404: Inspiration not found

• 1 Replies

BadJobAce

• XBL - BadJobAce
« on: July 25, 2015, 11:09:02 AM »
After my par 3 contest entry, I wanted to go back to working on "Heatherfield Ponds G&CC".  But the project has gone to greener pastures  *plays taps quietly on kazoo*....

I was struggling to figure out what I wanted to do next, and tinkered here and there for a bit.

i ENDED UP RAGE-DELETING every course in my WIP portfolio.....including a few that could potentially have been published with a little TLC....

Here's why:  I learned some things about the GNCD, design strategy, and even my own style/preferences while doing the TGCTLive contest......and it was far easier to start fresh than keep kicking the same dead horses.

So, after a week or more of no inspiration, the last 4 days have suddenly filled my docket once again, and I now have 5 projects I'm working on. 

1)  "Smuggler's Sanctuary" is a tropical-themed course set on a remote island, no cart paths, very "wild" feeling.  Designed with the idea of an old secluded island that Pirates hid out on, now turned into a private golf course.
-All holes are laid out, sculpting done, just have to "put in work" now, so to speak.  Will be a short (6,700 yds) medium difficulty course.

2) "Ojibwe Tribal Grounds" is in Boreal, and will be the full-length 18-hole follow-up to Makwa Jiigashkiig: Ojibwe Tribal Grounds. 
- As of right now, I'm still working on getting the landscaping done right.  Will also be a short but difficult course.  Very tight, almost cramped, but fair.

3) "Heather Hills" is a Harvest theme, which is my fresh spin on the previously mentioned "Heatherfield Ponds" course.  Set the dials to max trees, water and hills. 
- There won't be any major elevation changes, as this is intended to be more like a typical high-end, rural course in Michigan.  I have 18 holes mapped out, but no work has been done.  This is intended to be a medium length (~7,000 yds), medium difficulty course.

4) Tentatively titled "Beckwourth Trail" (Not to be confused with the REAL Beckwourth Trail), this is a course I'm working on in the Highlands theme. 
-This was started with MASSIVE amounts of sculpting with cliffs, tall mountains and A LOT of elevation work.  I created a shoreline, a long but narrow inlet.  All holes are laid out and take up a large chunk of the map.  This isn't designed to be a links style course, but rather a mountainous coastal course.  Designed to play VERY difficult and long (7,300 yds) with lots of elevation changes.  Nothing unfair, but definitely challenging.  I did the terrain and then did my best to make holes fit into the land naturally.  IMHO it looks great so far, but I might be a bit biased.

5) A miniature golf course.  I haven't even started with any plotting.  I'm first trying to find my favorite theme to use for this one.   

6) A Driving Range.  I actually have some ideas to design a fairly well-functioning Driving Range, but need to do some testing to make sure it's free of glitches.

I'll be honest, I don't know which of these will pop out first, or which will even make it to fruition.  When I fire up the game, I just work on whichever course I FEEL like working on that day, and often pop back and forth between them to do a little here, a little there. 

Either way, you fine folks are all in for a good time.  IF I were a betting man, I'd bet on either the Highlands (#1) or Tropical (#2) course to pop out first. 

No pictures yet, but as I get further into these projects, I'll be sure to make individual WIP pages. 

Thank you all again for your kind words and encouragement after my par 3 contest entry!  You've all made me want to actually start PUBLISHING some projects rather than keep them to myself.

God bless,

A. C. E.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 01:56:05 PM by BadJobAce »
My published designs:

Makwa Jiigashkiig:  Ojibwe Tribal Grounds (TGCTLive! Par 3 Contest WINNER)

BoomBoom

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 09:39:39 PM »
I actually started a driving range today as well.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Bethpage State Park Black Course
Glen Abbey GC
Horned Viper GC (Gold Tees)
Thousand Islands Golf and CC

Why do i play with a female avatar? Because I would rather look at an ugly female than a pretty male.....

space-cash