The Tarantula Golf Club

• 61 Replies

Elz_41

• GroupMember
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2016, 11:27:04 AM »
Hated it, gave it a 3/10 and only because plantings were below ridiculous levels and green speed and firmness were appropriate

The rest of it has a bad case of TGC tour design disease , from fairway roll offs to amount of ridiculous green slope to pin placement.

Looks like you have gone to the dark side, and another of my watched designers has bit the dust.

One of the reasons i stopped playing the tours was due to the course decissions and that they seemed to be going through a particular trend which was pinched fairways and firm settings on greens which was totaly unrealistic to me,but i didn't feel this way at all playing this course.Maybe because i had mild winds and kept it on the fairways for most of the time.Plus i thought the greens where fine to putt on'nothing too extreme that i found.But everyone is entitled to an opinion which is fair enough..

I think this was mainly because there are some players that are so good that they just rip apart easier courses. With TGC Tours set up the way it is, the courses they select for their hardest tour can't be seen to have -14 scores every round, and - bearing in mind this is a video game and not real life - tightening light rough and making the greens a little speedy was a decent way to do it.

I know personally that I don't mind people scoring low on my courses, but can also see that it's frustrating designing a course thats meant to be tough that gets ripped after after an hour of release.
Co-Host of TGCTLive! www.twitch.tv/tgctlive

theclv24

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2016, 11:30:51 AM »
Hated it, gave it a 3/10 and only because plantings were below ridiculous levels and green speed and firmness were appropriate

The rest of it has a bad case of TGC tour design disease , from fairway roll offs to amount of ridiculous green slope to pin placement.

Looks like you have gone to the dark side, and another of my watched designers has bit the dust.

This seems like an overreaction, and a poor reason to prematurely disregard all future courses from a designer.

Designers have the right to make hard courses, easy courses, and everything in between, and just because Keith chooses to make one hard course doesn't mean that his next course won't be your favorite in the game.

johneric8

• GroupMember
  • Been here since the beginning!
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2016, 11:54:19 AM »
Beautiful and fun course Keith.  The texture swapping did you proud here.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

My Courses:
Nitro 9 Bedrock
Devils Rain (updated)
Throat of Saint Blaise V.1
Our Lady Of Guadalupe V 0.9
Texoma's 9 Hole On The Green
Opulent Peaks CC
Margaret Thatchers Fields Of Pleasure (joke course)

ADX321

• GroupMember
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2016, 11:59:25 AM »

One of the reasons i stopped playing the tours was due to the course decissions and that they seemed to be going through a particular trend which was pinched fairways and firm settings on greens which was totaly unrealistic to me,but i didn't feel this way at all playing this course.Maybe because i had mild winds and kept it on the fairways for most of the time.Plus i thought the greens where fine to putt on'nothing too extreme that i found.But everyone is entitled to an opinion which is fair enough..

I think this was mainly because there are some players that are so good that they just rip apart easier courses. With TGC Tours set up the way it is, the courses they select for their hardest tour can't be seen to have -14 scores every round, and - bearing in mind this is a video game and not real life - tightening light rough and making the greens a little speedy was a decent way to do it.

I know personally that I don't mind people scoring low on my courses, but can also see that it's frustrating designing a course thats meant to be tough that gets ripped after after an hour of release.

But chasing that is a fools errand because courses will always get torn up by the good players.

If anyone is trying to compare scores to the TGC PGA Tour and the real PGA tour they shouldn't be.  This is a video game I'd sure as heck HOPE people can go lower sitting in their P.J's

TGCT has had an awesome effect on players - and a horrible effect on courses

Poor Keith lol... he just wanted to release a course.

I'M SORRY KEITH - IT'S A GOOD DISCUSSION THO :) 

Every "view" in a course thread is a good thing from how I see it :)

Courses I claim in order of how I like em

Pacific Bluffs Golf Club
Soggy Bottom Golf Club
Old Beaver Creek (With Reebdoog)
Deliverance Golf Club
Semmock Golf Club
Oak National
Hanging Tree
Potrornak Links

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2016, 12:00:33 PM »
Definitely appreciate all the feedback on the course so far!  Everyone is entitled to their opinion of the course so it's all good.

I have only ever built one course with TGCTours in mind and that was Hunter Forest.  That was built for their US Open contest with specific instructions.  I always try to keep in mind that I am building HB Official courses so I try not to build courses that are going to turn off newer or lesser skilled players.  It is quite the challenge though to build something that is fair and fun for every single player.

