Oakmont Country Club

• 143 Replies

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2016, 09:21:53 AM »
The Church Pew bunkers are probably one of the most iconic bunkers in all of golf.

http://ericjohnsongolf.com/few-have-a-prayer-after-finding-the-church-pews/

TaS

• GroupMember
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2016, 09:51:51 AM »
I wonder if they did that for maintenance purposes.

Jared

• Measure twice and cut once
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2016, 10:08:15 AM »
From what I've read the mini pews were added before the 53 US Open in the general form of the top picture.  The were then converted to what looks like the bottom picture sometime in the 60s.  They looked that way at the '94 open, and then sometime after that were converted back to mini pews.  I was unaware that this change was coming, but I've really lost touch with the club since I had to get a "real" job and haven't caddied there in over 10 years. 

So it looks like they went from pews to fingers to pews and now back to fingers.  I assume they will be deeper the further left you go.  There is a rise there between that bunker and the front tees for the 18th hole.

My Courses:

Guid Donner
The Club at Horseshoe Lake
The Club@Horseshoe Lake Members

theclv24

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2016, 11:05:33 AM »
It looks like a hybrid of the old style of fingers from 2004-ish, and the full pews look from 2014:

The iconic pews between 3 and 4, on the other hand, are bigger than ever. Here is 2004:

And 2015:

Jared

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2016, 11:23:58 AM »
Yep.  They've definitely added two pews to the each end of the original design.   Those things are brutal, especially when you get up against the grass.  No stance, even going out sideways is a challenge.
My Courses:

Guid Donner

Drgnslyr221

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2016, 03:17:24 PM »
I have never played a course with church pews nor have I ever been in one, but they give me nightmares, lol.

JOE golfer G

• 4 Handicap Golfer
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 05:48:49 PM »
Highly anticipated course

Bubba22

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2016, 12:36:11 AM »
If this gets done in time, we will be using it for this summers US Open your stop.

Royce

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 05:39:50 PM »
Looks like Oakmont is going to be the next course in Rory.  No doubt theclev's will be superior.
XBL Gamertag= Royce Brown CC

TGC2 Completed Courses:
Augusta National Golf Club (members) - (voted 2017 TGC2 course of the year at TGCTours.com!)

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

theclv24

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2016, 09:42:40 PM »
Looks like Oakmont is going to be the next course in Rory.  No doubt theclev's will be superior.

I don't know about superior... but we will see who has the fastest greens!

This is big news, though. I was hoping it would be out before I started on elevations. It should be a great resource to go along with WGT. If Stracka would happen to put up Oakmont as well, the only thing that would be missing is an accurate clubhouse.

theclv24

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2016, 12:05:59 PM »
Rather than post it again, here is some progress on Oakmont: http://clvgolf.com/works-in-progress

I'm almost out of the measuring stage and into the more exciting part. As I said, just waiting on Rory to drop their version so I have the full spectrum of resources to work from.

Royce

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2016, 12:46:14 PM »
Rather than post it again, here is some progress on Oakmont: http://clvgolf.com/works-in-progress

I'm almost out of the measuring stage and into the more exciting part. As I said, just waiting on Rory to drop their version so I have the full spectrum of resources to work from.

Wow, looks incredible, love the last pic showing the view from high up showing the elevations. 
XBL Gamertag= Royce Brown CC

TGC2 Completed Courses:
Augusta National Golf Club (members) - (voted 2017 TGC2 course of the year at TGCTours.com!)

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

Jared

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 11:14:47 AM »
Craig, I know the colors for the clubhouse don't match, but you really nailed the feel anyway. 

The buildings out by Hulton Rd (right of #1) and especially the proshop and shed near 18 green, the two places I spent most of my time, are spot on. 

That last pic really nails Pittsburgh's topography, especially so near the rivers.  Thanks again, this is going to be amazing.
My Courses:

Guid Donner

theclv24

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2016, 01:23:43 PM »
Craig, I know the colors for the clubhouse don't match, but you really nailed the feel anyway. 

The buildings out by Hulton Rd (right of #1) and especially the proshop and shed near 18 green, the two places I spent most of my time, are spot on. 

That last pic really nails Pittsburgh's topography, especially so near the rivers.  Thanks again, this is going to be amazing.

Thanks Jared!

I've been comparing the elevations on WGT with the elevations in Google Earth and it appears they are nearly identical in most places. I've looked at my fair share of courses in Google Earth, and some are accurate down to the bunker, while others are not. It appears to be very accurate for Oakmont, so I am incredibly grateful for that. Add in the lack of water on the course, and there aren't too many obstacles to overcome.

The only obstacle I have had to deal with so far is that the plot around buildings will always auto-flatten for a predetermined perimeter around the building. This has created a conflict with the first tee, even after moving the clubhouse in towards the 9th green a few yards. The result is that the first tee will be about 5 feet higher than in real life. If this is the only sacrifice that I have to make (other than the lack of overpasses across the Turnpike) then I will be very happy.

Jared

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2016, 01:30:17 PM »
Totally agree, that's a small price to pay.

FWIW, there is a version on TW 10 that I played on PS3 all the time.  Might be helpful, if only for the greens.
My Courses:

Guid Donner

space-cash