybe I can do some course playthroughs when the new sim version comes out.   It's stuck on tgc1 right now. 

stan_solo

« Reply #8750 on: March 02, 2019, 07:02:02 AM »
*  BUMP  *                                   

FRSTDWN

« Reply #8751 on: March 04, 2019, 08:28:59 PM »
I have one in my basement and I have a cup in the ground straight toward the screen.  I have the green speeds calibrated so that a flat 8' putt in the game (on TGC) will go exactly 8 feet on my putting green.  So it's as good as you can get, but it's always going to be tough to get true feel when you're not outside. 

With friends, I prefer to play to the green area on the sim and then settle the holes out by chipping and putting for real on the basement green.

Can I ask what set up do have and the rough cost of it ? I have come so close to getting a simulator but have never pulled the trigger. Doubt I could afford a trackman but just curious. Thanks.
RIP TIM AKA DIVOTMAKER YOU WILL BE MISSED!

XB1 X
Scuf Elite Controller
LG C7
Denon AVR-S920W Receiver
Klipsch Surround sound
Fiber 250 Down Up

TGC 2019 Multiplayer Community Club
4 Letter Word No assists Society
TST Tour Member

GOLF IS A 4 LETTER WORD
LOFT IT UP

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #8752 on: March 04, 2019, 09:20:44 PM »
I have one in my basement and I have a cup in the ground straight toward the screen.  I have the green speeds calibrated so that a flat 8' putt in the game (on TGC) will go exactly 8 feet on my putting green.  So it's as good as you can get, but it's always going to be tough to get true feel when you're not outside. 

With friends, I prefer to play to the green area on the sim and then settle the holes out by chipping and putting for real on the basement green.

Can I ask what set up do have and the rough cost of it ? I have come so close to getting a simulator but have never pulled the trigger. Doubt I could afford a trackman but just curious. Thanks.
I bought a used gc2 for $3,500.  Ordered a custom screen, baffles, and frame covering Velcro strips from par2pro and installed myself with angle iron frame.  Got a gaming PC and projector.  Use TGC software through protee. 

I had someone drill 5 holes in my concrete floor for $50 per hole.  Then paid someone to turf over it with pretty nice turf.   

Total all in cost was probably about $12K, unless I'm forgetting certain costs.  It's a finished look though.  Could have probably done it for a few thousand less. 

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #8753 on: March 04, 2019, 10:34:33 PM »
*  BUMP  *                                   

Wish I had something of substance to add here Stan, but the news of PG 2 is non-existent right now, and the official forum has become a morgue.  I think the Trackman purchase of Perfect Parallel has shifted the focus toward the simulator end, but that's where their bread is being buttered right now.  I'd love to see a PG 2, at least for the PC, just to re-establish two viable players on at least the PC golf gaming market, but I'm not really holding out any hope for it at this point.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

stan_solo

« Reply #8754 on: March 05, 2019, 11:36:01 AM »

but the news of PG 2 is non-existent right now

There's no news on either forum anymore   .... what's going on

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #8755 on: March 05, 2019, 11:43:20 AM »
There's no news on either forum anymore   .... what's going on

Trackman and 2K, would be my guess.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

thegamblinggamer

« Reply #8756 on: April 16, 2019, 06:28:43 PM »
Has anyone here played PG I've just discovered it and I must say it's absolutely fantastic, very challenging with partial shots, short game very tough and putting even tougher, HB could learn alot from this game

mebby

« Reply #8757 on: April 16, 2019, 06:55:56 PM »
LOL!

Ummmm... there is a HUGE thread in the off-topic area but I warn you that it's of limited value.

But yes, many of us have played JNPG.  Some like it, some despise it.
Steam Name - Turnerm05
Xbox Live - Turnerm05

stan_solo

« Reply #8758 on: April 16, 2019, 06:59:11 PM »
Never heard of it 

thegamblinggamer

« Reply #8759 on: April 16, 2019, 07:04:52 PM »
LOL!

Ummmm... there is a HUGE thread in the off-topic area but I warn you that it's of limited value.

But yes, many of us have played JNPG.  Some like it, some despise it.
oh really excellent I will take a look, how can anyone despise it, I just download Augusta for it and it's stunning

space-cash