Is Crossfire ever going to be fixed?

• 19 Replies

grayefc

« on: June 16, 2015, 01:59:07 PM »
This is something that needs doing. along with SLI.

Given the poor performance of TGC even on high end rigs, i feel that it should be quite high up on the things to do list.
My courses

Barren isle links (9 hole par 3)
Northwest links pin 1-4
Half baked Alaska
Scots pine Ilse

In Progress

Northwest Links 2015
Scots Pine Isle 2015
Half Baked Alaska 2015 (country side version, major rework of the course)
Unnamed course 9 holes complete so far.

grayefc

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 01:12:49 PM »
still not fixed or no word if its ever going to be fixed....
My courses

Northwest links pin 1-4
Half baked Alaska
Scots pine Ilse

In Progress

Northwest Links 2015
Scots Pine Isle 2015

StormGolf73

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 11:14:10 AM »
Curious what issues you guys are having with your AMD's?  I run GTX 780...by no means a current high end card...but def. holds it's own.  I have no issues running at 1920x1080 60 fps on most courses.  It does run quite hot, but that's to be expected on any modern game....they push the GPU to the max.  I did turn off DOF (Depth of Field) just to keep it a bit cooler...

I'm guessing there is a limitation or major overhaul that would need to take place in the programming for SLI or Crossfire to be implemented. 

I did talk with a player last night he had a R9 290 I think it was.  It was running very hot and glitching with lines and such.  I told him to disable his second monitor output in the drivers while playing TGC.  We also turned off DOF and he ran cooler and without issues.  Maybe that can help!
StormGolf73 on PC and XB1

My Courses
TPC Four Seasons - Coming
Bay Hill Club & Lodge - RCR
Trump National Philadelphia - RCR
Southern Hills Country Club - RCR
Galveston Country Club - RCR
The DC Golf Club - Design Contest
The Wicklow Hollow Golf Club
Aster Creek Country Club
Hawktree Golf Club -RCR

grayefc

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 10:51:39 PM »
Crossfire actually worked in early builds in early access.

Its shouldn't be a big job to fix.
My courses

Northwest links pin 1-4
Half baked Alaska
Scots pine Ilse

In Progress

Northwest Links 2015
Scots Pine Isle 2015

Rami Alia HB

• golf-beta
  • TGC Technical Lead
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 11:42:23 PM »
Hi there, what's wrong with crossfire? Can you open a thread in support with dxdiag/output log screen caps etc. Appreciate any info you can provide.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Leadbelly

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 09:22:21 AM »
This is something that needs doing. along with SLI.

Given the poor performance of TGC even on high end rigs, i feel that it should be quite high up on the things to do list.

That is a little over the top I would say, TGC may have its flaws but bad performance is not one of them.

grayefc

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 07:48:12 PM »
Bad performance is definitely one of the biggest, sub 60fps (30-40fps) on an I7 3770k @4.4Ghz, with 2x7970's  is not acceptable for a golf game. I pay a lot of money to play games running to their full potential, stuttery 30-40fps is not acceptable to me, sorry especially when i have a second card just sitting there doing nothing, because the game screws up when i turn crossfire on.

The problem with Crossfire is that objects that should not be rendered get rendered on the screen, and even sometimes they don't show as rendered that are still there as the ball will often hit a invisible tree.

That is the main issue.

examples here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61zs74MUOS4

Notice the trees all around the hole, they should not be there on this course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01EeGnz9OMc

Putting bug, not seen this one in a while but was crossfire related as of when this video was recorded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKtbs7i4zBY

Ball going through the fairway...

its as if two courses are being rendered at the same time.

I have reported these before.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 07:53:29 PM by grayefc »
My courses

Northwest links pin 1-4
Half baked Alaska
Scots pine Ilse

In Progress

Northwest Links 2015
Scots Pine Isle 2015

StormGolf73

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 12:16:51 AM »
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Pretty good value when you consider TWO of your cards at $200 each.  My GTX 780 is twice the price but just under twice the speed, benefit is everything can use ONE card.  It's too bad you can't use both of your cards...do many of the other indy type games use crossfire?   You might find that only the biggest studios and game releases have that capability.  not sure.  If it's an engineering or coding issue It wouldn't surprise me or disappoint me at all for that to be a feature left out....Apple caters to the 90%...it's business!  Unfortunate but true.

My Courses
Aster Creek Country Club
Hawktree Golf Club -RCR

Rami Alia HB

• golf-beta
  • TGC Technical Lead
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 03:28:03 AM »
Have you tried turning frame pacing on?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

grayefc

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 11:09:22 AM »
Yes i have got good value out of my crossfire i paid £270 for one, then picked up a MSI lightning for £190 a few month later, when the bit coin craze died down and every-one was selling their 7970's cheap. That was nearly two years ago now.

The performance in general is amazing in virtually all games, as the scaling on AMD is a bit better than NVidia, When the TGC works is crossfire i get around 70-80fps.

yes frame pacing is on

I have tried multiple crossfire configs all with the same results.

