Oakmont Country Club

• 143 Replies

SCL

« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2016, 07:50:57 PM »
I don't think it's a game/controller issue.  I think it's very realistic.  In june, the best players in the world will be struggling exactly the same way to hold the greens.  They'll probably struggle to break par...so the fact that people are scoring 2, 3, 4, 5 under (with a ridiculous 59 in there) shows that the capabilities you have in the game are EASIER than real life.  I think we're just spoiled by shooting 57s on most courses as we stick approach shots within a few feet and birdie everything in sight.

Again though...i'm not really fussing over TOTAL scores. My question is more directed to HOW some of these holes play. In terms of shot selection and how well the shots are sticking onto the greens, the slope, etc...

Royce

« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2016, 08:53:56 PM »
I don't think it's a game/controller issue.  I think it's very realistic.  In june, the best players in the world will be struggling exactly the same way to hold the greens.  They'll probably struggle to break par...so the fact that people are scoring 2, 3, 4, 5 under (with a ridiculous 59 in there) shows that the capabilities you have in the game are EASIER than real life.  I think we're just spoiled by shooting 57s on most courses as we stick approach shots within a few feet and birdie everything in sight.

Again though...i'm not really fussing over TOTAL scores. My question is more directed to HOW some of these holes play. In terms of shot selection and how well the shots are sticking onto the greens, the slope, etc...

You have to keep in mind that the pro's will be longer off the tee, and instead of having to hit say a 3iron into a tough green someone like DJ way very well be hitting a 7iron with much more control.

I totally get your point though, the RCR's like Oakmont are built to true spec but we have less distance but way more accuracy, so it's sort of a wash to me.
XBL Gamertag= Royce Brown CC

TGC2 Completed Courses:
Augusta National Golf Club (members) - (voted 2017 TGC2 course of the year at TGCTours.com!)

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

SCL

« Reply #137 on: May 12, 2016, 09:32:55 PM »
I just shot my third straight -2 game. Frustrating as i was -4 after nine.

Some holes that i find just weirdly unplayable. For example, hole 15. A par 4. One is set up for a long iron on the second shot, but the green just blasts the ball. I just landed a shot well in front of the green, three bounced on the green, then proceeded to watch my ball roll to 76 feet PAST the pin. What the god damn ****? Like a 150 foot roll? On a shot that bounced three to four times in front of the green? What more can i do with a long iron to land the green? It feels unplayable with my limited skills. Is the actual course play like that?

Some other holes. On some of them, i find it more advantageous to just lay up for the 20 to 30 yard lob wedge shot, rather than try to land the green and watch it roll to far. Surely the pros, in real life, aren't playing it that way?

The above is what i am trying to direct my questions too. is the controller scheme with this game, how the game itself plays, forcing us to play this course differently from the PGA pros? Just curious.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:10:54 AM by SCL »

Colinmafia

• Maker of Enjoyable Easy to play RCR look-a-likies
« Reply #138 on: May 19, 2016, 04:42:51 PM »
Played this course today and loved it you really captured it right and it plays as difficult as the Rory version good job mate.  ;)

Jared

• Measure twice and cut once
« Reply #139 on: May 20, 2016, 12:31:01 PM »
I just shot my third straight -2 game. Frustrating as i was -4 after nine.

Some holes that i find just weirdly unplayable. For example, hole 15. A par 4. One is set up for a long iron on the second shot, but the green just blasts the ball. I just landed a shot well in front of the green, three bounced on the green, then proceeded to watch my ball roll to 76 feet PAST the pin. What the god damn ****? Like a 150 foot roll? On a shot that bounced three to four times in front of the green? What more can i do with a long iron to land the green? It feels unplayable with my limited skills. Is the actual course play like that?

Some other holes. On some of them, i find it more advantageous to just lay up for the 20 to 30 yard lob wedge shot, rather than try to land the green and watch it roll to far. Surely the pros, in real life, aren't playing it that way?

The above is what i am trying to direct my questions too. is the controller scheme with this game, how the game itself plays, forcing us to play this course differently from the PGA pros? Just curious.

The ball physics are forcing us to the this course differently.

The golf ball doesn't behave IRL the way it does in game.

The medium settings are a bit more realistic, but even then the rollout on approach shots is ridiculous.  This is in no way the fault of the designer.  The course itself is spot on, it just exists in a different universe with different laws of physics.

As far as the US Open version goes, that one is designed for the TGC tournament and the best players in the game.  It is maddeningly difficult by design, as it should be.
My Courses:

Guid Donner
The Club at Horseshoe Lake
The Club@Horseshoe Lake Members

BoomBoom

« Reply #140 on: May 20, 2016, 03:06:12 PM »
I'm going to complain about the complainers of the physics, LOL

Why is I see only complainers about how far the ball rolls but not how accurate we are. I real life even the pros may be sticking their landing but the are spraying the ball every where. Its a wash here as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather the accuracy with the roll, than the spraying with the sticking.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Bethpage State Park Black Course
Glen Abbey GC
Horned Viper GC (Gold Tees)
Thousand Islands Golf and CC

Why do i play with a female avatar? Because I would rather look at an ugly female than a pretty male.....

theclv24

« Reply #141 on: May 20, 2016, 03:25:50 PM »
I do think we tend to relate how TGC physics should be to how the pros play. I know that even non-pros can get more spin than you do in TGC, but I think most people want to play in the game like a pro does in real life.

To me other than modifying any spin physics, it would be incredibly helpful if we could adjust fairway running speed. It's totally hypothetical, but I think a setting of medium to low fairway firmness and very fast speeds would allow for a more realistic ground game. The fact that you can't really run shots into a green is a huge factor to me, maybe the biggest downfall in TGC. It leads to poor course designs in a time in the real world where wide, firm, and fast are making huge gains at places like Bandon, Sand Hills, etc.

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #142 on: May 21, 2016, 01:53:30 AM »
Yep, sometimes it wold be nice if the game would align more with real life golf. But we only "complain" about this because it is as good as it is already. Would love to see "modern" courses and links play properly.

Gradual and disconnected firmness and speed sliders for all surfaces and different grass types and rough lenghts would be a huge step forward.

Just adding more spin control would lead to a tiger woods type game where -20 would be par for Oakmont unfortunately unless putting was raised accordingly. So hard to get it right.

That RCRs play as well as they do is a testament to the game... 

Thrangar

« Reply #143 on: May 21, 2016, 11:44:37 AM »
Go play the "ridiculous golf course" and you will see how far off and I mean far off the math/physics are for this game

No ball how ever hard hit and by laws of gravity can attain a speed and spin  that would allow the ball to clime up a 40/50 ft wall

I have always wondered just how accurate the math was, now I know its all smoke and mirrors, still Its good enough for me to say this the most enjoyable golf game I have ever owned
Proud Member of the sub par club at McKee McGrodo (black Widow)

space-cash