Humboldt Bay Golf Club - Eureka, California (Full Course Guide inside!)

• 39 Replies

Crazycanuck1985

• GroupMember
    • TGCToursTV Twitch Channel
« on: December 29, 2015, 04:24:45 PM »
A quick detour off the Pacific Coast Highway will land yourself at Humboldt Bay Golf Club, a par 72, 7287 yard  (fictional) track just a few minutes northwest of Eureka, California. Humboldt Bay features a unique mix of coastal and inland holes that are surrounded by the beautiful Pacific Ocean, as well as the mighty coniferous trees that populate the area and of course...my usual dastardly greens. If you are ready for a one of a kind golf experience, pack up your clubs and come on out to Humboldt Bay!

Green Speed: Fast
Green Firmness: Medium

The day begins with a downhill dogleg par 4 that requires an accurate drive to a narrow fairway. From there, a short iron/wedge awaits. Anything long will be into the bay!

Club selection is crucial on this picturesque par 3. Water left, and bunkers short and right requires a dialed in mid-iron to this shallow green. Try to land it a little short of the green for best results!

This longhill par 4 is all about position. The safe drive will leave a tricky approach to a shallow green, but a left to right drive that finds the small fairway on the right leaves a much easier approach. Your call.

The longest hole at Humboldt Bay requires an accurate tee shot between the large bunkers on both sides of the fairway. From there you need to choose the correct spot for an easy uphill layup. This long hole provides on of the best chances for birdie.

Back to the coast for Hole 5. 3 Wood off the tee is the smart play here, as driver risks running through the fairway. This is not idea, as the second shot requires a long-mid iron over water into another shallow green. Best play here is to aim left of the hole.

This tight, coastal hole has the Pacific Ocean imposing its will down the entire left side of the hole. A layup off the tee is recommended (I'm sure none of you will listen to me though) as a drive can USUALLY clear the ocean.  The brave will be rewarded with a short wedge in and a good look at birdie.

Don't let the yardage fool you. Hole 7 can be a beast as it is entirely uphill. Play your drive to the right to avoid the large bunker cluster. From there, it is a tricky uphill wedge shot to a very well protected green.

Don't get sucked in by the beauty and short yardage of this par 3. Club selection is vital. Anything short will be swallowed up by the large bunker and anything long will be wet.

#9 features one of the toughest drives on the course. A very narrow fairway must be hit to avoid the three round bunkers long, and the large bunker short. Any drives too long will require a draw around the trees to get near the green. Most likely a 3-shot par 5 to a large green.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 04:27:16 PM by Crazycanuck1985 »

Crazycanuck1985

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 04:25:40 PM »

If you thought the drive on 9 was tough..10 is even more difficult. If you do hit the fairway, you will be left with a mid iron into a large green. Don't be short here.

#11 is the shortest par 4 on the course, but may be the toughest if you don't play it correctly. The wind will determine if you will be laying up with an iron or letting the big dog eat. Either way you will be left with an uphill approach into a green the slopes drastically towards the ocean.

The penultimate par 3 is the longest one on the course. A tucked pin requires a slight draw. with a fairway wood. This is not recommended. A lofted long iron/fairway wood to the center of the green may have a nice effect if you hit it in the right spot.

13 features a sharp dogleg with a large risk/reward opportunity off the tee. Cutting off as much of the corner as possible can turn this 3 shot par 5 into a 2 shot par 5. Are you going to risk it? (of course you are).

A straight-forward long par 4 that requires a mid-iron into a well protected green. The back of the green acts as a bit of a back stop. Use it for best results!

Be careful not to go through the fairway on this downhill par 4. 3 Wood might be the smart play, From there, it is an uphill approach into another well-guarded green.

The final par 5 at Humboldt Bay is the shortest, but if you want to get there in two, you need to attack a green that appears to be IN the bay that you need to stop on a dime, otherwise you are wet!

Pretty easy piece of advice here. Be smart and play to the center of the green. Don't pin hunt. What? You did anyway? Oh....

The day finishes with a dogleg mid-length par 4. Avoid the fairway bunkers and you are rewarded with a short iron into a receptive green and a good look at birdie to finish.

I hope you enjoy your round! Any and all feedback is much appreciated!

