Jayflower Golf Course

• 49 Replies

JRuckles

« on: January 05, 2016, 01:10:06 AM »

Jayflower Golf Course has been published.

Set in a parkland 15 minutes from downtown, strategy and shot placement is the name of the game at this course.  Most holes offer risk / reward opportunities and allow for the player to be creative when navigating the holes.

The square plot of the course (a mere 700 by 700 YDS) is surrounded on all sides by perimeter fencing and streets, all of which are Out Of Bounds, and must be considered when playing Holes 1, 3, 11, and 17.

Jay Park Pond comes into play on Holes 3, 5, 15, and 16 and Trevor's Trench comes into play on Holes 12 and 18.

Jayflower plays on the shorter side at ~6,400 yards (Par 71) and utilizes a unique "fairway-forward" concept, where most of the plot is planted as fairway and nestled within the fairway are patches of heavy-rough-mounding.  The heavy-rough-mounds are strategically located to act as hazards and force the player to creatively attack the course.

Course Summary:
Par 71
6,440 YDS
Firm Fairways
Med Firm Greens
Med Speed Greens
Style:  Parkland and Links elements (city skyline backdrop)

I spent some time with this one in the WIP thread and talked about inspirations for this project, linked here for reference:

Jayflower GC - 500k square yard challenge
http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=13511

Please give it a play and let me know how it goes, feedback is welcome.

If it's well received, I would be open to creating additional setups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:52:42 PM by JRuckles »

Griz891

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 01:49:02 AM »
This is an absolutely fun track to play JR. I loved all the shot-shaping you have to go through just to figure out the best landing spots. Man O' Man, and the time you must have put into this course I can't even imagine. I just recently bought and Xbox controller for my PC and I'm having a time getting used to using it. It works great for designing and it is getting better for playing as I shot -2, but I'd just like to tell ya what a fantastic job you did on this course and that all your hard work is much appreciated. Excellant Job!!! ;)

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 01:53:35 AM »
I'm feelin it.

Idr1vew1teballs

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 03:02:51 AM »
Wow. If you don't like this course, you don't like this game.
Created Courses:
Farley Family Farms
High Point (5 par 3's)
St. Xavier National Golf Club

rdh

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 09:01:56 AM »
This is really cool...nice workaround for the lack of an urban backdrop!  It works very well (looks great).  I know it limits the working area for the course so it's not a full solution, but this one is really impressive to look at...has a different feel than any other course in the game due to some creative thinking.

The bonus for us simulator guys is that the smaller working area resulted in a course that's not a bad length for protee.  :)

Well done JRuckles!

JRuckles

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 10:53:24 AM »

This is an absolutely fun track to play JR. I loved all the shot-shaping you have to go through just to figure out the best landing spots. Man O' Man, and the time you must have put into this course I can't even imagine. I just recently bought and Xbox controller for my PC and I'm having a time getting used to using it. It works great for designing and it is getting better for playing as I shot -2, but I'd just like to tell ya what a fantastic job you did on this course and that all your hard work is much appreciated. Excellant Job!!! ;)

Thanks for posting your thoughts - means a lot to hear that as a designer.  I'm glad you had fun playing and hopefully you get more used to the Xbox controller, I play and design on ps4 myself.

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 12:48:37 PM »
A+ for creativity on this course.   Definitely nailed the municipal feel and it was a fun course to play.  As was mentioned in your WIP thread, the colors were not quite my favorite but that is a personal preference type of thing.

JRuckles

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 12:56:56 PM »

A+ for creativity on this course.   Definitely nailed the municipal feel and it was a fun course to play.  As was mentioned in your WIP thread, the colors were not quite my favorite but that is a personal preference type of thing.

Thanks Keith, I posted in the other thread but I'll plan on publishing a lush version relatively soon (once the city gets rid of the tight watering restrictions), so the rough can start getting watered and green up.

rolfgolf

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 05:11:53 PM »
Hi JRuckles!
Very unique course! Like every hole I played!
Cool Skyline in the backround!
Very creative idea.
Rememberes me a bit like a golfcourse I have seen on a "golfsim" in 1989 on Commodore Amiga were the big skyline is at the background.
Thanks for your great idea and work! 10/10 and faved.
Greetings Rolf

JRuckles

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 05:53:47 PM »

Hi JRuckles!
Very unique course! Like every hole I played!
Cool Skyline in the backround!
Very creative idea.
Rememberes me a bit like a golfcourse I have seen on a "golfsim" in 1989 on Commodore Amiga were the big skyline is at the background.
Thanks for your great idea and work! 10/10 and faved.
Greetings Rolf

Thanks Rolf!

JRuckles

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 07:56:39 PM »

Jayflower GC Lush Condition has been released:

I'm no Karma4u, but this gives an idea of the lush look.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 08:19:53 PM by JRuckles »

nickweis

• Go in Your Home!
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 08:36:36 PM »
Just played the lush version, and I must say I really enjoyed it.  I preffered the lush color set up, but that doesn't hold back the original version from being fantastic.  I really like when designers have a style in mind for a course and create a course that has character and identity.  You really nailed the urban style course here.

I can't really think of a any negatives for this course.  The shaping was fantastic, greens were well done, the firm conditions suit the shorter course, and trees were well placed to block off some of the "creative" ways of playing some holes.  Oh, and how could I forget, the lighting was spot on!  Very nice work.

I think it is probably a little close for comfort on a few holes if it was real life.  Hopefully memberships come with a free hard hat because I can imagine it would be quite a war zone out there on a busy Saturday afternoon.

I favourited this one, and will be back for more.
My Courses:
Red Rock National
The Links @ Inverness Point
Pine Park Lodge (9 hole)
Helena Island Estate (9 hole)
Grizzly Paw Golf Club
Killarney Golf and Country Club
The Great Northern G&CC
The Links of Isolation Island
Coyote Canyon (Original Members, Tour and now 2016 multi)
Steam/PSN: Nickweis12

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 09:26:14 PM »
Hard Hat...... LOL !!!!
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

rdh

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 09:39:59 PM »
Gonna try this tonight...the colors look much nicer.  I'd still like to see a shorter protee version if you're willing to do one.  :)

rdh

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 09:41:31 PM »
Sorry!  I just searched "jayflower" and saw the simulator edition at 6195 yards.  Thank you!

space-cash