The Tarantula Golf Club

• 61 Replies

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 09:16:04 PM »
Looks like you missed my point.
Europe: 3-7 cm = semi rough (1st cut), up to 15 cm = semi rough (2nd cut), both mowed regularly, rough = heavy rough -> any higth mowed 1 or 2 times a year if at all.
US: 3-7 cm = rough (= EU semi 1st cut),  up to 15 cm = rough (=EU semi 2nd cut), heavy rough = EU rough.
Typically, if some US player talks about rough he means what we call semi-rough here and if European guys talk about rough they talk about what you call heavy rough or wilderness. In the end its just a question of definition and does not have any effect to your game. But it is a very common source of missunderstandings.  ;)

What you use as terminology is fine - nobody in the USA cares.

ANY grass that isn't fairway is rough here - period.  We don't need you defining it for us we're fine on our own :)

I promise you we have PLENTY difficult golf courses here with several different lengths of grass.

The bottom line is your take on this has nothing to do with anyone's course

Courses I claim in order of how I like em

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Old Beaver Creek (With Reebdoog)
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

ErnieTheWels

• GroupMember
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 09:24:40 PM »
Good job Keith.
My major critic (as usual): 1st cut. If you check Wicki (german) for what rough means and then compare with the description in English you see where the difference is.  ;)

Could you please stop doing this - MANY golf courses have a first cut and in our part of the world it's common. 

Missing a fairway by 2 inches and having a buried lie isn't a great place to be by any means.

You are basically saying "I don't personally like this so therefore you're wrong".  It's a preference

I promise you if you teed it up at my golf course you'd be hoping and praying for a little help just off the fairway :)
sorry adx, you seem to absolutely missunderstood Ursina , he said that there could be more semirough for equalizing the narrow fairways.
my rig : amd phenom II black edition quadcore 3.4 GHz -8 GByte ram - Nvidia 660 GTX

ErnieTheWels

• GroupMember
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 09:26:16 PM »
Looks like you missed my point.
Europe: 3-7 cm = semi rough (1st cut), up to 15 cm = semi rough (2nd cut), both mowed regularly, rough = heavy rough -> any higth mowed 1 or 2 times a year if at all.
US: 3-7 cm = rough (= EU semi 1st cut),  up to 15 cm = rough (=EU semi 2nd cut), heavy rough = EU rough.
Typically, if some US player talks about rough he means what we call semi-rough here and if European guys talk about rough they talk about what you call heavy rough or wilderness. In the end its just a question of definition and does not have any effect to your game. But it is a very common source of missunderstandings.  ;)

What you use as terminology is fine - nobody in the USA cares.

ANY grass that isn't fairway is rough here - period.  We don't need you defining it for us we're fine on our own :)

I promise you we have PLENTY difficult golf courses here with several different lengths of grass.

The bottom line is your take on this has nothing to do with anyone's course

no need to get personal, every1 has the right to tell his opinion, but stay fair.
my rig : amd phenom II black edition quadcore 3.4 GHz -8 GByte ram - Nvidia 660 GTX

BoomBoom

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 09:58:49 PM »
In any event the last update, they took away the escape key backing out of the menus so the light rough could then be applied without moving the mouse. You have seen the last of light rough from me.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Bethpage State Park Black Course
Glen Abbey GC
Horned Viper GC (Gold Tees)
Thousand Islands Golf and CC

Why do i play with a female avatar? Because I would rather look at an ugly female than a pretty male.....

rdh

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 10:03:26 PM »
(This thread has really gotten sidetracked but...)

I hate to hear people opting for heavy rough all around instead of light rough.  As a simulator player, the heavy rough sucks...it adds a couple clubs and then there's a bit more of a random effect.  The light rough is fair...add a club and generally you're okay.  From a playability standpoint on simulators i'd much rather see light rough everywhere...and maybe heavy rough if you really hit an offline shot.  Oh well...what will be is what will be.

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 11:42:56 PM »
but the first cut is actually serving another purpose and anyone that's been around a grounds crew knows what it is

It's the finish cut - and it's done LAST after the fairway has been mowed to help hide the turn marks of the tires on the fairway mowers.