Reppdogg

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 04:34:20 PM »
(Leaves work early)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 05:32:31 PM »
Nice! I really like the look of this one buddy.
Soon as I get my rig fixed and working again I'll give it a go.
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep
Edenvale (Major and Members)

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

Crazycanuck1985

• GroupMember
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 06:12:26 PM »
Just an FYI, if you have played my courses, you know I like tough greens. These ones may just be my toughest yet. Some of you want courses to be tougher, so here you go :)

rdh

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 06:26:33 PM »
Just an FYI, if you have played my courses, you know I like tough greens. These ones may just be my toughest yet. Some of you want courses to be tougher, so here you go :)

That's fine...so long as you flatten them out for the ESSENTIAL protee version.  I'll be hoping to get time to play this tonight - looks spectacular!

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 06:53:31 PM »
The routing and sculpting we've come to expect with the best greens he's made.

See folks greens can be tough without putting the hole on the side of a ridge... just have to really work hard on them.

Well done

Courses I claim in order of how I like em

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Old Beaver Creek (With Reebdoog)
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

BoomBoom

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 07:15:36 PM »
Stellar, yet again, Stellar.

The framing of the holes and the greens being your secret is not lost on me, excellent work, amazing vistas, fantastic greens.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Bethpage State Park Black Course
Glen Abbey GC
Horned Viper GC (Gold Tees)
Thousand Islands Golf and CC

Why do i play with a female avatar? Because I would rather look at an ugly female than a pretty male.....

Reppdogg

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 10:32:31 PM »
Back 9 here is one of the most difficult nines I've played in quite some time. I came in with a 30 on the front thinking I was going to score well. That didn't happen at all. I shot a 44 on the back. Holes 11-18 had some of the toughest greens I've seen in the game, balls rolled for miles on some greens. With that being said I gave a 10, great job as always!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ariel Atom

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 05:43:03 PM »
I must say the greens here are absolutely horrific in my opinion, up there with The Legacy at Cape Point for most cartoonish. I got to the 4th hole and missed left of the pin and saw my ball roll 40 yards off the green. On the third hole if you end up above the hole, the ball will not stop for ages if it misses the cup. This was after acing the second hole, bouncing the ball right where the fairway and rough meet. The Layout is lovely but I decided to throw in the towel after 4.

Crazycanuck1985

• GroupMember
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 05:55:51 PM »
I must say the greens here are absolutely horrific in my opinion, up there with The Legacy at Cape Point for most cartoonish. I got to the 4th hole and missed left of the pin and saw my ball roll 40 yards off the green. On the third hole if you end up above the hole, the ball will not stop for ages if it misses the cup. This was after acing the second hole, bouncing the ball right where the fairway and rough meet. The Layout is lovely but I decided to throw in the towel after 4.

Sorry you didn't enjoy it. I knew going in the greens weren't going to be for everyone. They have definitely been "video gamed" up to present as more of a challenge for the better players at this game. Nice ace on 2 though, that's what you need to do on that hole.

coruler2

• GroupMember
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 10:26:27 PM »
I love me some tough Canuck greens.  Will play in about 3-5 days. 
TGC 2019 Courses:
Negev Valley (TGC2 Port of Israeli National)
The Invaders Golf Site (TGC2019 Original)
Sun Devil Ridge (TGC2 Course remastered)
Connemara Bay Golf Club (TGC2019 Original)
The Legend at Kong Island
*New* Pulseczar Vale

Steam and XB1 name:  coruler2

lyleman222

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 09:55:19 AM »
Wow amazing course! There are some really talented creators on here!

Ariel Atom

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 12:59:53 PM »

Sorry you didn't enjoy it. I knew going in the greens weren't going to be for everyone. They have definitely been "video gamed" up to present as more of a challenge for the better players at this game. Nice ace on 2 though, that's what you need to do on that hole.

Yeah, it's a good one for the Tours, but a version with some more realistic greens would be great to have available, as the rest of the course clearly deserves it.

MERACE

• golf-beta
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2015, 01:44:13 PM »

Yeah, it's a good one for the Tours, but a version with some more realistic greens would be great to have available, as the rest of the course clearly deserves it.

Being an average TGC player I agree 100%.   :)

-MERACE

space-cash