Glen Abbey Golf Club

• 14 Replies

zarlyy

• GroupMember
« on: November 20, 2015, 01:21:37 PM »
Seems like they are going to tear down the Glen Abbey Golf Club, The first-ever solo design of the legendary Jack Nicklaus, wonder if anyone could create it here. I have never played it but would love to just because it's usually the Canadian open.

BoomBoom

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 02:06:28 PM »
The water table makes it difficult, there is 200 or 300 feet of elevation and water on a bunch of different levels on the real thing.

Can you tell I checked, but I'm not nearly capable of building a real course.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Bethpage State Park Black Course
Glen Abbey GC
Horned Viper GC (Gold Tees)
Thousand Islands Golf and CC

Why do i play with a female avatar? Because I would rather look at an ugly female than a pretty male.....

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 07:47:44 AM »
I think you'd do a great job Boomser! Just use the Stormgolf technique to trace it out and then the sculpting and planning you already got down!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoomBoom

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 09:22:45 AM »
I think you'd do a great job Boomser! Just use the Stormgolf technique to trace it out and then the sculpting and planning you already got down!

Great, I seen that rather excellent tutorial by storm golf. I had already installed Peek through, it looks like it works like a champ, real courses should be a cake walk now.

I thought about the different water tables, they can be replaced with dry beds of stuff in game.

I might just take this one on.

Thx for the vote of confidence, judging from some of the feedback I received most recently, I'm not sure its shared community wide, but that just means I need to work harder and I will.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Glen Abbey GC

Why do i play with a female avatar? Because I would rather look at an ugly female than a pretty male.....

BoomBoom

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 09:28:56 AM »
Any Glen Abbey photos and info out there, please post and share.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Glen Abbey GC

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 01:09:16 PM »

Great, I seen that rather excellent tutorial by storm golf. I had already installed Peek through, it looks like it works like a champ, real courses should be a cake walk now.

I thought about the different water tables, they can be replaced with dry beds of stuff in game.

I might just take this one on.

Thx for the vote of confidence, judging from some of the feedback I received most recently, I'm not sure its shared community wide, but that just means I need to work harder and I will.

Or you can employ my Tobo "fake hole" technique where you build the holes in separate locations and use some fake holes around them to make it look coherent. Works well when the bodies of water are not connected.

rdh

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 01:26:14 PM »
That's a smart workaround...very clever!

BoomBoom

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 06:25:30 PM »
I cant get peek through to work, it peeks through, but then nothing in the designer will click and the game keeps crashing and every time I click it goes ding dong.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Glen Abbey GC

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 08:49:42 PM »
Bummer! There are more software out there that do the same thing if you look around.

BoomBoom

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 12:27:06 AM »
I'm using another called ghost it, seems to be working but the GNCD is crashing every few minutes.

I need pictures and data though if I'm going to make this one work, first hole looks great, but not a blade of grass has been planted yet.

I have google pro, so elevation data is good to go.

Green undulations etc are needed, anyone have a PGA book from the open?

Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Glen Abbey GC

guitardude_324

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 10:50:29 AM »
I was certainly disappointed to hear the news.  I live about half an hour from Glen Abbey and was at the Open this year and it was lovely.  I know people are voicing out against it and some city officials are against the idea too.  Maybe if they're successful, this will be avoided.  But, worst case scenario, it'll be at least 5 years before anything major happens.
Steam Name:
guitardude_324

TGC19 Courses:
Featherwind Golf Club
Roundabout Golf Club
Halton Beach G&CC

rdh

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 10:57:35 AM »
Agreed guitardude.  I've never actually played it but I was at the open this year as well...too bad about Hearn, but what a stretch of golf it kicked off for Jason Day.  We live about 45 minutes away.  I'll be looking forward to playing this one on the simulator...the elevation drop into the valley will be cool!

BoomBoom

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 12:28:52 PM »
Agreed guitardude.  I've never actually played it but I was at the open this year as well...too bad about Hearn, but what a stretch of golf it kicked off for Jason Day.  We live about 45 minutes away.  I'll be looking forward to playing this one on the simulator...the elevation drop into the valley will be cool!

Just managed to get the 80 foot drop, clubhouse and parking lot will hide the elevated tee pretty good, I should have no water table issues either, 5 mile creek going in now, as well as working on 11, I'll some pics up once I have a few more holes in. Hole 11 will be spectacular, as well as it should be.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Glen Abbey GC

rdh

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 03:11:05 PM »
Can't wait to see screenshots!

I wonder if the new rustic theme might be a good fit for this one...hopefully hb will give us a couple teaser screenshots.

Bubba22

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 02:20:06 PM »
I'm 45 min from th Abbey and hav played it several times. It's awesome! I can't wait to play this once done. Can you please make a simulator version for our sim community. Much appreciated!

space-cash