That said - enough sidetracking back to this course

I apologize for my part in the sidetrack

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 05:20:32 AM »
I freaking hate spiders but I loved this course.

Found the first cut a few times :P but really enjoyed my round.  Excellent course Keith.  Some of the holes on the back had really stunning views from the tee.

Greens were nice and tricky.  Couldn't make a putt.  Challenging tee shots, risk reward, it's all there. 

Keep up the good work!

Jimgem

• GroupMember
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 05:44:00 AM »
Not been too many realy nice desert courses for a while, but this one i thought was great' realy enjoyed the round  :)

https://youtu.be/DOC146iR4Uc
i7 4790k 4.40Ghz
MSI GTX 1080ti
H100i (AIO)
MSI GD65 gaming m-board
16Gb Corsair Vengeance Ram
Corsair Scimitar Mouse
Xbox 360 Controller
Corsair K70 Lux RGB keyboard
Youtube TGC 2019 playlist- https://goo.gl/P2Xdxc

Ram DCFC

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 07:17:48 AM »
A very nice course,really enjoyed it. Thanks for creating.

ssa1950

• rascal607
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 08:18:01 AM »
Great course Keith, truly enjoyed playing this one.

Sent from my SGH-T399N using Tapatalk

Thrangar

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2016, 08:25:13 AM »
Hated it, gave it a 3/10 and only because plantings were below ridiculous levels and green speed and firmness were appropriate

The rest of it has a bad case of TGC tour design disease , from fairway roll offs to amount of ridiculous green slope to pin placement.

Looks like you have gone to the dark side, and another of my watched designers has bit the dust.
Proud Member of the sub par club at McKee McGrodo (black Widow)

XGN_DerpyBurger

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2016, 10:45:02 AM »
Hated it, gave it a 3/10 and only because plantings were below ridiculous levels and green speed and firmness were appropriate

The rest of it has a bad case of TGC tour design disease , from fairway roll offs to amount of ridiculous green slope to pin placement.

Looks like you have gone to the dark side, and another of my watched designers has bit the dust.
So what you're saying is he can't make his course a bit hard? The green slope is perfectly appropriate with how soft it is. The approach shots barely go anywhere unless if it hits one of the slopes. I know of a few courses with slopes like that, even that close to the hole.

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2016, 10:49:04 AM »

So what you're saying is he can't make his course a bit hard? The green slope is perfectly appropriate with how soft it is. The approach shots barely go anywhere unless if it hits one of the slopes. I know of a few courses with slopes like that, even that close to the hole.

I think he's frustrated with the TGC Tours effect on designs and this one definitely shows some of those symptoms mostly in fairway width. 

I think the course is ok despite it being a tough theme to make look good but there are some fairways that aren't remotely realistic from a width standpoint.  I can't measure them obviously but if something gets under 20 yards... it's not realistic.

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

XGN_DerpyBurger

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2016, 10:58:09 AM »

I think he's frustrated with the TGC Tours effect on designs and this one definitely shows some of those symptoms mostly in fairway width. 

I think the course is ok despite it being a tough theme to make look good but there are some fairways that aren't remotely realistic from a width standpoint.  I can't measure them obviously but if something gets under 20 yards... it's not realistic.
That's just the tendencies of this game, which is why there is a lot of call for a more challenging swing. More varience, etc. These fairways are much thinner than I would ever make them. But that doesn't mean it couldn't happen. He makes up for it with a large 1st cut.

Jimgem

• GroupMember
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2016, 11:11:52 AM »

One of the reasons i stopped playing the tours was due to the course decissions and that they seemed to be going through a particular trend which was pinched fairways and firm settings on greens which was totaly unrealistic to me,but i didn't feel this way at all playing this course.Maybe because i had mild winds and kept it on the fairways for most of the time.Plus i thought the greens where fine to putt on'nothing too extreme that i found.But everyone is entitled to an opinion which is fair enough..
i7 4790k 4.40Ghz
MSI GTX 1080ti
H100i (AIO)
MSI GD65 gaming m-board
16Gb Corsair Vengeance Ram
Corsair Scimitar Mouse
Xbox 360 Controller
Corsair K70 Lux RGB keyboard
Youtube TGC 2019 playlist- https://goo.gl/P2Xdxc

space-cash