Made a dbl eagle - replay did NOT show it!

• 7 Replies

Razor

« on: January 12, 2016, 05:44:45 AM »
I made a double eagle on a par 5, I wanted to record the shot so I did the replay and it DID not show it going in the hole - it was close, but did not drop! I rechecked the scorecard and it showed my dbl eagle score. I kept playing the replay (moving backwards and forwards for the shot) and it FINALLY showed the dble eagle? I replayed it again, and it showed it missing the shot again. It appears that there is a problem with the replay option.

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 10:23:21 PM »
Ouch !!!  That really sucks.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 07:22:52 PM »
This is a VERY common 'bug' that HB has been well aware of for a year.   Why there has been no fix? I have no idea.

When a shot is played/saved, it doesn't save the entire shot but just the elements of the shot, wind, hardness of green, club head speed, ect.  Very minute things like how the ball lands, if the wind changes during the shot, whether a spider is crushed by the ball, these are not saved and thus the shot can be slightly different.  Until HB decides either that:

1. saved shots can be stored FULLY on a players machine (pc) I guess will only be able to have this or soem limited fashion on the console or USB  or
2. saves the whole shot on their server from start to finish (which takes up more memory) but they could put a limit of number of shots saved.

I don't see this being fixed.

Mulligan

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 07:43:38 PM »
I reported it May 13 2014, so you can bet it's never going to get fixed.

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=2288.msg22249#msg22249

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 04:57:40 PM »
I reported it May 13 2014, so you can bet it's never going to get fixed.

http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=2288.msg22249#msg22249

Sadly it isn't going to get fixed period, i believe.  The only way to fix it would be to save the entire shot of every shot in the game.  The memory required to do that and the servers required to store that information would be HUGE and a lot more than HB is willing/able to spend. If it were EA or some place with millions upon millions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of players, it would be different.

Right now when a replay or even a shot is on another screen only the information about the shot is stored.  It is then 'recreated' on the other player's screen or in the replay where rounding and other minute calculations can change slightly.  That takes up a lot less memory than to capture the entire shot from start to finish and store it.

Razor

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 12:17:24 AM »
I understand the technical difficulties, has HB ever stated that this was the problem, or have they chosen to remain silent?

Mulligan

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 12:32:25 AM »
rounding and other minute calculations

These are nothing more than coding errors/bugs. Saving shots and rounds should be standard fare for golf games, the info needed is 95% mathematical. FPS games can save 20 players moving around and shooting machine guns into easily managed files as far as size. Golf should be trivial compared to that.

I'm talking saved game output here, not storing the shots or rounds as video.

Brighttail

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 04:42:56 PM »
rounding and other minute calculations

These are nothing more than coding errors/bugs. Saving shots and rounds should be standard fare for golf games, the info needed is 95% mathematical. FPS games can save 20 players moving around and shooting machine guns into easily managed files as far as size. Golf should be trivial compared to that.

I'm talking saved game output here, not storing the shots or rounds as video.

HB says they do save all that mathematical information, but apparently even your own GPU can round differently from one shot to replay with the same information coming in.  Supposedly.  that or the conditions just change every so slightly the wind is no longer 5.4 mph but is 5.48

space-cash