25 (53.2%)
Pelikila Golf Club
22 (46.8%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Design Contest Finals: Apache Creek vs Pelikila Golf Club

• 55 Replies

wagtunes

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 12:59:04 PM »
Well, I have played both courses, Apache Creek twice.

BOMBER, this same course that I shot +17 on the first 3 holes the first time I tackled it and curses the living daylights out of it, has quietly become my favorite course.

Today, I was unfortunate enough to have to tackle it in brutal winds and thus got off to a terrible +3 start after just 2 holes. This had disaster written all over it.

Then something very odd happened.

I shot par on holes 3 though 12.

I then went on to birdie 13, 14 and 15 to pull to even par.

After a bogie on 16, I made par on 17 and then on 18, on a 170 yard approach shot, I not only landed an eagle but unlocked the Comeback Kid achievement shooting 1 under for the round.

A month ago if you'd told me I'd break par on this course I would have told you that you were crazy and should have your head examined.

Very interesting differences between these two courses. While I find your way to the green to be infinitely harder, Apache Creek's greens give me fits as far as putting goes. I can't tell you how many putts I missed between 3 and 6 inches. I shot par my first round and 3 or 4 over my 2nd round. I just could not figure out those greens.

While Apache Creek is more realistic, and I love some of the views and the work that was done on it, Pelikila is more exciting, for lack of a better word. Some of the holes I almost dread teeing off on having to look at what I'm up against. But if you conquer those tee shots and approach shots and get it to the green in regulation, I find you have an excellent chance at birdie. Most of my par holes came because I couldn't make it to the green in regulation. But I scrambled like a champ and somehow pulled out a 1 under.

Both courses are excellent and both will be added to my favorites, especially since I'm determined to conquer Apache's greens. But ultimately, I had to give my vote to Pelikila, the course that I cursed like the devil when this thing first started.

Who duh thunk it?

friendBOMBER

• GroupMember
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 02:02:08 PM »
Well, I have played both courses, Apache Creek twice.

BOMBER, this same course that I shot +17 on the first 3 holes the first time I tackled it and curses the living daylights out of it, has quietly become my favorite course.

Today, I was unfortunate enough to have to tackle it in brutal winds and thus got off to a terrible +3 start after just 2 holes. This had disaster written all over it.

Then something very odd happened.

I shot par on holes 3 though 12.

I then went on to birdie 13, 14 and 15 to pull to even par.

After a bogie on 16, I made par on 17 and then on 18, on a 170 yard approach shot, I not only landed an eagle but unlocked the Comeback Kid achievement shooting 1 under for the round.

A month ago if you'd told me I'd break par on this course I would have told you that you were crazy and should have your head examined.

Very interesting differences between these two courses. While I find your way to the green to be infinitely harder, Apache Creek's greens give me fits as far as putting goes. I can't tell you how many putts I missed between 3 and 6 inches. I shot par my first round and 3 or 4 over my 2nd round. I just could not figure out those greens.

While Apache Creek is more realistic, and I love some of the views and the work that was done on it, Pelikila is more exciting, for lack of a better word. Some of the holes I almost dread teeing off on having to look at what I'm up against. But if you conquer those tee shots and approach shots and get it to the green in regulation, I find you have an excellent chance at birdie. Most of my par holes came because I couldn't make it to the green in regulation. But I scrambled like a champ and somehow pulled out a 1 under.

Both courses are excellent and both will be added to my favorites, especially since I'm determined to conquer Apache's greens. But ultimately, I had to give my vote to Pelikila, the course that I cursed like the devil when this thing first started.

Who duh thunk it?
Thanks man! Nice shooting in the high winds!
My Most Recent:
Cabot Cliffs (LiDAR)
Trump National Colts Neck
Hackensack Golf Club
Jefferson City CC
The Dunes
Scarboro Golf Club
Itasca Country Club
Sonny's Willow Run
Sonny's Brandon GC
Sonny's Prairie Green GC
Pebble Beach
Firestone Country Club
East Lake Golf Club
Turkey Creek Golf Club

drivert

• GroupMember
  • XBOX GT is mariner175
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 02:12:07 PM »
Thanks for playing and voting wagtunes. At this point you have to vote your heart

wagtunes

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2015, 02:30:26 PM »
Thanks for playing and voting wagtunes. At this point you have to vote your heart

It was not an easy decision for me. Your course was a favorite of mine from the very beginning while I wished BOMBER's would fall into a ravine. LOL. But as I've gotten better at this game (and I still have a long way to go) I have begun to appreciate the maniacal twisted mind that came up with that abomination of nature. It's not a course I'd ever want to play in real life (as if anybody would be crazy enough to inflict that kind of pain on any civilized golfer) but in this game, it was a unique challenge.

Your course, on the other hand, I'd be happy to trek onto the tee for a real round if I could actually play this game for real, which I can't. Miniature golf gives me fits.

Ultimately, I think the voting on this is going to be very close with the outcome being determined by the percentage of people who prefer a more realistic course over a more fantasy like course or vice versa.

This should be very interesting when the dust settles.

In other words, BOMBER shouldn't count his chickens just yet.

