Perfect Golf

• 8691 Replies

stan_solo

« Reply #8685 on: May 15, 2019, 01:03:49 PM »
Perfect Golf gets 3D rough! 

Does look impressive  ... but we've been down this road before

... also lets have those bunkers in TGC  !

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #8686 on: May 15, 2019, 01:58:46 PM »

There's a 9 hole course (Woodhaven, by NoPutt) made with 3D rough that's already available for download and testing.  NoPutt is being careful to emphasize that this is just a test course and is not really  ready for competitive play.  I'm about to download it now and give it a try.  There are apparently all sorts of detail settings in this DirectX 11 Grass Shader tool that are already reportedly getting a wide array of performance and quality reports.  I think the designer of the course has to set them though, and if he's got a bang-up PC, he might use detail settings that will choke an average gaming PC like mine.

I'll give it a go and report back.
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

leslie.sangster

« Reply #8687 on: May 15, 2019, 02:07:23 PM »

There's a 9 hole course (Woodhaven, by NoPutt) made with 3D rough that's already available for download and testing.  NoPutt is being careful to emphasize that this is just a test course and is not really  ready for competitive play.  I'm about to download it now and give it a try.  There are apparently all sorts of detail settings in this DirectX 11 Grass Shader tool that are already reportedly getting a wide array of performance and quality reports.  I think the designer of the course has to set them though, and if he's got a bang-up PC, he might use detail settings that will choke an average gaming PC like mine.

I'll give it a go and report back.
I wonder if it will get used in a new TGC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #8688 on: May 15, 2019, 02:24:45 PM »
I wonder if it will get used in a new TGC

Good question... I don't know the answer though.  I don't understand how the licensing for Unity tools like the DirectX 11 Grass Shader work.  You can buy it on the Unity site for $20, but would that give you the right to use it in a commercial game for your own profit, without any royalties going to the tool's creator?  It looks like users can create courses using it in the game, but they aren't selling the courses for a profit.  I don't know how things would change if a developer, like Perfect Parallel (or more accurately nowdays, Trackman) included the tool in the game.  I'd imagine it would be more than a $20 charge, but I'm out of my box with royalty and copyright discussions.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #8689 on: May 16, 2019, 05:23:30 PM »
They get around it since the course creator is not part of PG - it is simply Unity with that Terrain Forge Add On.

For TGC it’s a very different situation as they have made their own course creator, so such a tool would be integrated in the game and therefore sold based on some sort of licensing model - I would assume. So extra dev work for HB and probably pretty tricky to find the right fidelity to not kill performance. Plus - might not work on PS4...

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #8690 on: May 17, 2019, 05:35:41 PM »
From what I've reading so far on the PP forums it looks like my mid spec laptop will not be able to run the courses with "3D" grasses at an acceptable frame rate.

As it is now, I'm only able to get about 20 fps on the "2D" grass courses.  :(

-MERACE

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #8691 on: May 17, 2019, 08:25:45 PM »
The 3D grass hasn't impacted my system all that much... maybe 5%, but it doesn't seem to be working right on my computer either.  My 3D rough doesn't look nearly as good as what they're showing in those screen shots.  I haven't tried the latest one today, but what I've seen so far I wouldn't want to play the game with the 3D grass on, at least not on my system.
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

space-cash