Wolfthorn Grove

• 14 Replies

tastegw

• GroupMember
  • only on tuesdays
« on: January 15, 2016, 08:21:10 AM »

Going for a realistic playing country club style course.

i have deleted all my other course files that were not published,  this is the only one i have now.

my goals for this course:

-look as realistic as possible
-play as realistic as possible
-polish everything

i started the course with a flat canvas (not blank, as i do use the auto gen vegetations when i can get away with it to help keep course file size down) and I will be building it up as i go along, doing this course 1 hole at a time, just like old times.

Theme: Rustic
Par: 70-72, most likely 72
Distance from tips: 7,000-7,200

progress thus far:

and getting down and dirty with some fine detail work that will be going unnoticed by the guys concentrating the most.

i will be giving this course my best effort.

though, it will not play hard, nor easy,  but comfortably in a comfort zone.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 07:09:07 PM by tastegw »
i will....

JRuckles

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 08:40:43 AM »
I think it has a good look going for it - well done.

All that polish time will definitely make it a great track and will give it more character.

JELindholm

• John Lindholm Books
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 08:49:59 AM »
Looks awesome!  That house and driveway is fantastic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ballgame23
Designer of
Friar's Head GC (LiDAR)

ks-man

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 11:38:30 AM »
Very impressive.  One question though.  How did that trailer get next to the house in the last picture.  Looks like a really tight squeeze without driving over the rocks and plants.  Wouldn't want to see the landscaping bill if it ever has to be moved....

karma4u

• GroupMember
  • I know a little german
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 01:48:12 AM »
Very impressive.  One question though.  How did that trailer get next to the house in the last picture.  Looks like a really tight squeeze without driving over the rocks and plants.  Wouldn't want to see the landscaping bill if it ever has to be moved....

Since it's a motor home my first thought was that it was backed in through a gate in that fence..I dunno, could be wrong but seems very realistic to me....

tastegw

• GroupMember
  • only on tuesdays
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 08:25:52 AM »

and a logo to boot.

i will....

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 10:51:49 AM »
This project looks like pure genius so far. A masterpiece in the making for sure.  Great idea doing the housing tract first so as to budget your object meter.  So often I leave that to last and then have to either forget it or deal with the crashes, looks so realistic right up alongside your beatific hole.  I also like the marsh look on the water feature.  I've been playing around with that concept myself.  I does look so much more realistic along shorelines.  Keep us posted on your project !!!
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

tastegw

• GroupMember
  • only on tuesdays
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 05:25:43 PM »
A 3 hole version is ready for play. "Wolfthorn Grove 3H"
i will....

set my path

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 07:01:38 PM »
Just played through it, looks and plays beautifully! Your texture colors are spot on, and the attention to detail is very inspiring and stressing me out ;)
My latest courses:
Panamint Park
The Pyratone Club
The Whitefang
NGLA - The National
Idanha Ridge Golf Club
Kipahulu Reserve

Crazycanuck1985

• GroupMember
    • TGCToursTV Twitch Channel
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 07:41:22 PM »
Well done, a great start. Loved the green complexes and bunkering.

rolfgolf

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 02:33:51 PM »
Played the first 3 holes.
Great course, fun and chalenging and realistic look.
Like all the textures your used and the colorbalance between them!
Hope you will once complete it to 9 or 18 holes......

Rolf

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 06:13:34 PM »
My review from the 3 Hole Showcase Contest: Series 1 Tour 1. Don't forget to vote for your favourite!

Before I start, taste set out with the mission to 'polish everything'. With that in mind it only seems fair to really scrutinise the work. I didn't regret doing so!

The first of the showcase holes is a very long 499 yard par 4. It is beautifully tree lined and the textures are used expertly to really make the fairways stand out without being overdone. Just off the left there is a short row of houses which shows the effort put into the smaller details. In terms of hole design, the fairway is realistic in width, yet the hole length will have you skirting the bunker on the inside of the bend. A fairly simple but elegant green with a protective bunker short is not too tough but certainly no push over.

As good as the houses are on the first hole, the quality really shines through on the long par 3 second of the showcase holes for me, primarily with the pond area on the left. So many designers attention stops once the ground drops below the water surface, however, depending on the angle, you can often see horrible tool marks below the surface. Not so here, every inch is perfect and has been smoothed even under water, well planted and has a very natural look. But look away from the water you can see sculpting around tree bases, natural looking paths and other touches. It's a fairly plain hole, but just excellently done.

The 3 holes winds up with another stunning tee shot on a mid length par 5. Unless you have a very favourable wind you will have to find the left side of the fairway with a strong draw. I managed this second play through and reached the green. It's not a safe play with trees and water in play. The green is well protected by sand and is blind (unless of course you have a handy approach camera). I don't see a blind shot as a bad thing unless overdone throughout the course, it works well here.

Overall, if this is representative of the whole course then expect this to be very high up on many peoples list. I struggle to be able to criticise it at all.
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 02:14:01 PM »
I hope this one is still happening... love what I've seen so far :)
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

tastegw

• GroupMember
  • only on tuesdays
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 11:17:47 PM »
I hope this one is still happening... love what I've seen so far :)
yes, I will hop on it soon
i will....

tastegw

• GroupMember
  • only on tuesdays
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 06:45:11 AM »
getting on this in about 5 minutes,  going to live stream my work,  will be working for about an hour or 2, 

link to my stream:  https://gaming.youtube.com/user/tastegw/live

gotta get a smoke in first.

edit:

did not quite make it an hour before shutting it down ;/

link in case you missed the stream:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x8KKQZlvHo
(edit:  it needs to process first  )
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 08:37:54 AM by tastegw »
i will....

space-cash