The Golf club is the only game that has given me problems with crossfire, until windows 10 appeared having issues with other games now due to amds drivers being early in development for win10, but i have a windows 7 install to fall back too for those few games, but unfortunately its doesn't fix the Golf club problems....

Like i say its like its has two courses in the frame buffer and shows all of one and half of another, which seems to confuse the hit box detection too.

Note sometime i can ALT enter out of full screen into windowed mode and it will be displayed fine as only one card is being used, the ALT ENTER back into full screen crossfire and all will appear to be fine, until you hit the ball and it hits a now invisible object. its very strange....
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 11:20:30 AM by grayefc »
My courses

Northwest links pin 1-4
Half baked Alaska
Scots pine Ilse

In Progress

Northwest Links 2015
Scots Pine Isle 2015

StormGolf73

• GroupMember
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 12:43:00 PM »
Yes i have got good value out of my crossfire i paid £270 for one, then picked up a MSI lightning for £190 a few month later, when the bit coin craze died down and every-one was selling their 7970's cheap. That was nearly two years ago now.

The performance in general is amazing in virtually all games, as the scaling on AMD is a bit better than NVidia, When the TGC works is crossfire i get around 70-80fps.

yes frame pacing is on

I have tried multiple crossfire configs all with the same results.

The Golf club is the only game that has given me problems with crossfire, until windows 10 appeared having issues with other games now due to amds drivers being early in development for win10, but i have a windows 7 install to fall back too for those few games, but unfortunately its doesn't fix the Golf club problems....

Like i say its like its has two courses in the frame buffer and shows all of one and half of another, which seems to confuse the hit box detection too.

Note sometime i can ALT enter out of full screen into windowed mode and it will be displayed fine as only one card is being used, the ALT ENTER back into full screen crossfire and all will appear to be fine, until you hit the ball and it hits a now invisible object. its very strange....

Are you saying it works fine in Windowed mode, with crossfire and better FPS?  That's the only way I run TGC is windowed....maybe that's why I have not had many issues (never crashed once)  hmm.  Would be worth the headache to just run windowed if that fixed it for you...

My Courses
Aster Creek Country Club
Hawktree Golf Club -RCR

grayefc

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 10:11:16 PM »

Are you saying it works fine in Windowed mode, with crossfire and better FPS?  That's the only way I run TGC is windowed....maybe that's why I have not had many issues (never crashed once)  hmm.  Would be worth the headache to just run windowed if that fixed it for you...

When you go into windowed mode crossfire switches off, under directX crossfire doesn't work in windowed mode, under mantle it does.

So Switching between, turns the 2nd card on and off.

An update about my Crossfire sitution, in windows 10 using the 64bit exe the game crashes at the HB logo for me now, when i force crossfire on.

In 32bit beta, the game launches a works but runs very laggy at less than 30fps with crossfire on. its very bad.

So what i have done is disabled crossfire and overclocked my lightning card core and memory and get close to a smooth 60fps, still not great though. frame drops causing stutter.
My courses

Northwest links pin 1-4
Half baked Alaska
Scots pine Ilse

In Progress

Northwest Links 2015
Scots Pine Isle 2015

grayefc

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 11:40:13 AM »
I finally got crossfire working, i had to create a profile in catalyst control panel, and set up TGC to use the Dirt 3 profile, performance still isn't great, but that could be down to the profile, i shall try a few other profiles and report back if i find anything significant.
My courses

Northwest links pin 1-4
Half baked Alaska
Scots pine Ilse

In Progress

Northwest Links 2015
Scots Pine Isle 2015

kinitex

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 02:30:14 PM »
Hey grayefc,

Did you manage to find any improvements? Using the Dirt 3 profile seems to force my crossfire to run in TGC as well but I was expecting a bit better performance. It's also very fussy in how it works. If I alt+tab out to check something, TGC automatically goes into window mode and crossfire shuts down to 1 card. Performance also varies wildly in the main menu, sometimes I will only get 30 fps, other times 45, and even 70+

DivotMaker

• GroupMember
  • Steam - DivotMaker
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 02:51:41 PM »
I finally got crossfire working, i had to create a profile in catalyst control panel, and set up TGC to use the Dirt 3 profile, performance still isn't great, but that could be down to the profile, i shall try a few other profiles and report back if i find anything significant.

Hey grayefc,

Did you manage to find any improvements? Using the Dirt 3 profile seems to force my crossfire to run in TGC as well but I was expecting a bit better performance. It's also very fussy in how it works. If I alt+tab out to check something, TGC automatically goes into window mode and crossfire shuts down to 1 card. Performance also varies wildly in the main menu, sometimes I will only get 30 fps, other times 45, and even 70+

Which drivers are you guys using? If you are using the latest Hotfix drivers?

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-Software-Crimson-Edition-16.4.1.aspx

If so, are you still seeing issues with Crossfire? Let me know as I have a few folks attention at AMD in the graphics / driver division and we will see if we can get this sorted.
PC

Xbox One X

Xbox One Elite Controller

space-cash