Royal St. Iona (with vid)

• 14 Replies

Mav78

« on: November 20, 2015, 02:06:07 AM »
Hi everyone. My new course is ready to play. Sorry if the load time is excessive, less planting next time :) Enjoy!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UsValnvMbpY
Golf as Design:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agI50XD4UTM&list=PLmIOu6aeXLGfXQXFjqOpzJHT2T46gDYWB

Follow newportgolfer on Instagram for real life golf/construction/maintenance/design

Three Cliffs Bay
Royal St. Iona
Troon West
Kankakee - TPC or Valley
Davies at Bora Bora
The George Washington

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 08:24:18 PM »
Plan to give this a play when I next get a chance... This is one of the threads I found that was completely lacking in any responses!  Looks stunning from the pics, hope some other folks see this and go out for a round
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

mikemike3000

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 10:22:43 PM »
Just played it. And its definitely a course with good quality! HIO #14 :)   
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 10:25:49 PM by mikemike3000 »
Courses TGC2:
Tillma Golf Club
Tarwa Golf Club
Massara Golf Club
Gewella Golf Club
Taby Golf Club - Sweden [RCR]
Bro Hof Slott Golf Club, Stadium Course - Sweden [RCR]
Vallentuna Golfklubb [RCR]

TGC1
Fossmill Golf Club
Mazinka Island (par 3 course)
Zewina Golf Club

wagtunes

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 10:35:09 PM »
Just played this.

I commend you on the quality of the course on a purely technical level. Great job there.

Personally, there were a few things that I simply don't enjoy about a lot of courses in this game. Narrow fairways, fast greens, small greens, and generally the need to be literally dead perfect to not be penalized.

I get that a lot of people have become so good at this game that they no longer find much challenge in it, but I am an average player at best and some of these courses I feel are just not representative of what you would find out in the real world.

Having said that, this wasn't by any means the worst I've run into as I managed to shoot +4 under these conditions.

Probably not a course I'll want to play again but I have to admit you did an amazing job on it from a technical standpoint.

Griz891

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 12:59:21 AM »
I really enjoyed my round on this course (-5). I think you did a superb job on it and I'll definately go a few more rounds on it....thank you!! ;D

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 12:45:33 PM »
Hi Mav.  I just watched your video preview all the way through..... Something I almost never do, and your course looks amazing.  My one regret is that I'm at my Sister's for Thanksgiving this week and won't get to play it til I get home.  I don't think it looks over planted at all.  Normally the Highlands theme is just too freakin' bland for my taste.  There was one hole, I think it was # 10 that was just screaming for a rock formation to the right off the tee.  That's my thing though and just my opinion.  Your sculpting looks very natural and probably a bit challenging in places in a good way.  I can't wait to give this one a play !!!!!
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

Mav78

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 05:37:09 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. Sorry Wagtunes if it was overly difficult, its very hard to get good blend. I actually found it too easy,i waS 9 undr after 11 and feeling a bit annoyed because my courses are generally deemed too easy and i wanted to create a toughy but it seems most arnt shootinv crazy low just yet. Sorry Jimwau for missing the rock formation on 10 lol yiu will tell by the load time that i was already was overplanted :))
Golf as Design:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agI50XD4UTM&list=PLmIOu6aeXLGfXQXFjqOpzJHT2T46gDYWB

Follow newportgolfer on Instagram for real life golf/construction/maintenance/design

Three Cliffs Bay
Royal St. Iona
Troon West
Kankakee - TPC or Valley
Davies at Bora Bora
The George Washington

wagtunes

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 09:00:16 AM »
Thanks for the feedback guys. Sorry Wagtunes if it was overly difficult, its very hard to get good blend. I actually found it too easy,i waS 9 undr after 11 and feeling a bit annoyed because my courses are generally deemed too easy and i wanted to create a toughy but it seems most arnt shootinv crazy low just yet. Sorry Jimwau for missing the rock formation on 10 lol yiu will tell by the load time that i was already was overplanted :))

No need to apologize. It wasn't like it was a total fantasy course and I shot +18, which I have done on some of those monstrosities with 350 yard drives over water that can't possibly be made. In fact, at +4, I know that if I took the time to really learn the course, I could probably break par.