My goal for Tarantula was to make a course that was a little more challenging but still keep it playable.  I cannot control the wind so I am not going to build 50 yard wide fairways in case there is the rare occasion the course has a 18-20 mph wind.  Speaking of the wind, I did try to make a course that had the potential to play very different based on wind direction.  There are alot of snaking fairways and that was done to allow for wind to determine whether you can use it to carry bunkers and find different parts of the fairways based on that wind.

I tried to keep my fairway widths in the 20-25 yard range.   I'm sure there are some that are bigger and there might even be one or two that are less in certain spots.  I just eyeball them most times, I do not use the distance tool for every single fairway.  I usually only use it when the fairway looks too small or too wide.  Otherwise I will open up the brush and do a quick comparison with a previous fairway to keep it in the same general width.

McBogga

• GroupMember
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2016, 12:18:49 PM »

So what you're saying is he can't make his course a bit hard? The green slope is perfectly appropriate with how soft it is. The approach shots barely go anywhere unless if it hits one of the slopes. I know of a few courses with slopes like that, even that close to the hole.

I think he's frustrated with the TGC Tours effect on designs and this one definitely shows some of those symptoms mostly in fairway width. 

I think the course is ok despite it being a tough theme to make look good but there are some fairways that aren't remotely realistic from a width standpoint.  I can't measure them obviously but if something gets under 20 yards... it's not realistic.

20 yards is pretty much standard fare or somewhat wide here in Japan - so not realistic might be a bit of an overstatement. Not enjoyable - maybe - but fully realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drivert

• GroupMember
  • XBOX GT is mariner175
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2016, 12:23:01 PM »
This is a wonderful course and I know for a fact it was planted to the max of what the desert theme will allow. Keep them coming Keith.

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2016, 12:26:34 PM »
This is a wonderful course and I know for a fact it was planted to the max of what the desert theme will allow. Keep them coming Keith.

Thanks!   That is correct, the planting meter was fully maxed out.  I did not get a message saying so but I literally could not see any space between the red bar and the end of the meter.

coruler2

• GroupMember
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2016, 01:15:34 PM »
This is the way good desert courses actually look and feel.  Not the old washed out textures.  Great Scottsdale courses have the darkest of darkest green grass in the winter
TGC 2019 Courses:
Negev Valley (TGC2 Port of Israeli National)
The Invaders Golf Site (TGC2019 Original)
Sun Devil Ridge (TGC2 Course remastered)
Connemara Bay Golf Club (TGC2019 Original)

Steam and XB1 name:  coruler2

Crazycanuck1985

• GroupMember
    • TGCToursTV Twitch Channel
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2016, 01:16:03 PM »
Looks outstanding, Keith. I only had time to play the first three holes a couple nights ago. Will finish tonight. You have really kicked it up a few notches in your design lately. I guess getting to stay home and get paid to play and design all day probably helps (not jealous at all  ;) )

HB_KeithC

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2016, 01:24:11 PM »
Looks outstanding, Keith. I only had time to play the first three holes a couple nights ago. Will finish tonight. You have really kicked it up a few notches in your design lately. I guess getting to stay home and get paid to play and design all day probably helps (not jealous at all  ;) )

You actually played one of my courses?  Are you feeling ok?   ;D  I guess technically it isn't an HB Official course so you are getting off on a technicality!   Of course I am just joking, thanks for giving it a start.  Maybe you will finish it sometime soon?  Maybe tomorrow?   ;)

Crazycanuck1985

• GroupMember
    • TGCToursTV Twitch Channel
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2016, 01:27:50 PM »

You actually played one of my courses?  Are you feeling ok?   ;D  I guess technically it isn't an HB Official course so you are getting off on a technicality!   Of course I am just joking, thanks for giving it a start.  Maybe you will finish it sometime soon?  Maybe tomorrow?   ;)

Haha, I knew you were going to say that. I'll be finishing it tonight or tomorrow for sure.

scobb1972

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2016, 01:50:19 PM »
I liked the course, Keith. Eileen tried playing it, got thru 7 holes and wanted to play something else. Saw scarpacci online streaming and he asked if I had played it. We played it. Thank you hole #9, the par 5. Dropped it in from 255 for the Albatross. Got it an automatic 10 and a favorite for me.

Mellow_Swe

• GroupMember
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2016, 02:57:56 PM »
Great course, both the layout and the eye-candy was very good.
I especially liked how almost every tee shot made me think twice and not just whack away.
Thought the slope on the greens was just right and a good mix of long and short holes.
A 10 for me!

hockeyisland

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2016, 07:12:07 PM »
An absolute beauty, hard fairways, but makes for a challenge. Greens were nice. Overall a great course, 10/10, and a favorite!
- Hockey Island

Courses:
Volcano Island (WIP)
Golden Gate Golf Links (WIP)
Maple Valley (Completed)

space-cash