« on: October 06, 2015, 09:45:11 AM »
Round 1 Matchup.

Voting poll will be added on Oct 13th.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:03:25 AM by HB_KeithC »

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 04:23:05 PM »
Good luck all, especially nuter :), let's hope for a good matchup

Not got any ideas or started yet, going to go on now and see whether inspiration strikes.  Annoyingly I have some ideas for the TGCTLive contest but can't get too involved with that right now as I'll end up rushing this one
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

Phoenix Jay

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 04:39:31 PM »
goodluck both of you, im looking forward to playing both your courses :)
PSN: Phoenix_Jay    feel free to add me PS4

St Andrews Old Course.
The Crater CC (HB Design Contest) Thurs/Fri
The Crater CC (HB Design Contest) Sat/Sun

Nikecapal

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 11:32:32 AM »
Tough matchup here as I know what both are capable of creating. Both have made perfect courses and Pyates is simply amazing.  If both are on top of their game, it will be tough to pick a winner

Nike

elgato71

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 12:05:21 PM »
Looking forward to see what Nuter41's very Colorful mind has in store!

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 01:57:46 PM »

Looking forward to see what Nuter41's very Colorful mind has in store!

Same here, we both like to do things a bit differently it seems so hoping it's a good matchup :)
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 02:00:11 PM »

Tough matchup here as I know what both are capable of creating. Both have made perfect courses and Pyates is simply amazing.  If both are on top of their game, it will be tough to pick a winner

Nike

Cheers for the vote of confidence.  I wasn't feeling mine to much in terms of looks until today.  I often focus on playability before polishing it up so with this I'm forced to look at that a lot earlier.  I'm getting excited for where this course might be heading now :). Might be tempted to show my hand today, though it's in my nature to tweak right up to the deadline
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 08:06:28 PM »
Course published

Tye Dunes (3 holes)

Have fun all
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

Phoenix Jay

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 08:48:13 PM »
Course published

Tye Dunes (3 holes)

Have fun all

I finally got on and tried this course and its nicely laid out. Plays fair with some decent bunkers on it, and i think it was on 2 i got an aerial view of the dunes as the ball was fling to the green, nice, looks like some work went into them. all in all a nice course :)
PSN: Phoenix_Jay    feel free to add me PS4

St Andrews Old Course.
The Crater CC (HB Design Contest) Thurs/Fri
The Crater CC (HB Design Contest) Sat/Sun

wagtunes

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 09:24:30 PM »
Course published

Tye Dunes (3 holes)

Have fun all

Just gave this one a spin.

Visual - A little on the sparse side for my personal taste (I like lots of trees and water) but nice. Reminds me of one of those desert courses that I played recently. Feels like somewhere in Nevada or maybe even New Mexico.

Playability - Challenging but fair. Love those wild greens. The last hole I had no idea how to line the putt up. Took a guess and it went in. Shot +2. This is the kind of course I know I can score better because it is fair and just need to practice it more. 2nd hole was my favorite. Can't wait to play it with the wind at my back.

All in all, I give it a 7.

Good luck in the contest.

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 10:23:41 PM »
Thanks both.  Whilst there are only 3 holes laid out it will look a bit sparse in places.  I like there to be views across to other holes where I can so I've left gaps with that in mind.  The coastline in between the current holes is scheduled for a short par 4 and par 3 in the coming weeks which I think will help.

Even if I don't progress I'm pleased with my start so will definitely finish this one regardless but would probably slip behind the TGCT Live contest in priority
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

elgato71

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 11:56:55 PM »
Wonderful hole design...With a little splash of color thrown to beautify things a bit..Yet another strong entry from pyates

Artfull_dodger__

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 02:25:02 AM »
Ok chaps here it is.The course of St George 3hole.hope you like it and if I don't progress I will continue work on this for a 18 hole course and some tweets.Slow greens being a harvest theme and a little public stand on hole 1 for fun.
My courses
Early-1981's Loch Ness
The Misty Mountains
Valley of the Kings
The Hogs Breath Manor
Pop's Devils island
The Little lakes golf club
Mirkwood

wagtunes

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 08:31:00 AM »
Ok chaps here it is.The course of St George 3hole.hope you like it and if I don't progress I will continue work on this for a 18 hole course and some tweets.Slow greens being a harvest theme and a little public stand on hole 1 for fun.

Course is showing up under this name.

The course of St george 3holes

Searching with "George" capitalized doesn't find it. So I'll make this correction in the course listing thread.

Just wanted to give you a heads up on this.

wagtunes

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 09:00:54 AM »

Okay, here's my review.

Visual - Nothing really stood out for me but it was a decent looking course.

Playability - Don't put it in the rough left of the fairway on hole 1. You'll never clear the water on the 2nd shot. When going for the green, don't overshoot because the chip onto it with that steep slope down will just land you at the bottom of the green. Shot an 8 on hole 1.

The par 3 hole 2 was pretty easy. Shot par. Just have to get that tee shot a little more accurate.

Hole 3? Well, I guess that tall tree must have clipped my ball on the way up because I had more than enough club to reach the green but instead ended up falling short behind an amazingly strategically placed large bolder. Coincidence? I think not. Shot +1 for the hole and +5 for the 3 holes.

In order to decide personally if I felt the course was fair, I had to play it through again mostly for the 3rd hole. If I remembered correctly, there was no way to avoid having to hit it over that tree.

Ah, but low and behold in doing so, I ran into hole 1 again and while I didn't land in the rough and was able to clear the water on the 2nd shot, I discovered something interesting about the green and the pin placement.  If you're above the hole and you miss (quite possible with the break) your ball goes all the way down the hill to the bottom of the green. On the way back up, you better not run past the hole or you're in the same boat. I shot an 11 this time.

Hole 2 again was an easy par. And then I moved onto the 3rd hole.

This time I clubbed down figuring I'd end up lower down the fairway and below the tree. Nope. Still too far up the fairway so I'd need to go 2 clubs down. With strong winds into your face, that now leaves the danger of landing in the water.

Anyway, once again I ended up in the rough on the 2nd shot, hitting the top of that tree and had to 1 putt just to hit par. I didn't and bogied the hold again.

In summary, I don't like the course. I don't think it's fair. The "difficulties" built in I feel are unreasonable and not what you would find on a real course.

I'm sure others will love the challenge. I just didn't appreciate it.

space-cash