Enhancements to follow cam...hopefully for march

• 27 Replies

rdh

« on: January 07, 2016, 09:33:25 AM »
I'd really like to see a couple tweaks (or settings in options) to the follow cam.  There are two things I don't like about it right now...#1 being the biggest one.  And by follow cam, i'm talking about the one that zooms in if you press spacebar (on PC) after hitting the shot.  These enhancements should be good for everyone, but especially on the simulator edition.

1.  I don't like ball trails.  In real life there's no ball trail.  The trouble is, without the ball trail I can't even see the ball for most of the flight on the follow cam...it's too tiny.  I'd like a setting to control how close the camera is to the ball for the follow cam...so I could move the camera closer to have the ball show up larger.  (To me, ball trails are like the glowing puck Fox tried to add to hockey broadcasts...ugh)

EDIT:  I don't actually mean the follow cam here.  I mean the cam that zooms in when you press space bar on the PC to zoom in during the ball flight.  The actual follow cam zooms in much closer to the ball and looks good...the cam you trigger manually stays too far back.

2.  I've raised this one before...  The angle/focal point of the camera needs to be tweaked.  Especially when hitting lofted iron shots, if you use the follow cam you're staring at a shot of the ball against the sky for a good portion of the flight...you have no idea what it's tracking toward.  This should be tweaked so there's a downward tilt to see what it's tracking toward...maybe a dynamic tilt that would determine the approximate landing point given the shot parameters and then constrantly adjust to focus on that point throughout the flight.  So, as the ball gets higher, the downward tilt would be more pronounced.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 07:57:16 AM by rdh »

rdh

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 10:39:13 PM »
I know HB owes us nothing and has been very good providing continued investment in the game, but it would sure be appreciated to get a comment back on a couple topics I've been asking about.  Even if it's just to say "We'll consider it but it won't happen anytime soon."  At least an acknowledgment of the suggestions/requests.

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 10:53:44 PM »
Rest assured we see every single post that gets written here on the forums.  It is a given that we consider everything even when we don't post a confirmation message.

rdh

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 11:36:54 PM »
Thanks Keith - appreciate the response.  Looking forward to some additional comments/details once the team has time.

Js1010

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 12:02:21 AM »
+1, RDH

I would also love to have some  enhancements/options to the follow cam and views as you discuss.  I don't mind the ball trail,  but agree that without the trail  the ball is difficult to see - especially on a projection screen as the Simulator users are doing.

As a simulator user, the following is one of my biggest issues: When the scout cam goes over the pin when you are closer to the pin  than the club selected.    I try and limit how much I have to walk to the computer to hit keys and having to do this is a pain.     Unless I am missing sometihng, this seems like sometihng that should just  be fixed. I can't see why anyone would want the cam to go past the pin by default.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rdh

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 11:39:46 AM »
Absolutely agree with that one!  Sounds like a 30 minute code tweak to me to add the IF statement to handle this.  Great suggestion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Faultyclubs

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 09:26:59 PM »
The ball is definitely harder to see than in real life, at least on a simulator impact screen.  Everyone seems to use ball trails of some sort to address this but I'm wondering why the ball couldn't just be scaled bigger based on view distance to keep it perceptually similar to real life.  This would have the highest fidelity to real life.

Having said that, the existing ball trail approach could be improved if there was an option for the streak to match the ball color.  Also a option to change the length.  Both of those would make the ball trails less in your face like a video game compared to real life.

rdh

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2016, 07:57:52 AM »
Just edited my first post to clarify that I meant the manually triggered zoom cam and not the actual follow cam setting.

Dusty Roads

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 10:14:10 AM »
The ball is definitely harder to see than in real life, at least on a simulator impact screen.  Everyone seems to use ball trails of some sort to address this but I'm wondering why the ball couldn't just be scaled bigger based on view distance to keep it perceptually similar to real life.  This would have the highest fidelity to real life.

Having said that, the existing ball trail approach could be improved if there was an option for the streak to match the ball color.  Also a option to change the length.  Both of those would make the ball trails less in your face like a video game compared to real life.

Saying that, the videos I have watched for PG, the ball is even smaller, so a trail is needed.

I could see no trail on a simulator though.

rdh

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 10:18:44 AM »
Yeah...it's about how close the camera is to the ball basically.  The closer the camera, the bigger the ball and the easier it is to see.  The old red chain software zoomed in much closer for the follow cam...to the point that you could see the ball logo (which you could upload yourself...a nice touch) rotating in-flight.

stan_solo

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 11:08:12 AM »
Rest assured we see every single post that gets written here on the forums. 

Every  " single " post    :o

rdh

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 11:17:42 AM »
"we see" = "Keith sees"...no clue on whether the other folks at HB do

Dusty Roads

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2016, 12:02:44 PM »
Not sure what stan's post was but rdh, you don't think Keith speaks for HB?

rdh

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 12:07:33 PM »
Sure I do.  I just think he's not involved in the development decisions or work going on behind the scenes.  He has no info on anything that will be in the update yet.  If he speaks for HB and that's the case with everyone at HB, then there isn't an update.  Someone has to know what's being worked on if an update is in fact being worked on.

Dusty Roads

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2016, 01:05:42 PM »
GAWD, just because they don't tell you every day that something has been done does not mean it isn't being done. They have no obligation to satisfy your requests for news.

space-cash