Better Use of Stats

• 19 Replies

Oswinner

« on: July 14, 2015, 09:08:41 AM »
I noticed in the off topic section there was a discussion about stats in TGC. So I thought we could all post in here which stats we'd like to see implemented into the game.

I'll start off...

Putts Made % not mixed up

Under 5 Feet (Short)
Between 5-10ft (Medium)
Over 10 ft (Long)

I believe these are the current measurements that are shown to us. The only problem is they are mixed up in the wrong order when we complete a round. How this hasn't been fixed yet is bizarre.

Right, now that's been addressed, id like to see 3-putt avoidance from over 20 feet added. A good stat to show how good ones lag putting is.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 09:11:31 AM by Oswinner »

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 09:56:25 AM »
+1 since Rami asked us to move it to the main forums.

Dont understand the "par breaker" stat versus "birdie or better" conversion.

blackaces13

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 10:12:44 AM »
Par breaker = birdie or better.

StormGolf73

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 12:41:26 PM »
A good start would be to visit PGA Tour .com and check out their stats.  Any of those would be welcomed I'm sure.
StormGolf73 on PC and XB1

My Courses
TPC Four Seasons - Coming
Bay Hill Club & Lodge - RCR
Trump National Philadelphia - RCR
Southern Hills Country Club - RCR
Galveston Country Club - RCR
The DC Golf Club - Design Contest
The Wicklow Hollow Golf Club
Aster Creek Country Club
Hawktree Golf Club -RCR

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 01:05:32 PM »

So then why are the stats different? And one stated in % and the other in decimals?

blackaces13

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 02:03:05 PM »
Where are these stats?  I was talking about in general, didn't realize there were actual TGC stats to look at.

But if par breaker stat is not the same as birdie or better then I would agree that something is wrong.

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 12:08:29 AM »
They are on the leaderboards after a round if you scrol around with left and right trigger (on PS4)...

guitardude_324

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 09:11:21 AM »
...Strokes Gained: Putting...
Steam Name:
guitardude_324

TGC19 Courses:
Featherwind Golf Club
Roundabout Golf Club
Halton Beach G&CC

HitItLong

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2015, 06:46:22 AM »
A few things need fixing, I'll start with long drive and long hole-out stats.

I play on Xbox one, but suspect this is a cross-platform problem. (I play with settings set to YARDS)

Issue: this has been a problem since about two updates ago, and still hasn't been fixed. Long drive stats and long hole-out stats, are still being displayed on the post game stats leader board screens as METERS labelled as YARDS.

evidence below, to this point have played one round at Canuck Club at Devils Escarpment, below are screenshots displaying the problem described above.

Picture One : shows post game stats, note Long Drive equals 351 YARDS, and Long hole-out equals 25 YARDS, this is correct, and what I noted when playing the round.

( I waited 24 hrs for these leader-boards to update) Picture two: shows post game Long Drive leader board, my long drive now is displayed as 320.7 YARDS which is 351 Yards converted to METERS.

Picture three: shows post game Long Hole-out leader board, my longest hole-out is now displayed as 23.3YARDS which is 25 Yards converted to METERS.

I suspect, but didn't record all my drive stats, that the AVG Drive length  leader-board has the same error, ie: the stats converted back to METERS but labelled as YARDS.

more to follow......................
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 08:13:04 AM by HitItLong »
FirstBlitzer Au on Xbox One

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2015, 12:15:24 PM »
Thanks, I sent this to the dev team to check it out.

HitItLong

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 06:49:24 AM »
Part 2

Many people have had an issue with the 0-5 ft, 5-10 ft, and 10+ ft stat, and for a very long time, I played the Equinox Club course last night and keep track of the distance of each putt I had. I played the round with the intention of getting at least one putt in each category, I was reasonably successful accept for the 5th hole, as you can see from below, I accidently stuffed it up  8)

For the round I had 13 puts as follows, distances in feet
Hole1 28,1
Hole2 10,4
Hole3 11
Hole4 30,4
Hole5 Hole In One
Hole6 6
Hole7 23, 1
Hole8 31,2
Hole9 3

Thus by my calculations for

0-5 ft:- I had 6 putts all successful = 6/6 or 100%

5-10ft:- I had 1 putt successful = 1/1 or 100%

10+ft:- I had 6 putts with 1 successful = 1/6 or 16.66667%

Below are the in game leaderboards showing what should be displayed above, but they don't ????????????

(Note: have only played one round at this course.)

0-5ft screen

This is clearly displaying the wrong data, I suggest it is displaying the 10+ ft data, but still doesn't match my calculations

5-10ft screen

appears to be correct, but I can't be sure as I only had one putt in this range, I should have missed it to ensure the results for this category was clearly distinguishable from the 0-5 ft putts I had............................my bad

10+ft

clearly not correct I only made 1/6 or 16.66667% in this range, so this is mixed up with one other category.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 08:34:16 AM by HitItLong »
FirstBlitzer Au on Xbox One

Oswinner

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 10:12:24 AM »
Great work HitItLong. Bizarre how it's saying you made 2/6 putts (33.33%) instead of 1/6 (16.67%). Would love these stats to work. I would prefer if they re-modeled it slightly to

Under 5 Feet (Very Short)
5-10 Feet (Short)
10-20 Feet (Medium)
20+ Feet (Long)

3 Putt Avoidance % from 20+ Feet (Lag Putting)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:14:19 AM by Oswinner »

Rami Alia HB

• golf-beta
  • TGC Technical Lead
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 09:51:17 PM »
This is a great start guys thanks. I'll talk to a couple of people about the potential bugs in here and poke Jordan to respond on the other stats and how they fit in.

HB_JordanA

• Administrator
  • Designer
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 09:35:20 AM »

So then why are the stats different? And one stated in % and the other in decimals?

Par Breakers count birdies or better on each hole played. Conversion counts birdies or better after hitting a GIR.

So Par Breaker should be the number of Birdies, Eagles, Etc. divided by the number of holes you've completed. It's more of an overall stat

Birdie or Better Conversion only cares about a hole that you've hit GIR on. Of those holes we count if you putted for birdie or better, and that total gets divided by your GIR count. It's more of a putting stat since we know you've hit GIR in each instance, but can obviously still be influenced by approach/short game accuracy... It does take out missed birdies due to missed GIR though, which is a nice filter.

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 10:23:06 AM »
Thanks for commenting and clarifying Rami and Jordan.

Understand the difference for the birdie stats now.

The"common" stats that are usually used around this area in addition to birdie conversion are:

Putts/gir (average number of putts counting only GIRs)
Average distance from pin after gir (in feet)

Chips (Or shirt game shots <30yds really)
Putts/chip

space-cash