Like I said, you did a great job and have nothing to apologize for.

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 01:27:07 PM »
It was just a suggestion.  I know what a pain it is when you get the object meter up there and have to stop.  It is a beautiful course and I can't wait to play it.  I really do wish that HB could figure out a way to fix this though.  Can you imagine some of the courses we would get woot the current limitations?
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

Mav78

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 02:02:06 PM »
I know I planted tons but i wanted more, far more. Grass seems to be the major problem so i will use it wisely next time. I don't use firm much as i find it unrealistic but it worked well on fairways as i sprinkled bunkers at the end of the landing zones to make people think twice about using driver. In turn that is why many of the greens are elevated or receptive to stop wedges or short irons hitting before the green but bouncing through the green which I think spoils courses.

Three Cliffs Bay
Royal St. Iona
Troon West
Kankakee - TPC or Valley
Davies at Bora Bora
The George Washington

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 08:24:33 PM »
Needed a few additional courses for the latest showcase tour so I picked some of my old pre contest favourites which included this one...

It's now live in case you haven't seen: 3 Hole Showcase Contest: Series 2 Tour 2
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

Mav78

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 02:36:53 PM »
Thanks Pyates for the bump I've done a new video which i will release soon

Three Cliffs Bay
Royal St. Iona
Troon West
Kankakee - TPC or Valley
Davies at Bora Bora
The George Washington

Mav78

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 02:21:44 AM »
https://youtu.be/nFZ1gc1Bym4

I have just added a golf as design vid for this enjoy!

Three Cliffs Bay
Royal St. Iona
Troon West
Kankakee - TPC or Valley
Davies at Bora Bora
The George Washington

ErixonStone

• GroupMember
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 03:07:29 PM »
A bump for this course with a review from the Forum Designers' Tour

Royal St. Iona by Mav78

My Score: 64 (-8)

Royal St. Iona is set in the Highlands theme, and like many Highlands theme courses, has its share of coastal holes, cliffside holes, and canyon holes.  The designer uses the native bushes and grasses really well throughout the course, and adds a fantastic palette of pink, purple, blue, and yellow by making extensive use of the global plants.  Sculpting is very well done as well – both with the natural feel and a fantasy feel (more on this later).

Many holes offer options off the tee, and the receptive greens mean that the safe play is often the better play.  For most of the round, proper course management is prioritized over accuracy off the tee while the soft greens usually favor the shotmakers.  Your approaches will vary in length, but you can take a driver on almost every hole.  Fairways are soft, but finding a flat lie can be difficult.

For most of the round, the course feels realistic, and I really enjoyed the round.  There is a stretch of holes, however, in the middle of the round – 9, 10, 11, 12 – that felt very much like a fantasy course.  There were sharp changes in elevation and long steep slopes on the small greens that weren’t present throughout the rest of the course.  Individually, I really liked those holes too, but they didn’t fit.  I would really like to see an entire course built around those holes.

With the soft and manageable greens, and available safe areas, the course should provide a fair challenge to beginner players.  Intermediate and skilled players will likely find this course to be a little bit too easy for a competition, but perfect for a fun round of casual golf with friends.
TGC2 Courses:
Transylvania Municipal Golf Park
Glacier Meadow Par 3 Nine
Acacia National
Bearded Pelican Golf Links

TGC1 Courses:
The Golf Club at Hylan Park
Crescentic Bay Golf Course
La Playa Vacia Golf Retreat
El Toro Golf Club

Mav78

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 01:47:53 PM »
Thanks of the time to do this review mate. It never really occurred to me the few holes
Fantasy holes u mention but I can see what u are getting at, my best course to date I think but lots to improve on

Three Cliffs Bay
Royal St. Iona
Troon West
Kankakee - TPC or Valley
Davies at Bora Bora
The George Washington

space-cash