« on: October 06, 2015, 09:43:22 AM »
Round 1 Matchup.

Voting poll will be added on Oct 13th.

Nickweis  =  Pine Park Lodge (3 hole)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:15:17 AM by HB_KeithC »

nickweis

• Go in Your Home!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 01:52:19 AM »
okay HitItLong,  I will show my hand first.  I have published " Pine Park Lodge (3 hole) "

I would like to say thanks to everyone who has made a contribution towards creating this competition.  I have been a fly on the wall since the idea was first brought up and I think it is a great way for players to get some feedback and become better designers.  Also I have played many of the 3 hole courses that have been already published and found it very cool to see the different designers ideas.

This contest has forced me to design a bit out of my element, as usually I lay out all 18 holes, then go back to details, and eventually planting.  It was very different to fully complete 3 holes before moving on, but I quite like the holes that have come out as a result. 

The course I have started is inspired by some Stanley Thompson designs in Alberta, Canada, Banff Springs, and Jasper Park Lodge.  Some of the things he was quite well known for in these mountain settings include:
-extensive bunker mounding and bunker "fingers"
-mounds of bunkers that mirror the mountain peaks in the backdrop
-utilizing not only a backdrop of mountains on the horizon, but specific peaks to highlight and frame the hole

Hopefully you guys enjoy the course, and I look forward to any feedback.

My Courses:
Red Rock National
The Links @ Inverness Point
Pine Park Lodge (9 hole)
Helena Island Estate (9 hole)
Grizzly Paw Golf Club
Killarney Golf and Country Club
The Great Northern G&CC
The Links of Isolation Island
Coyote Canyon (Original Members, Tour and now 2016 multi)
Steam/PSN: Nickweis12

elgato71

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 07:53:32 AM »
Another Super Strong entry! Beautiful  job  Nick..Excellent use of Pine Needles stuck out to me..

wagtunes

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 11:53:35 AM »
@Nick

Okay, gave the course a go and here's my 2 cents.

Visual - Kind of sparse actually. Surrounding trees (which appear to be auto gen) and bunkers is all I noticed. Still, doesn't look bad. Just nothing really stands out.

Playability - A couple of things stuck out for me.

1) The bunkers. The one I landed in you literally could not get out of because of the high mountain in front of the sand and I had to actually hit the ball backwards onto the fairway behind me.

2) The greens. No big slopes, but the subtle slopes around the hole make it almost impossile to sink any kind of putt from a distance of more than 4 feet. For example. One putt, after lining it up based on the green slope, the ball was heading straight for the cup and then, no more than a foot from the hole, it went to the right and missed the cup by about 2 inches. Nobody can possibly plan for that.

It's clever design but not a lot of fun to play. Took me 3 tries just to make par and one round I shot +5.

In short, didn't really enjoy playing this one but I do wish you luck in the contest. I think, going by what I've been reading about the typical player's preferences, you'll do well. This course just isn't my personal cup of tea because of these, what I call "evil additions."

Phoenix Jay

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 10:16:41 PM »
ok lets get to it, i tried nickweis course and it looks good but boy theres a lot of bunkers on the first hole, was trying to thread my shots between them and will admit the green is nice. The second hole looks nice but trying to get the ball to stop on it was a trial lol and ended up above that slope on the green and somehow managed to scramble a par. on hole 3 it looks good and with nice size fairways. all in all a tough and challenging but fair course.
PSN: Phoenix_Jay    feel free to add me PS4

St Andrews Old Course.
The Crater CC (HB Design Contest) Thurs/Fri
The Crater CC (HB Design Contest) Sat/Sun

nickweis

• Go in Your Home!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 03:25:17 PM »
Thanks for playing guys, and offering feedback.   I just wanted to make a comment with regards to the difficulty.  The holes that i have put out are meant to look intimidating, and require some strategy to score well.  Here are some notes to help navigate Pine Park Lodge (3 Hole)

Hole 1: is a par 5 that will only be reachable if the wind is helping slightly.  It is designed to tempt players to go for it, but obviously there is a lot of risk involved.  If the wind is in your face take a 3w or 5w off the tee, and take the first bunkers out of play.  Then another wood into the landing zone and a wedge or flop into the green for a good birdie chance to open things up.

Hole 2: is a par 3 that, depending on the wind, will usually require a 3 iron or 5w off the tee.  it is well known that these longer clubs require a lot of green to stop, so don't just take aim at the pin and let it rip.  if you aim for the middle of the green and work the ball left to right you can set yourself up with another opportunity for birdie, but only if you can sink the 20-25 ft putt.

Hole 3: a par 4 that is designed to be intimidating off the tee again, with many bunkers up the left side.  Work the ball right to left off the tee with either a driver or 3w.  Take careful aim with this tee shot, the more aggressive line will require a longer carry distance, but can set you up with a shorter approach into a green well below the fairway.  When hitting your approach, note how far down the green is, and don't be long.  The front tier of this green slopes back towards the middle of the green (towards the water) so leaving your approach short of the pin will produce the best look at making a birdie.

Anyway, hopefully the caddie notes help you guys out.

Cheers
My Courses:
Red Rock National
Pine Park Lodge (9 hole)
Grizzly Paw Golf Club
The Great Northern G&CC

HitItLong

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 01:56:54 AM »
Sorry been away (camping) won't have time too complete.
FirstBlitzer Au on Xbox One

elgato71

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 06:37:02 AM »
Then why commit to participate ..31 of 32 honored their commitment ..Your the guy..Your that guy..

Rob Landon80

• tgctours.com bitches
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 06:52:29 AM »
Then why commit to participate ..31 of 32 honored their commitment ..Your the guy..Your that guy..

This made me chuckle, love it, Hititlong! "YOUR THAT GUY" hahaha 8)

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 08:53:26 AM »
With HitItLong not submitting an entry, Nickweis gets a bye this round and moves on.  I will not bother to set up a voting poll for this matchup.

Phoenix Jay

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 05:30:22 PM »
well done nickweis, now we get to see the next 3 holes :)
PSN: Phoenix_Jay    feel free to add me PS4

St Andrews Old Course.
The Crater CC (HB Design Contest) Thurs/Fri
The Crater CC (HB Design Contest) Sat/Sun

nickweis

• Go in Your Home!
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2015, 12:38:23 PM »
It would have been nice to have a little friendly competition in round one, but I'll take the bye and invest my time into the next 3 holes instead of campaigning for votes. 

This competition has defiantly helped me get back into the designer just when I thought it was time for a break from TGC, with the great fall game line up coming out.  It's great to see three holes from many different designers and a small taste of the diverse styles and techniques that are out there.  Very inspiring. Thanks to everyone who has been involved so far, and good luck moving forward.
My Courses:
Red Rock National
Pine Park Lodge (9 hole)
Grizzly Paw Golf Club
The Great Northern G&CC

space-cash