Am I exploiting a game mechanic or is this normal?

• 17 Replies

Acrilix

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 01:16:43 PM »
Do you mean in putting only? 
I'm almost certain, say 95% sure, that the putting works in precisely the same manner.

Yes, of course I mean in putting only.
There may be some drop off in distance with a very slow follow through, though I can't say I've ever noticed it, but there is no increase in distance for a rapid follow through as there would be putting in real life. AFAIK, it is only the length of backswing that controls the distance in putting.
My last 7 courses (newest first):
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Brackenridge Nine by Acrilix
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

HunterofVeritas

• I slice 95% of my hooks.
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 03:38:44 PM »
My understanding is thus:

Backswing (joystick held down) for the length of time it takes the animation to display the club moving all the way back and stopping sets the initial power requested at 100%.  Moving forward on the joystick next governs to a lesser degree how much of that initial power you will actually get.  A specific timing from back position to forward is set as a minimum necessary for 100% of initial requested power. 

In other words, if you are 10 yards from the cup, then backswing approximately 50%, you will need to go forward quick enough to get that final 100% of initial.  You can go forward slowly and get, for example, 50% of that initial, giving you around 25% - under-shooting what you initially requested.  I've tested this a bit and it seems to fit the data.  I do realize that the forward swing on putting doesn't feel like it contributes quite as much granularity to the power as does the backswing. 

I've also heard or read, and seem to remember one of the devs stating that the backswing does NOT determine aim, only a couple points on the return forward swing and the final are data points collected.  Simple enough, really.

This is how I understand the other clubs to work also, but each has a different timing for full "animated backswing". 

Ah yes, here:
http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=7889.msg81727#msg81727
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 03:40:23 PM by HunterofVeritas »

Acrilix

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 05:44:40 PM »
In other words, if you are 10 yards from the cup, then backswing approximately 50%, you will need to go forward quick enough to get that final 100% of initial.  You can go forward slowly and get, for example, 50% of that initial, giving you around 25% - under-shooting what you initially requested.  I've tested this a bit and it seems to fit the data.  I do realize that the forward swing on putting doesn't feel like it contributes quite as much granularity to the power as does the backswing. 

We will have to agree to disagree on this until a dev says otherwise. In my experience you will hit the correct distance whatever the speed of swing as long as your backswing is the correct length and you complete the motion to the extreme without a pause or stutter. The only time a shot will go short is if you shorten the follow through. It is not dependent on clubhead speed IMO.
My last 7 courses (newest first):
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Brackenridge Nine by Acrilix
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

space-cash