The Links @ Inverness Point

• 6 Replies

nickweis

• Go in Your Home!
« on: November 21, 2015, 09:32:18 PM »
It has been a while since I have published a full 18 hole course, after being involved in two design contests over the past couple months.  So, without further delay, I would like to present "The Links @ Inverness Point" .  This is a true links course inspired by some of my favourite links courses across the world. 

This par 71 layout is 7093 yards, with conditions dialled up to the firm and fast side.  Club section of the tee can be very important to keeping the ball in the fairway, and out of the heavy rough.  Then use the large greens to roll the ball up to the pin to score well. 

As always, I look forward to any feedback.

Cheers
My Courses:
Red Rock National
Pine Park Lodge (9 hole)
Helena Island Estate (9 hole)
Grizzly Paw Golf Club
Killarney Golf and Country Club
The Great Northern G&CC
The Links of Isolation Island
Coyote Canyon (Original Members, Tour and now 2016 multi)
Steam/PSN: Nickweis12

karma4u

• GroupMember
  • I know a little german

nickweis

• Go in Your Home!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 02:45:33 PM »
Thanks for the pics, great work as always.
My Courses:
Red Rock National
Pine Park Lodge (9 hole)
Helena Island Estate (9 hole)
Grizzly Paw Golf Club
Killarney Golf and Country Club
The Great Northern G&CC
The Links of Isolation Island
Coyote Canyon (Original Members, Tour and now 2016 multi)
Steam/PSN: Nickweis12

Antiparosjez

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 03:38:27 PM »
Looks interesting, on the list!
Domino Sands Man of Kent Power Station Grendel Woods The Pier Sandyhurst Lakes North Kernow, Chart Lakes, West Foreland Elysium Park, White Mountain, Easter Bay, White Rocks,Stour Manor, Samphire Golf Links, The Estate, Romney Harbour, Kingston Park, Gull Rock, City Park, Mullion Cliffs, Wealden

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2016, 08:24:46 PM »
Needed a few additional courses for the latest showcase tour so I picked some of my old pre contest favourites which included this one...

It's now live in case you haven't seen: 3 Hole Showcase Contest: Series 2 Tour 2
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

Mav78

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 02:36:00 PM »
Love the looks of this course will get on it after
Golf as Design:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agI50XD4UTM&list=PLmIOu6aeXLGfXQXFjqOpzJHT2T46gDYWB

Follow newportgolfer on Instagram for real life golf/construction/maintenance/design

Three Cliffs Bay
Royal St. Iona
Troon West
Kankakee - TPC or Valley
Davies at Bora Bora
The George Washington

ErixonStone

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 03:14:55 PM »
A bump for this course with a review from the Forum Designers' Tour

The Links @ Inverness Point by nickweis

My Score: 76 (+5)

The Links @ Inverness Point is set up as a championship course and has an interesting, natural layout.  The fairways are slightly narrow and most approaches will be with long irons or fairway woods.  With the firm and fast greens, you’ll need to get as far down the fairway as possible, which means challenging the narrow landing areas quite often.  Inaccurate drives are penalized severely as there isn’t a first cut of rough.

The firm and fast greens were difficult to hold with the many long approaches, and many of them sloped sharply near the edges.  One particular pitch carried 53 yards and rolled 27 more up the hill, resulting in a 21 foot putt down 7 inches.  Another 6-iron shot landed 15 yards before the pin and caught a slope and rolled through the green and down the hill to the collection area.  Of particular note is the banana-shaped green at #14.  The green only measures about 30 feet in depth.  I landed in the fairway in front of the pin and rolled through the green.  The alternative was to play to one of the sides and hope the slope guides the ball towards the pin.  I tried that in a previous round and was left with a very long putt.

The designer does a nice job using the native plants and grasses to give the course a natural look and feel, but the course doesn’t overwhelm you with beauty.  Sculpting all around the course is excellent, providing a very realistic look with lots of smooth rolling hills and finely done bunkers. 

One peculiar attribute of the course is that the designer chose the light rough surface to create the tee boxes.  For me, the contrast between the light and heavy rough didn’t clearly define a tee area, and had some nasty side effects.  Because of the rough tee boxes, the default club off every tee was a 3-iron which meant switching clubs prior to every drive.  The other side effect had a significant impact: altering the shot in any way – adding loft or applying draw or fade – would produce erratic drives, often shooting off target by several yards.  This cost me a number of strokes throughout the round as there were some heavy winds for a fair portion of it.

This course is designed to challenge the best TGC golfers out there, and by that standard, it certainly achieves its goal.  For intermediate players, this course is difficult in the best of conditions.
TGC2 Courses:
Transylvania Municipal Golf Park
Glacier Meadow Par 3 Nine
Acacia National
Bearded Pelican Golf Links

TGC1 Courses:
The Golf Club at Hylan Park
Crescentic Bay Golf Course
La Playa Vacia Golf Retreat
El Toro Golf Club

space-cash