Deleting Competitions - Making sure

• 9 Replies

DryPenguin

« on: July 21, 2015, 02:45:07 AM »
I could possibly be reading this wrong and I hope I am, but am I to understand that if I have published a competition I can not delete it?

My friends and I just bought the game because Rory seemed to get pretty mediocre reviews.  The Golf Club was on sale so we took a flier, and we are having a pretty good time.  However I am bugged by this issue.  I had no clue wtf I was doing and thought I was editing an already created competition and then didn't know wtf was going on and now I have this:

I just want to delete all of them but one, create the right course lineup and run it again.  Is there some valid reason why this isn't possible to delete OR is there a way to delete these and I'm just an idiot.  Probably and hopefully the latter.

BTW, googling this/searching forums isn't really super effective.

drlowdon

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 03:54:41 AM »
I'm not aware of any way to delete competitions once published but it doesnt really matter if you can't anyway.

Anthony Kyne

• Producer -- @AnthonyKyne
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 08:04:45 AM »
Glad you're enjoying the game. Unfortunately, no you can't delete them, the reason is that if someone was playing mid-round in the competition it would destroy that round for them as well as any stats and records they accumulated on that round

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

DryPenguin

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 02:41:20 PM »
I'm pretty confused as to why that reasoning matters.

I created a competition, which is simply a lineup of courses that I selected with my friends to play on.  Now when my friends go to look at friends competitions in the tour list, they literally see all that nonsense. 

There is, and let me be 100% clear, there is not one SINGLE person interested in playing on these incomplete, stupidly named accidental competitions.  Not one.  My friends are playing in one of them with me and we all want to stop and make a real one.  EVERYONE has to stare at this list of crap on my friends list when they go look for a tour by friends.

So all that aside, let me broaden out from my insular world to the greater game.  I created a competition, it is therefore literally just me making a course list and naming it something with whatever rules are available.  Literally everything I do can be recreated, it's not even like it's a course creation where it's possible others would have a difficult time recreating, it's just a LIST OF COURSES right?  So.....why can't that be deleted?  Especially if a new user JUST got ahold of the game and A) didn't know it was permanent and b) created stupid ass names because.....why would he think it was uneditable.

Am I missing something?  If I put Black Brook on my competition list and then were allowed to delete that competition are those people unable to ever play black brook again?  Are their stats for ALL time gone on Black Brook?  Because if not, if it is simply tied to a single competition created by a single person randomly on the internet that isn't a good reason to be unable to delete it.  Anthony, who is demanding this feature from you?  Who is saying "Yo, you better not let that guy delete the "BullS**t I can't delete tour" cause I got stats on it yo".  I ask you to please consider providing a way to delete even if it is send a message to everyone involved in that competition and have them agree to delete it.  Hell, if you can delete individual courses just delete all of mine please so I can fix this situation.  I can email or pm you our private mumble information or provide email addresses to the only two people who have/would/might ever join this nonsense.

drlowdon - it actually does matter, it matters for several reasons, our gaming community GCN can't now make a proper GCN cup without having 7 stupid variations because I'm an idiot.  The other two guys that bought the game the same time as me are basically annoyed (as am I) that they have to see this nonsense when they log in, and it affects their and my recommendation of the game.  Cause we kinda got over the mouse issues and plugged in controllers grudgingly and we deal with the ghosts and live rivals not always showing up by starting the game over whenever it happens.  The various other minor and nagging problems we just deal with because Rory apparently sucked and this is scratching our golf itch, but this nonsense with the competition name is like the straw man, it's  like this:
"Hey, I'll relog so I can see you as a live rival cause for whatever reason it's broken again"
"Ok man I'll load a game, let's play one of DryPenguin's tours"
"Great, load it up im restarted now"
"Cool, oh, hey, oh.....what one do we want to play?  BullS**t I can't delete?  Oh yeah that tourney sounds F*&^^% amazing.  I will just hide it, that's crazy hey DryPenguin delete that one man, it's annoying to see on my friends list every time" 
ME:  "Sorry bros, you are stuck with that for life because SOMEONE SOMEWHERE MIGHT SOMEHOW LOAD UP THIS PRIVATE TOUR YOU ACCIDENTALLY CREATED AND NOW YOU ARE LITERALLY STUCK WITH IT FOREVER.......super fun right?  Oh well don't worry about it, let me go putt with a mouse.....oops 15 bucks wasted" 

and on to a new game we go.....so it literally actually does matter

Friend from GCN: I saw you bought The Golf Club should me and Ivan get into it too?  ME:  Nah, it's not quite primetime, basic features don't always work and they have actual policies that ruin the gaming experience in the meta.  Let's try Perfect Golf.

drlowdon

• GroupMember
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 02:49:01 PM »
Jeez, I was just trying to answer your question. All you need to do is add the tournaments/tours you want to play to your favourites and then they'll be easy to find.

