A leter to Anthony Kyne, the slammin issue of a controller

• 78 Replies

Joe___Mengele

« on: July 24, 2015, 12:10:28 PM »
Anthony,
I like so many users of this great game were very taken back by the update. I have been a member since September of 2014. After this update, I like many others had a fit. Was very annoyed and very critical of what you did. However, after reading your "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" post and the explanation of what was done and seeing your video, I think I know why maybe so many people have issues with it or just a niche of people.
Since the PS and the introduction of Tiger Woods PGA tour, I have had a special golf controller. This controller is not used for any other game besides golf. The reason I did it was because if I used one of my regular controllers, I was always fading and drawing the ball when I did not want it to. This is because the "regular" controller would take a beating form other games and just make the left or right stick not as accurate because of the wear and tare on the controller from let's say Call of Duty. This is why myself and many of my friends had a special golf controller.
The "special" golf controller was not abused, it was protected and revered. It was like picking up your favorite Sand Wedge and hitting that perfect 110 yard shot 5 feet from the pin in real life. The "Golf" controller is an extension of your clubs in real life. You do not abuse your real clubs, why should you abuse your controller (clubs). Now after  watching the video and trying what was relayed in the video, I started to forcefully swing the LEFT stick, I do not use the RIGHT. I started to cringe because, I in my mind over the years, have trained my hands and brain to swing gingerly. Every time I forcefully swung, I would hear the "click" of the stick and cringe because of the sound. It sounds to me like I am going to break the stick because I am so preconditioned to my previous swing on the other games and yours. I know that I will not break it but I could place the sensitivity out of kilter.
Another point to my hypothesis is the price of controllers. PS4 controllers are not cheap by any means. If you abuse the controller eventually you will have to purchase a new one. If you play the game constantly, the controller could wear out in 1 to 3 months depending on if you play a lot or a little and with what force you swing. At $65.00 a controller, this can be very expensive in the long run for many people. It might not matter to you and your staff because if you need an new controller, you can write off the cost as a business expense but many of us cannot. I can afford to do it but would rather spend the $65.00 on a real round of golf.
In closing, I would like to say that I love the game, love the fact you can design and build courses, have there been issues and Ups and Downs this whole game, yes and you have tried to be very upfront with the community, yes and we appreciate that you are.. I hope you read this and understand that this might be some of the reasons for the indignation that has engulfed so many people about this change. Then again I could be a handful of people who have a golf controller and in that case, I will adapt and overcome.
Respectfully yours,
Joe

Anthony Kyne

• Producer -- @AnthonyKyne
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 03:52:28 PM »
Hi Joe,
thanks for your insights! And as I've said on many threads, I'm torn. I want people to stick with it for a few days while we evaluate.

I understand you concerns with the controller, but to alleviate them a little each of the develop team here have put in at least 2000 hours and not once broken the stick or ruined the x-axis on the controller.
This is normally done through dropping it. The minimal force needed to swing the club will not break or loosen the stick any.

Another thing to remember is, you don't have to hit the club 100%. Just like real life every bodies swing is different and in turn hit clubs different distances and remember the saying "Drive for show, putt for dough" - The game is still won and lost around the green

Anthony

XGN_DerpyBurger

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 03:57:26 PM »
It is completely possible to not slam and get 100%.

Made this video yesterday...
https://youtu.be/JH2RBQIaoAM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 04:00:47 PM by XGN_DerpyBurger »

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 04:23:25 PM »
Anthony,
I like so many users of this great game were very taken back by the update. I have been a member since September of 2014. After this update, I like many others had a fit. Was very annoyed and very critical of what you did. However, after reading your "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" post and the explanation of what was done and seeing your video, I think I know why maybe so many people have issues with it or just a niche of people.
Since the PS and the introduction of Tiger Woods PGA tour, I have had a special golf controller. This controller is not used for any other game besides golf. The reason I did it was because if I used one of my regular controllers, I was always fading and drawing the ball when I did not want it to. This is because the "regular" controller would take a beating form other games and just make the left or right stick not as accurate because of the wear and tare on the controller from let's say Call of Duty. This is why myself and many of my friends had a special golf controller.
The "special" golf controller was not abused, it was protected and revered. It was like picking up your favorite Sand Wedge and hitting that perfect 110 yard shot 5 feet from the pin in real life. The "Golf" controller is an extension of your clubs in real life. You do not abuse your real clubs, why should you abuse your controller (clubs). Now after  watching the video and trying what was relayed in the video, I started to forcefully swing the LEFT stick, I do not use the RIGHT. I started to cringe because, I in my mind over the years, have trained my hands and brain to swing gingerly. Every time I forcefully swung, I would hear the "click" of the stick and cringe because of the sound. It sounds to me like I am going to break the stick because I am so preconditioned to my previous swing on the other games and yours. I know that I will not break it but I could place the sensitivity out of kilter.
Another point to my hypothesis is the price of controllers. PS4 controllers are not cheap by any means. If you abuse the controller eventually you will have to purchase a new one. If you play the game constantly, the controller could wear out in 1 to 3 months depending on if you play a lot or a little and with what force you swing. At $65.00 a controller, this can be very expensive in the long run for many people. It might not matter to you and your staff because if you need an new controller, you can write off the cost as a business expense but many of us cannot. I can afford to do it but would rather spend the $65.00 on a real round of golf.
In closing, I would like to say that I love the game, love the fact you can design and build courses, have there been issues and Ups and Downs this whole game, yes and you have tried to be very upfront with the community, yes and we appreciate that you are.. I hope you read this and understand that this might be some of the reasons for the indignation that has engulfed so many people about this change. Then again I could be a handful of people who have a golf controller and in that case, I will adapt and overcome.
Respectfully yours,
Joe

Here is my polite reply to your thoughtful note to King Kyne.   I have used the same ps4 controller since day 1 of this games release and my swing happens to be the quick flick that does indeed give 100% most of the time.    So please understand that this update on the ps4 had zero effect on me.    So lets think about this for a second,   my controller has been flicked on not only the TGC but Madden and other games since the ps4 came out and the stick is still fine.    I can understand you wanting to treat your controller like a baby but fortunately for you this is NOT necessary.

