Strawberry Plains Mountains & Hills Bonanza (Tour)

• 3 Replies

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« on: September 09, 2015, 03:09:48 PM »
I've created a 2 event, 36 hole "Tour" last night using Drivert's outstanding new Delta theme courses, Eighteen at Strawberry Plains, and its successor, Eighteen at Strawberry Plains (Pin 2).  What's unique about this is the original course uses a Mountain background, which in the Delta theme somehow causes a ~25% frame rate hit.   The course is still playable, but the impact is enough to be felt, particularly in object heavy environs.  The (Pin 2 ) version is more than a change in the pins; it's also a change to the low hills background, which allows the game to play at the normal frame rates.

It will be really interesting to see how much this 25% frame rate change affects the play experience of others.  I know it's night and day for me on the XB1.  I would encourage you to play both courses, back to back, even if only in a "practice" round (a round you know you're going to back out of), just to see how much of a difference this makes.

I've got this tour set to run for two weeks, so those of us who are interested in this will have plenty of time to get their rounds in.  I also hope that HBS has a fix for the mountain backgrounds of the Delta theme.  It's a shame to see so many wonderful Delta courses not get cast in the proper light just because the mountain backgrounds have a hitch in them.
Intel Core i5-4440 3.1 GHz
Geforce GTX 1060 3 GB SC Gaming, ACX 2.0
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 10:13:28 AM »
I posted my 36 hole total this morning, after falling asleep on the 12th hole last night in the second round (it wasn't the course was that boring, I was just beat :)).  I learned a little lesson though; don't ever finish up a competitive round after the game has been sitting idle for more than a few hours:

1.) I was totally out of rhythm and having just woken up, I was rusty.  I made two or three waaaay out of the cone swings and naturally, achieved commensurate results :-[

2.)  I've noticed that with all three versions of TGC, if you've let it sit idle for a couple of hours or more, especially if you were doing something else on another app while it was idle, you're going to likely see some inexplicable frame skipping, occasionally at times that your performance will be affected.  After finishing my round, I exited TGC, started it back up fresh, and didn't experience any of the skipping I had just seen in my "unpaused" round.

With all of that said, I had an absolute blast playing this course in its two incarnations.  It served to illustrate that the mountain backdrop in this case is seriously impacting the performance.  I hope HBS can fix this because the mountain backdrop seems to fit the character of this course the best.  Secondly, it showed me what a great tournament course Drivert has created with Strawberry Plains.  It played very fairly with the Pin 2 edition and its low hills background, which yielded playable frame rates.

I hope to see more of you out there; there's plenty of room at the top of this leaderboard as neither myself or rascal607 are setting the world on fire so far :D

8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

ssa1950

• rascal607
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 04:24:05 PM »
That's for sure on setting the world on fire.  Played that late last night after a very filling dinner; was a bit drowsey.  Enjoyed the course; I like courses that are laid out like a real course and not some tricked out fantasy course.

jcauthen04

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 04:51:57 PM »
I'm pretty sure the next time I look at the leaderboard, I won't be on top anymore!  I just shot a 65 on the Mountain backdrop version of Strawberry Plains on the PC version, after putting up a 77 on the same course on the XB1!?  I'm telling you, this course owns me! :-[ ;D
8GB PC-1600 DDR3 RAM
Windows 10 64 bit

space-cash