HB Community Design Tournament

• 721 Replies

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 11:05:50 AM »
Blind seems like a good thing to me. I'm all for it.
Community and HB voting together.
We let Keith publish the courses during the tournament then...when the courses are completed everyone can publish their full course themselves.

I like it.

Keep in mind I can only publish courses for PC designers.

Cally

• GroupMember
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 11:12:03 AM »
Since you can only see who created a course when playing from the same platform it was published on, maybe you can only vote on courses NOT created on your platform. This way you don't know who the designer is. Also if you post a WIP thread on your course you are DQ'd

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 11:24:15 AM »
That is a possibility as well, although people with multiple platforms can easily find out who built each course.  I think it will be almost impossible to keep it hidden.

So if we do a bracket style tournament, do we seed once and keep those seeds all the way through or re-seed after each round?  Basically do a blind draw for each round?

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 11:34:20 AM »
crap...yeah pc. DANG. I really want a blind one somehow. SIGH!

No Work in progress threads is a good idea. Not super keen on only voting for other platforms though.

I say seed once with a random draw personally.
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

drivert

• GroupMember
  • XBOX GT is mariner175
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 12:13:14 PM »
I just want to say I am not really a fan of the three hole at a time and publish since we cant hide courses from our list the clutter would drive me insane.

elgato71

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 12:24:27 PM »
For me, hiding the designers Isn't a big deal..Good is Good and I think everyone can have an open mind..How else you gonna have upsets..If a lesser known designers is building a better looking & playing course, Im voting for him plain & simple..

ProjectM4yhem23

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 12:31:28 PM »
I just want to say I am not really a fan of the three hole at a time and publish since we cant hide courses from our list the clutter would drive me insane.

Because you can design three courses in the time it takes me to play three holes the fact you aren't a fan is not a surprise

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 12:32:46 PM »
For me, hiding the designers Isn't a big deal..Good is Good and I think everyone can have an open mind..How else you gonna have upsets..If a lesser known designers is building a better looking & playing course, Im voting for him plain & simple..

I agree.  We could have some fun, "borrowing"  ( :) ) the idea from TGCT to use the spinning wheel to decide the matchups.  I can try to stream as much as possible.  I could stream the seeding of the brackets, playing the courses, and even revealing the votes for each matchup.  I am thinking I set up a poll for each matchup but keep the voting results hidden.

elgato71

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2015, 12:36:25 PM »
Now we're rolling!!!

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2015, 12:37:39 PM »
sounds like fun. Let's get it ON
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

onhobobobohno

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2015, 12:51:12 PM »
I agree with drivert, I think the 3-holes at a time thing would be hard when asking designers to get them in in time, and it could drag on with the amount of time it takes to create 3 quality holes.  If you did that between each round, March madness could turn into May madness. 

A suggestion I have is, have full courses go head to head and have  "amount of plays", "average rating", and "Judge rating" during that rounds time period (1 week?)  factor into each rounds winner.  For example:

Course Seed 1 vs. Course Seed 16  Week of March 1 - Course Seed 1, 60 plays, 7.5 average rating, 8 Judge rating.  Course Seed 16, 30 plays, 6 average rating, 6.5 Judge rating.    Course Seed 1 winner.   

Then the next week  you factor in plays and user ratings from that range of days.  To add variance, you could change judges from each week as to not have the same judge rate the same course again.

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 12:58:28 PM »

Course Seed 1 vs. Course Seed 16  Week of March 1 - Course Seed 1, 60 plays, 7.5 average rating, 8 Judge rating.  Course Seed 16, 30 plays, 6 average rating, 6.5 Judge rating.    Course Seed 1 winner.   

Plays and rating? Yeah no thanks. This needs to be limited to the forums I think. There are a lot of players that have nothing to do with the site or know anything about what's going on who just rate 5 and move one... bleh.

I think the only way this works is if things CHANGE from round to round and the best way to do that is adding holes. Having a time limit will make it difficult for some of us but that's ok. That's why it's just a fun contest and nothing more or less.
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

Cally

• GroupMember
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2015, 12:58:52 PM »
I think were on the right track, but I don't think # of plays will work. As we all know there is a sharp drop off of plays after the first few weeks with so many courses getting published

onhobobobohno

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2015, 01:03:03 PM »
That's why it is on the onus of the designer to hype their course up week to week, I think plays is a viable option for judging, If a course is truly great, then it will make people want to play it multiple times.  I can understand where reeb is coming from with the user ratings, and I was actually thinking about not even mentioning it, but it could be used as a low weighted criteria with judges scores being weighted the most.  I like the forum poll idea.  There can be so many ways to go with this...  I love the idea of making it a bracket style competition.

Crazycanuck1985

• GroupMember
    • TGCToursTV Twitch Channel
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2015, 01:34:23 PM »
TGCTLive! has just announced a new design contest, would be interesting to have two going on at once!
http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=13048.0

space-cash