23 (57.5%)
Whonnock Lake Golf Club
17 (42.5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

HB Design Tournament Rd 3 - McMulligans Oaks vs Whonnock Lake Golf Club

• 61 Replies

Coggin66

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2015, 07:43:54 PM »
Hi Wagtunes. For future reference you can search the TGCT course database for the designers real name and then drill into the player to get their gamer tag and platform.
My courses:
TGC2019
Wavebreak Spit GC
Bhavacakra GC, Nepal
Kakadu Wetlands
Mount Panorama Bathurst 18
Kentash Bay
Propellor Island Archipelago
TGC1 only
Dam Treitaget GC
Barco Rio Desert GC
Highlow Island Links Resort

XB1: Coggin66
President of XB Seniors society

Rob Landon80

• tgctours.com bitches
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015, 06:58:57 PM »
Mcmulligans oaks 9 hole now published.

wagtunes

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 07:42:08 PM »

Hey Rob, you probably remember our little convo from round 2. Pretty much the same, though I am improving. I shot +3 on the front 9. That translates to a 78 for the whole course which isn't bad considering how tough this course is under extreme conditions, which I always seem to get.

Still a great design and I have a lot of respect for the work you put into it.

I think the voting is going to be very close.

Good luck and either way, please finish it.

I'm determined to beat this thing. LOL.

Rob Landon80

• tgctours.com bitches
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 07:07:54 AM »

Hey Rob, you probably remember our little convo from round 2. Pretty much the same, though I am improving. I shot +3 on the front 9. That translates to a 78 for the whole course which isn't bad considering how tough this course is under extreme conditions, which I always seem to get.

Still a great design and I have a lot of respect for the work you put into it.

I think the voting is going to be very close.

Good luck and either way, please finish it.

I'm determined to beat this thing. LOL.

Thanks WT yeah i remember  :) i hope the voting will be close as Andre has a lot of fans.
with this course I wanted people to think about their shots rather than just smashing a driver off the tee, of course you can do but you might get into trouble doing so, especially if the winds are up.
As for finishing i definitely will do, just for you  ;) lol.

heshwuan

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 07:49:44 PM »
Thanks WT yeah i remember  :) i hope the voting will be close as Andre has a lot of fans.
with this course I wanted people to think about their shots rather than just smashing a driver off the tee, of course you can do but you might get into trouble doing so, especially if the winds are up.
As for finishing i definitely will do, just for you  ;) lol.

Im a fan of that epic first hole--its one of the most memorable holes in the competition imo.
And its one of the few times I can say I liked ending the 9 on a par 3--it just seemed to fit really well.
Im looking forward to playing the back 9 if you eventually complete it. I think I saw it temporarily laid-out already..

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 07:52:21 PM by heshwuan »

SANCHEZCFC

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 07:28:40 AM »
McMulligans Oaks for me on this one really like the course.

Rob Landon80

• tgctours.com bitches
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 01:16:23 PM »
Thanks guys really appreciate the comments :D

elgato71

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2015, 03:23:28 PM »
This is an upset for me, but I'm actually going McMulligan here..Why you ask? While Canuck's course is stunningly Beautiful it got to feel a bit samey from 1 hole to the next..Rlandon's course offered more variety in look and feel as you went along, while looking very Lovely..Both courses are Magnificent !

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 11:00:12 PM »
These comments are amazing to me

This is not really even close

« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 11:23:49 PM by ADX321 »
Courses I claim in order of how I like em

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Old Beaver Creek (With Reebdoog)
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

Rob Landon80

• tgctours.com bitches
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2015, 03:27:06 AM »
Everyone has different tastes adx, and seeing as its my first course I don't think I'm doing too bad, especially that I've made it to the third round so far is no mean feat.

Btw what do you think I could do to improve those holes already published? As I want to finish this one so any tips before publishing would help,

Thanks.

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2015, 10:13:21 AM »
Everyone has different tastes adx, and seeing as its my first course I don't think I'm doing too bad, especially that I've made it to the third round so far is no mean feat.

Btw what do you think I could do to improve those holes already published? As I want to finish this one so any tips before publishing would help,

Thanks.

