Pelikila Golf Club
28 (70%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: November 04, 2015, 03:27:25 PM

HB Design Tournament Round 2 - UrsinaArctica vs FriendBOMBER

• 32 Replies

wagtunes

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2015, 12:24:44 PM »
Alright, worked late into the night and finally finished the next three holes done. "Pelikila Golf Club (6 holes)" now published.

I know I had some unkind words about this course the first time I played it, but I have developed a new found appreciation for it.

For starters, it is hands down the most visually stunning of all the entries. I would love to go out to a real life course laid out just like this just to experience something like this from a visual perspective.

Secondly, this is a great course to help you improve your game. Strong winds and the big drops make this very challenging both is club selection and aim.

The pin position on 4 is just brutal. I hit the rough way before the pin and still ended up 40 feet downhill of it. I don't even see how it's possible to come close to the pin on your approach. This is where your putting really gets tested if you want to birdie this hole.

Ironically, while the best I shot on the 6 is +2, this may be my favorite course because it is just so visually amazing and such a challenge. I am determined to beat it though I am doubting I can. But trying is becoming a lot of fun.

Yes, I'm genuinely surprised at my turnaround on this one, but stranger things have happened.

friendBOMBER

• GroupMember
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2015, 12:36:46 PM »
Alright, worked late into the night and finally finished the next three holes done. "Pelikila Golf Club (6 holes)" now published.

I know I had some unkind words about this course the first time I played it, but I have developed a new found appreciation for it.

For starters, it is hands down the most visually stunning of all the entries. I would love to go out to a real life course laid out just like this just to experience something like this from a visual perspective.

Secondly, this is a great course to help you improve your game. Strong winds and the big drops make this very challenging both is club selection and aim.

The pin position on 4 is just brutal. I hit the rough way before the pin and still ended up 40 feet downhill of it. I don't even see how it's possible to come close to the pin on your approach. This is where your putting really gets tested if you want to birdie this hole.

Ironically, while the best I shot on the 6 is +2, this may be my favorite course because it is just so visually amazing and such a challenge. I am determined to beat it though I am doubting I can. But trying is becoming a lot of fun.

Yes, I'm genuinely surprised at my turnaround on this one, but stranger things have happened.
Thanks man! By the way, to get close on four, you need to hit a drive that will give you a short pitch shot in. If you get it right you'll have a tap in birdie.
Check out all my course's, listed in the OP of my "friendBOMBER's course catalog" thread in TGC2019 completed courses:

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=29412.msg351275#msg351275

friendBOMBER

• GroupMember
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2015, 12:37:45 PM »
I hope this proves there are impartial voters out there..fB is on my friend list but its ursina for me..just such a playable course & that is the clincher 4 me..planting & all that great looking stuff means nothing to me..i only look where i want the ball to land every shot..im not the best player or ever will be..but fairway..green..or maybe fairway..fairway..green with some rough & bunkers along the way is how i play..i dont care what it looks like.
Fine. No cookies for you at this weeks friends social! LOL!
Check out all my course's, listed in the OP of my "friendBOMBER's course catalog" thread in TGC2019 completed courses:

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=29412.msg351275#msg351275

Phoenix Jay

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2015, 12:48:16 PM »
Ive now played both of these courses and heres what i thought.

When it comes to playability, they both have it. Ursina's has a nice local course feel and has a nice mix of elevations up and down and bombers uses the elevations but more extreme lol. When it comes to scoring, both are similar so for me it will have to come down to the last category, the visuals, and out of the 2 bombers is more detailed and visually amazing to me so bomber pips it, just, for me. this will be a very close vote.
PSN: Phoenix_Jay    feel free to add me PS4

St Andrews Old Course.
The Crater CC (HB Design Contest) Thurs/Fri
The Crater CC (HB Design Contest) Sat/Sun

SANCHEZCFC

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2015, 11:29:22 AM »
I hope this proves there are impartial voters out there..fB is on my friend list but its ursina for me..just such a playable course & that is the clincher 4 me..planting & all that great looking stuff means nothing to me..i only look where i want the ball to land every shot..im not the best player or ever will be..but fairway..green..or maybe fairway..fairway..green with some rough & bunkers along the way is how i play..i dont care what it looks like.
Fine. No cookies for you at this weeks friends social! LOL!
I dont like cookies..LOL..seriously mate i wanted to vote for you i just really like ursinas course so far & think its only fair to vote how i feel..bet chief pairs us in the upcoming best ball now :)

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2015, 11:38:41 AM »
My vote goes to my longtime German friend!

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

My Courses:
Nitro 9 Bedrock
Devils Rain (updated)
Throat of Saint Blaise V.1
Our Lady Of Guadalupe V 0.9
Texoma's 9 Hole On The Green
Opulent Peaks CC
Margaret Thatchers Fields Of Pleasure (joke course)

elgato71

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2015, 10:55:03 AM »
This one is just excruciating as both these course are like 9.5 for me..But gun to my head...FriendBomber's course just has a little more " explosiveness " to it...Both are Dynamite though!

rdh

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2015, 01:27:35 PM »
Got my first hole in one on Ursina's course!  -6 with a par on the last...grr. 

This is a tough one.  They're both very, very well done, but it's like comparing apples to oranges.  How do you compare a solid highlands track to a dramatic, visually impressive tropical course?  Maybe something to consider for future design challenges, although i'm not sure what could be done about it.

In the end it was almost flipping a coin for me as I liked both courses for different reasons.  I asked myself which course i'd want to finish my round on if I could only finish one of them...and I ended up going with friendbomber's course.  I don't have strong reasons for that...like I said, they're very different courses and both are very well done...just hard to compare between the different themes.

rdh

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2015, 01:30:31 PM »
Off topic...I just realized my score doesn't show on the leaderboard.  I restarted my round after a few holes once I saw how a few things were laid out...I assume if you restart a round it's not valid for the leaderboard?

Rob Landon80

• tgctours.com bitches
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2015, 01:40:30 PM »
Off topic...I just realized my score doesn't show on the leaderboard.  I restarted my round after a few holes once I saw how a few things were laid out...I assume if you restart a round it's not valid for the leaderboard?

I didn't know that either Isuppose it would make sence in a way?

rdh

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2015, 02:08:14 PM »
It's a pity...a waste of a hole in one!

Rob Landon80

• tgctours.com bitches
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2015, 09:45:05 PM »
It's a pity...a waste of a hole in one!

Wow that is a shame, well done on your ace anyway :)

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2015, 11:35:03 PM »

I didn't know that either Isuppose it would make sence in a way?

Reads strange to me. As far as i remember all my rounds, restarted or not counted against the leaderboard and the statistics so far. But maybe i just did not pay attention to it enough. I'm more the "play and have fun" guy then going for boards or meaningless statistics.

OH.. forgot:
Gratz for that HIO, rdh  :)  played it on the simulator? .... but ... WHERE'S THE CHAMPAGNE?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 11:38:44 PM by UrsusArctos »
Chris
Steam: UrsinaArctica
Courses released: some ....

Acrilix

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2015, 08:50:59 AM »
Offline statistics don't count either. I've had 8 or 9 HIO's now on TGC, but my game statistics say I've had 4 because the rest were made when playing my own courses offline.
My last 7 courses (newest first):
Binyon Peak
McGonagall Golf Club
Lovelace Bay
Swinburne Forest GC
Brackenridge Nine by Acrilix
Drayton Lakes
Chudleigh Golf Club

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2015, 10:11:27 PM »
Gratz friendBOMBER and good luck in your next matchup.  ;)
Chris
Steam: UrsinaArctica
Courses released: some ....

space-cash