The new swing on the ps4 at least for me is friggin brilliant.   I can not finally get 100% like always but now when I swing softer I can easily get 80% or so with clubs like my 5 wood if need be.
So at least for me,   this is the first time since playing this game I feel like control is actually done with some accuracy.    I've done many test with my PC version of the game as well and I personally am having the same results between my PC and PS4 and my suggestion to the guys getting caught up in regards to why that is need to just adapt and figure out the subtle differences on each system because you can easily overcome.    I liken it to going to different driving ranges with the same clubs,  because depending on conditions of the grass,  or driving surface your clubs can and will have different carry distances.   There are always going to be variables involved in every different circumstance,  and some guys are just not willing to try to get better so they sit around and wait for the developers to bail them out with easy street.   

I'm not a big fan of hearing guys say, I've played this way for a year and now I have to relearn my swing.....   I think they would all do us a favor by sitting tight for a bit and letting things work themselves out.   Look whats happened in a matter of 23 hours!  There are guys that were crying in their beer over the issues and now they're enjoying the change :)
Please HB,  give us a way to share user created society templates of our tour course schedules.

Lout Of Order

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 04:25:57 PM »
Anthony - are there any plans to make any further changes to the swing on Xbox?

Joe___Mengele

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 04:36:16 PM »
Good afternoon Anthony,
I thank you for taking the time and reading my post. I do truly love your game very much and feel some people might feel like I do about the controller. The PS4 controller could be very robust but I based my theory on the PS, PS2 and PS3 controllers that have come and gone. I will say I knew I would never break the stick but the calibration of the axis was what I mean and you knew what I was saying and thank you for your understanding. I am an avid golfer in real life with a 10 handicap and have found your game to be very close and at times just as frustrating as real lie. The "drive for show" comment I know very well. I would consider you and our team a student of the game as I am. I wish you and the team the best of luck and remember, you can please some of the people some of the time but not everyone.
Warm regards,
Joe

Joe___Mengele

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 04:44:54 PM »
John,
The letter I wrote to Anthony was a theory. It  was based on my own interaction with Sony controllers for the past 17 to 20 years. I am not complaining about the switch but just addressing a thought. Make no mistake, the swing is different and does take time to learn. People adore change and some people will overreact. as is human nature. I did react negatively at first and as I said in my first post but I am not going to trash a game because of this. I enjoy the game very much and will learn the swing and adapt and overcome. Thank you for your response and best of luck and hit em straight.
Cheers,
Joe

brandyyy67

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 04:55:29 PM »
the  game  was  gr8  now  its  broken   the  new  swing  has just ruined it  for me,  it  nothing  like  real  golf   more  a  grip  it  and  rip  it  style

IDontShineShoesAnymore

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 07:06:42 PM »

I can get 100% every time as well swinging that way. Our point is we don't want to. That is a forceful flick with a noticeable click. Never had to swing that hard before update. Don't want to now. It's a gamebreaker for me.
"We don't see that on our end"

XGN_DerpyBurger

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 07:07:35 PM »
I ALWAYS swung the club like that. It's not even hard.

XGN_DerpyBurger

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 07:08:02 PM »

Even on Tiger Woods

IDontShineShoesAnymore

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 07:10:31 PM »
Johnny, why would you ever hit a 5 wood at 70% with the loft options currently in place? I see no scenario where anyone would WANT to hit less than 100% except to replace a broken lofted pitch shot too much backspin mechanic.

XGN_DerpyBurger

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 07:12:09 PM »

I can get 100% every time as well swinging that way. Our point is we don't want to. That is a forceful flick with a noticeable click. Never had to swing that hard before update. Don't want to now. It's a gamebreaker for me.
You know what. You were the same guy that said a day ago that you were downloading RM15 while complaining how you sucked at a VIDEO GAME. Who the hell cares? You are the only person on the forums not trying to learn the new swing. Have you noticed. Every other person tried to get it right and you are the one jumping ship after 1 change to a great game. Really wasn't even much of a change all it did was take the swing off the framerate. Meaning that the game doesn't assume a 100% shot anymore. So yeah. Go to the inferior game and stop complaining on these forums about how you cannot change your swing to play a game on PS4.

IDontShineShoesAnymore

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 07:13:06 PM »

It's too hard for my taste. It has no rhythm or timing or tempo. Doesn't matter how you get back, as long as you slam forward fast enough. Why can't the swing require skill and timing to get 100% , not force is my point.

XGN_DerpyBurger

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 07:16:40 PM »

It's too hard for my taste. It has no rhythm or timing or tempo. Doesn't matter how you get back, as long as you slam forward fast enough. Why can't the swing require skill and timing to get 100% , not force is my point.
It's not a slam. Have you seen the other videos of people using two fingers, jerking the stick forward and still not getting the swing right because there truly is a technique to the swing that you don't see where you can get 100% like me without breaking the controller. So what if the controller makes a sound? Nothing is quiet. Your breathing is a noise.

space-cash