You obviously don't need my advice - but your course isn't anywhere in the same zipcode as his from not only a technical sense but the shot values.  You mentioned you wanted people to not just rip driver every hole?  that's exactly what I did the one time I played it.  I can't even do that on his courses because of how he designs the fairways shapes and landing areas.

The fact your course, your very first course, is still going in this contest pretty much proves my point that I'm amazed that could happen.

No offense but your course looks like an auto gen that you put some elevation work into.  My course got beat by an autogen course with some elevation work put into it.  I'm not saying it IS an autogen just saying it looks like it is.

I think I just look at creating holes differently since I don't use the autogen.

My post really isn't about your course, or your design skills actually although I'm sure you think I'm insulting you... I'm not trying to.  My post is that I don't understand how "different tastes" could be so ill informed but this contest has shown that on several occasions.

Trust me I probably just got you several votes since people don't like anyone (me) who says what they think without PC'ing it up.  If anyone should be mad it should be canuck.

I absolutely mean no ill will towards you.

You obviously do elevation well - except some of the cliffs that just became tough to believe going straight down etc.

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

Rob Landon80

• tgctours.com bitches
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2015, 10:43:56 AM »
The only thing that I found insulting was the auto gen comment! I've seen auto gen courses and mine is nothing like it but each to their own I suppose, but thanks for your input, and if I lose? I'm not that bothered as Andre is another cut above when it comes to designer but thanks for the extra votes anyway :)

wagtunes

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2015, 10:44:01 AM »

Thanks.

Rob, I can't respond to a certain post because we've been ordered to ignore each other and I have no intention of disobeying a direct order so I'm going to direct this comment specifically to you.

Taste is a funny thing. There is no accounting for it. There are things in this world that I love that people look at me and wonder what the hell I'm thinking. Conversely, there are things that others love that I shake my head and wonder how.

You know how I feel about your course. I felt it was designed well. I had no problem at all with  design. My criticisms were strictly on a difficulty level. And even there, you have all kinds of tastes. Some people want courses that play very easy while others bore easy unless the course is of QA School difficulty level. Again, different tastes.

So any criticisms of your course, or any course for that matter, is just that...taste. It is no actual reflection on the quality of work that you've done.

Now, somebody who does in fact just auto gen a course, knows how much or how little work they have put in. If they are fine with that, hey, it's their course. Conversely, if somebody suspects an auto gen course with little effort put in, they're going to judge that course accordingly. That is their right as well. It's why we have contests like these. You really don't know how others will vote because everybody has different tastes and judgments. Otherwise, we could just feed the course code into a computer and have the computer pick the winner.

Point is this. Take each comment here, good or bad, with a grain of salt. Because just like in baseball, your course is never as good as the best comments and never as bad as the worst. The truth usually lies somewhere in the middle. It's only how many people see the one side or the other that will determine where you end up in this contest.

I learned this a long time ago. Never believe your own press, no matter how good or bad it is. Because you're libel to end up with either a swelled head or terribly depressed. I've lived through that with my music for over 36 years now. And it's taken me almost that long to just accept that some will like my music and some will hate my music and that ultimately, what I have to do, is make music for ME and nobody else. Once I learned to do that, that's when I became truly happy with my craft.

I almost fell into that trap with this course design stuff. Sure, I'd like to get better at it. But in the grand scheme of things, the only thing that matters is that I make a course that I like to play. If others like it, that'a just gravy on the mashed potatoes.

I think your course is fine. And the only reason I didn't vote for it is because CC's was easier for me to play. It had nothing to do with the "quality" of the course that you've created. So when somebody tells you that you're not in the same league, take it with a grain of salt.

An opinion does not make it a fact.

No matter what somebody says.

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2015, 11:10:31 AM »
The only thing that I found insulting was the auto gen comment! I've seen auto gen courses and mine is nothing like it but each to their own I suppose, but thanks for your input, and if I lose? I'm not that bothered as Andre is another cut above when it comes to designer but thanks for the extra votes anyway :)

Did you lay out the fairways from scratch or "draw" each hole then alter?

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

Crazycanuck1985

• GroupMember
    • TGCToursTV Twitch Channel
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2015, 12:16:40 PM »

Thanks.

Rob, I think your course is quite strong, especially for your first course. Keep it up!

space-cash