BeamerCA

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 02:36:57 PM »
Bomber, are you the designer hehind the beautifully recreation of Pebble Beach?
Courses designed :
Richards Pond Delta Golf Course
Statton Hills CC
The Clowns Nest (Morning )
Lil Fry 81
Borderlands Golf
Hide Away Golf Course
Richards Pond Country Clu

rdh

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2015, 02:53:00 PM »
This was a tough one!  How do you compare such different courses? 

In terms of dramatic visuals and a dramatic layout and a great challenge, hands down it's Pelikila.  I shot +1 on it...admittedly not a strong round, but I also got burned twice by red-staked (what I thought were) hazard areas to be told I was out of bounds.  Those areas were a knock against it for me...hopefully a version will be released with those set as hazards.  It really is a pretty awesome showcase for TGC...although you wouldn't want a new player to try it for their first course!  The sheer effort in sculting and planting on this one is incredible.

For apache creek I don't have as much commentary...but I voted for apache in the end.  While apache may not be anything groundbreaking or that we haven't seen before, it is exactly what I love...highly realistic, highly playable courses.  In that regard Pelikila was at a disadvantage for my vote...there are no clear criteria to base votes on, so for me those are the most important criteria when I look at course designs.  Again, I don't think you can really compare these two courses fairly. 

Amazing work by both of you...in different ways.  Thanks for the work guys!

I won't request a protee version of pelikila because I don't enjoy shooting over 100 on the simulator, but i'll definitely be looking for a protee version of Apache drivert!

drivert

• GroupMember
  • XBOX GT is mariner175
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2015, 02:56:16 PM »
Bomber, are you the designer hehind the beautifully recreation of Pebble Beach?
Yep that was bomber

BeamerCA

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2015, 03:34:49 PM »
Thanks Drive. BTW, your entry is very well done. Love the little touches you put in. It felt like a course I could actually play IRL.
Courses designed :
Richards Pond Delta Golf Course
Statton Hills CC
The Clowns Nest (Morning )
Lil Fry 81
Borderlands Golf
Hide Away Golf Course
Richards Pond Country Clu

wagtunes

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2015, 04:13:53 PM »
Thanks Drive. BTW, your entry is very well done. Love the little touches you put in. It felt like a course I could actually play IRL.

It is indeed very realistic, which is what I loved about it from the beginning. Ultimately, I went with "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" over "A Beautiful Mind."

karma4u

• GroupMember
  • I know a little german
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2015, 08:00:58 PM »
Congrats to both Todd and Brandon on getting to the finals........You should both feel extremely proud of your achievement...Really, your courses have beaten out some incredible designers..

Both of you are winners.......Cheers.....

Cally

• GroupMember
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2015, 09:25:45 PM »
Congrats to both XB1 designers, I have enjoyed featuring their courses on my weekly tour, and with that said I now have 2 more unique courses for this coming weekend. Great job guys...

Cally

• GroupMember
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2015, 09:30:01 PM »

It is indeed very realistic, which is what I loved about it from the beginning. Ultimately, I went with "Raiders Of The Lost Ark" over "A Beautiful Mind."

Wagtunes,

I have enjoyed reading your journey through Bombers course submissions, I remember when the first 3 holes were published you bashed the heel out of it. Now that your game has improved to see you vote for it as the best course is quite funny. Keep on improving your game

Cheers
Cally

wagtunes

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2015, 08:11:29 AM »

Wagtunes,

I have enjoyed reading your journey through Bombers course submissions, I remember when the first 3 holes were published you bashed the heel out of it. Now that your game has improved to see you vote for it as the best course is quite funny. Keep on improving your game

Cheers
Cally

Thanks Cally. I have come a long way since I first started playing this game. I still hit those courses that give me fits, especially in 20 moh winds, but for the most part, I'm shooting par or better and that's all I can ask for.

jwfickett

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2015, 09:54:17 AM »
I absolutely loved both courses.  This was not an easy vote for me.

Apache was certainly the more relatable course for me.  It's the type of course that I like to design and the type I like to play both IRL and on this game.  I played it first, really enjoyed my round, and thought it would be the clear cut winner for me.

Then I played Pelikila, and its just such an incredible achievement in sculpting and creativity.  I love the open feel and the shrub-dominated planting.  It transported me to Hawai'i.  Just such a cool course, but definitely out of my comfort zone.

In the end, I voted for Pelikila, and it really came down to one deciding factor:  Options.  Apache Creek dictates to you how it will be played, with lots of forced lay-ups and short siding.  There is NOTHING wrong with that design style, but it just felt a little bit too limiting in that regard.  Pelikila lets you find your own path on so many holes and there is just a world of trouble waiting for you no matter which decision you make off the tee.  In that regard, I think it has slightly more replay value and might withstand the test of time a little bit better.

I rated Pelikila a 9/10 and Apache an 8/10 and that was really the deciding vote.

Both are worthy courses to be in the final and I will be revisiting them both again soon.  Congratulations to you both on beating out so many of TGC's best to get here.  Very well deserved.
#width #angles

coruler2

• GroupMember
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2015, 12:44:17 PM »
I just found this contest by accident.  Played both courses because I saw others on my friends list did.  Not sure why, but I have a hard time finding threads like these on HB forums
TGC 2019 Courses:
Negev Valley (TGC2 Port of Israeli National)
The Invaders Golf Site (TGC2019 Original)
Sun Devil Ridge (TGC2 Course remastered)
Connemara Bay Golf Club (TGC2019 Original)

Steam and XB1 name:  coruler2

space-cash