DryPenguin

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 02:50:53 PM »
I was just responding to your comment, you said it doesn't matter, it actually does.

Also, you might be missing the point, or not understanding.  I grasp how to favorite tournaments and tours.  What I don't understand how to do is delete a tour I PERSONALLY created that has a stupid name and 3 mistaken copies.

I appreciate your attempt to help me with a problem I don't have, thanks for your time.  I'm looking for something pretty specific that doesn't really have a valid reasoning for not being doable.

Pubknight

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 04:28:18 PM »
What I don't understand how to do is delete a tour I PERSONALLY created that has a stupid name and 3 mistaken copies.

You cannot.

I'm looking for something pretty specific that doesn't really have a valid reasoning for not being doable.

Whether the reasoning is valid or not is a matter of personal opinion.
Anthony posted why HB doesn't provide a mechanism through which tours can be deleted.
You may not agree that the reasoning is valid, but he has provided the reasoning.

Personally I hope that somewhere down the line there is either a mechanism to delete, or auto-delete, tours/tournaments/courses that don't have any plays.
But as of this moment, there is no deletion of anything that has been published.

DryPenguin

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 04:57:42 PM »
Thanks.  I appreciate you clearly summing that up.

You are also right that he provided the reasoning that they use.  That reasoning isn't valid, therefore it should be changed.  You are in agreement

As to whether the reasoning being valid is a personal opinion or not, I guess you are technically right, but if you analyze both opinions it isn't really:

Opinion 1 - I should be able to delete mistakenly created competitions for several reasons.  A) I created the competition, it is simply a list of courses in an order with custom names.  Without my having inputted the order construction, renamed some events and then hit publish on accident this would NOT exist.  The Golf Club as a game, the courses, then gameplay all there created by the devs, this SPECIFIC attribute of the game....literally not there if I didn't f' up and hit buttons cluelessly.  B)  It's set to private, ONLY my two friends can play this competition  C)  Even if 35,000 people played the competition, unless I'm mistaken (which is clearly possible), deleting a competition would only affect THAT SPECIFIC competitition.  You can still play courses, you can still set and hold records, you can still make AN EXACT COPY OF THAT COMPETETION and have the same exact people playing if you wanted.  C)  Now the tours is flooded with nonsense bs competitions that have neither players, nor courses involved in it.  It's simply a waste of space and clutters the curation process.  D)  It literally matters to no one but me and 2 people, but it matters greatly to those people. 

Opinion 2 - the reason is that if someone was playing mid-round in the competition it would destroy that round for them as well as any stats and records they accumulated on that round.  That is the official reasoning.  if SOMEONE (nope, it's a private tour and none of us want to play on it......also, if not private NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY ON MY F'd UP COMPETITION) was playing mid-round in the competition it would destroy that round for them (sooooo, they can never play another round of golf on Black Brook? unclear as to how this matters)

Which opinion is actually valid. 

The bottom line is this can and should be changed.  I've made my argument, so I guess I'm done with this thread, I'll check back occasionally to see if they have made a change.

Enef56

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 06:07:39 PM »
Let me start by saying I asked the same thing a week ago and had the same answer as you, yes we all wish we could delete a naff course but at the moment we can't, but don't be to hard on the team that created The Golf Club, it's an evolving game which has shown some impressive changes in recent months, and the team do seem to listen to the gamers and creators, I'm willing to hold fire on the criticism of not being able to delete a course, because they seem to be focusing on improving the game, every couple of months the updates have been impressive, I believe this is and will be the best golf game available to buy, I bought Rory Mcilroy Thursday and sent it back to Amazon on the Monday so even the big boys can't get it right all the time but unlike EA the golf club do genuinely listen to criticism and act on it, so hold fire son and give them a chance I don't think you'll regret it in the long run, Nigel

DryPenguin

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 06:30:29 PM »
Fair enough

I've already exceeded two hours of play time so a refund isn't possible, no choice but to hope for the best.

edit: Just a side note for the devs on the importance of this issue for us.  Had this occurred within the Steam refund window of gameplay we 100% would have just got our money back and moved on to another golf game.  It's really important to have a reasonable level of control over our personal tours for our small gaming group. Your policy of "someone somewhere might have a stat they like" would have cost you money and in fact is continuing to do so since no one is grabbing this game to play with us until issues are resolved.

edit2: Nigel my steam ID is DryPenguin if you want some more ghosts to play against, although I'm not super good, we just play for funs
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 06:35:54 PM by DryPenguin »

space-cash