Question About Bridges

• 13 Replies

wagtunes

« on: November 22, 2015, 04:15:55 PM »
I see that there are a number of bridges in the creator. However, they are all of fixed size and some of them, if laying out in pieces, just don't look good. I'd like to use one of these for a crossing between two pieces of land.

So here is my question.

Is there any way to increase the size of a single piece of bridge like you're able to do with trees and plants? If  not, then some of these bridges really only work for very specific crossing distances which I find very design limiting.

What are my options?

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 06:52:58 PM »
Bridges cannot be increased in size and they are fixed to the water level.  There are a couple that you can piece together nicely but it definitely takes patience and a steady hand.

wagtunes

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 06:59:06 PM »
Bridges cannot be increased in size and they are fixed to the water level.  There are a couple that you can piece together nicely but it definitely takes patience and a steady hand.

I have noticed that. A steady hand and maximum zoom to get things to fit just right.

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 07:02:55 PM »
Having joined many a bridge (railway tracks on university links is bridges) I have a odd pointer to lining them up:

1. Closer you zoom in the smaller the movement when aligning.
2. Small rotations are almost unnoticeable so are great for getting it to join perfectly... and if you are doing a large arc then it doesn't even matter.

On another note, would love more control/variety of bridge.  A long and a high stock bridge would be super... In fact quick win would be publishing all/some the current ones at a higher level... Let the designers make them make sense :-)
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

tastegw

• GroupMember
  • only on tuesdays
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 10:25:57 PM »
Curved bridges rock!
i will....

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 06:06:39 PM »
I love doing curved bridges too.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

dclindner

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 04:14:58 PM »
How might one create a bridge over a grass ditch?   Are there any techniques I should use?

RockManDan

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 04:56:56 PM »
Being that the bridges won't set much higher than the water table it would be tricky.  The only real way that I can think of to get an actual ditch of any depth would be to use the big bridge with the three water pass ways.  Lower your ditch as far down as you can without hitting water and then bring the land back up around the bridge leaving only the highest part exposed that suits your liking.  Maybe so one else has some ideas, but the other bridges won't give you much depth.  Maybe somebody else has some better ideas.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

nickweis

• Go in Your Home!
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 12:13:30 PM »
How might one create a bridge over a grass ditch?   Are there any techniques I should use?

I was able to use a few pieces of wood stairs to build a bridge over a dry creek that was above water level.  I believe it was a single step on either end and then two of the three step version in the middle.  I also added the wood fence for a railing and it turned out pretty good.  It was on Pine Park Lodge - Hole 7.

I will try to find a picture to put up later tonight
My Courses:
Red Rock National
The Links @ Inverness Point
Pine Park Lodge (9 hole)
Helena Island Estate (9 hole)
Grizzly Paw Golf Club
Killarney Golf and Country Club
The Great Northern G&CC
The Links of Isolation Island
Coyote Canyon (Original Members, Tour and now 2016 multi)
Steam/PSN: Nickweis12

dclindner

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 01:19:38 PM »
Thanks everyone. I'll try these ideas. I can now understand some of the frustration with water. Having bridges pinned to water and then only allowing water at a fixed level is particularly limiting. 

RockManDan

• GroupMember
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 03:50:36 PM »
There was some talk a while back about the possibility of different water levels and maybe even flowing water........  Maybe coming in another update.  That might open up some possibilities with bridges as well.  I'm just guessing though,
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

RockManDan

• GroupMember
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2015, 02:11:51 AM »

I was able to use a few pieces of wood stairs to build a bridge over a dry creek that was above water level.  I believe it was a single step on either end and then two of the three step version in the middle.  I also added the wood fence for a railing and it turned out pretty good.  It was on Pine Park Lodge - Hole 7.

I will try to find a picture to put up later tonight

CLEVER !!!!!
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

UrsusArctos

• Golf-Teacher EGTF
    • GrizzlyGolfAcademy
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2015, 06:51:27 AM »
Checkout "White Fir Valley" and "Le golf des vacheries" to see the originals.
Chris
Steam: UrsinaArctica
Courses released: some ....

DoGgzbollox

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 08:03:56 AM »
Go see TPC@ Boston, i created the ditch then raised up a thin area like a land bridge then covered the thin area from one side to the other with the single wooden step prefab, that then covers the land strip as if it was not there, once planted with grasses etc you cannot make out the raised strip unless you are looking for it.

space-cash