Am I exploiting a game mechanic or is this normal?

• 17 Replies

moldy_poncho

« on: August 23, 2015, 12:23:20 AM »
Hi there relatively new player here and i'm loving it. I'm just wondering if the way i putt is as intended or if i'm using an exploit that needs fixing. What i do is pull back slowly to the desired power then do a quick flick back then release and the momentum of the stick springing back completes the putt and ensures it's dead straight every time. Basically i never push forward to putt, is this normal? haha

Leadbelly

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 12:58:44 AM »
 You most likely have the auto swing turned on in the settings. This sounds perfectly normal to me, your good to go.

moldy_poncho

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 01:04:32 AM »
I can't seem to find auto swing in the settings? can you point me in the right direction please :)

Leadbelly

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 01:16:06 AM »
I can't seem to find auto swing in the settings? can you point me in the right direction please :)

I was just playing around there is no auto swing setting. I have know idea, why your swing is acting the way it is. It is the first I have ever heard of this, maybe your controller is goofy.

moldy_poncho

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 01:27:27 AM »
haha I was just looking around the settings menu for about five minutes then! Next time you get a tap in just pull back the right stick all the way back quickly and release and if its the same as mine it should just get knocked in. That should give you a rough idea what i'm talking about over a short distance. My putting is still shocking but it's definitely shaved a few shots off my rounds!

Leadbelly

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 01:34:23 AM »
haha I was just looking around the settings menu for about five minutes then! Next time you get a tap in just pull back the right stick all the way back quickly and release and if its the same as mine it should just get knocked in. That should give you a rough idea what i'm talking about over a short distance. My putting is still shocking but it's definitely shaved a few shots off my rounds!

Its most likely just the spring, in the controller. You move it back and let it snap forward, and its enough to push the putt forward. I would not worry about it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 01:43:13 AM by Leadbelly »

moldy_poncho

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 01:41:57 AM »
Yeah I figured that, it just makes putting a lot easier for me! Every single putt is dead straight now where as before when i was pushing forward it was a bit of a gamble.

Dusty Roads

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 09:55:33 AM »
Next time you get a tap in

Not for use in shots over what distance?

moldy_poncho

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 11:44:18 AM »
Yeah it works over distance too . I was just suggesting the tap in thing just to get an idea of what i was talking about. To get it to work over distance just pull it back slowly to around 25% - 50% to get the desired power then complete the putt with a quick flick back the momentum of the stick moving forward registers as if you have pushed it forward dead straight. Sorry i'm really bad at explaining myself, GF always tells me off for it. I'll put a video up later.

Dusty Roads

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 08:36:42 PM »
I understand what you mean and it is the mechanism of the controller. You flick it back and depending on from where, the forward motion can be soft or hard leading to whatever distance the ball goes.

clubcaptain

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 09:23:11 PM »
But if it's pulled back not straight it can't go forward straight.
Intel core I73770k 3.5 GHZ
16 Gb Corsair vengeance DDR3 1600MHZ/PC12800
Asus mobo PB8277-V Lx
Nvidea GeForce GTX670 2GB
X box 360 wired controller
Windoes 7 home premium 64 bit

Courses :
Aphrodite Golf and Sailing Resort
Taiga Forest-Kaunis Course
Adelaide Hills West Golf Course
Strathmally GC

moldy_poncho

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 10:26:44 PM »
I understand what you mean and it is the mechanism of the controller. You flick it back and depending on from where, the forward motion can be soft or hard leading to whatever distance the ball goes.

Kind of yeah but the the power is decided by how far you allow the club to come back rather than how fast the stick flicks forward.

But if it's pulled back not straight it can't go forward straight.

I suppose potentially yes as it does ever so slightly deviate at times but it's minimal like the next notch on from straight. I guess it's because the analogue sticks natural point to spring back to is the center.

Overall, I guess it turns out i am doing something whilst putting no one else is doing.

Acrilix

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 09:38:40 AM »
the forward motion can be soft or hard leading to whatever distance the ball goes.

It's not like real putting. I don't believe the forward motion has an affect on the distance at all in this game, just the accuracy.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:44:25 AM by Acrilix »
My last 7 courses (newest first):
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Brackenridge Nine by Acrilix
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

Dusty Roads

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 11:13:43 AM »
the forward motion can be soft or hard leading to whatever distance the ball goes.

It's not like real putting. I don't believe the forward motion has an affect on the distance at all in this game, just the accuracy.  ;)

Hmmm, so just what motion and speed of same, makes my ball go towards the hole?

HunterofVeritas

• I slice 95% of my hooks.
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 11:51:24 AM »

Do you mean in putting only? 
Surely you don't mean to imply that the forward motion (duration of time from origin at the backswing stop position to the finish with the joystick in the full up position) doesn't also multiply into the power.  It most certainly does.  Even John in the simple tutorials says this. 

I'm almost certain, say 95% sure, that the putting works in precisely the same manner. 

space-cash