Maple Valley Golf & Country Club

• 19 Replies

hockeyisland

« on: January 17, 2016, 09:40:14 PM »
Welcome! Presenting you my first course,  Maple Valley Golf & Country Club.

This is a 9 hole course because I exceeded the number of objects placed.

This is a course with lots and lots of trees. Beautiful vibrant colors. You will certainly enjoy your round. Lots of planting. A cart path running throughout all the holes. To me, this is an easy course and trust me, i’m not good. Most people will shoot around -8,-9, but it will be an enjoyable round. When I design my courses, I usually go for a more realistic course and not so tight fairways. In real life this course may be a little bit of a challenge, but in this game is certainly is not. But don’t get me wrong, it will be an enjoyable round.

So heres the deal:

About 3450 yds.

5 sets of tees, Black, gold, blue, white, red.

I RECOMMEND TO PLAY THE GOLD TEES BASED OFF THE YARDAGES THEY GIVE YOU IN THE GAME.

The greens are slow because I did not want to kill the player with fast greens. Different versions will include fast greens.

I will be publishing more versions:

A winter version for all tees.
Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for all tees.

Green speed will change based on the day.

The course that is published so far is the Thursday pin selection. More will come.

Search:
maple valley and select maple valley golf & country club (gold tees), (thursday), (TGC)

A course guide will be up soon, but for now, here are a few quick pics:

- Hockey Island

« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 08:30:43 PM by hockeyisland »
- Hockey Island

Courses:
Volcano Island (WIP)
Golden Gate Golf Links (WIP)
Maple Valley (Completed)

hockeyisland

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 10:01:07 PM »
Course guide -

Hole 1:

I could not get a very good picture, but this is what I got. Your day will open up with a nice view off the clubhouse just across the pond. A very unique hole with towering trees to the left and a small stream way right. An easy tee shot with a average difficulty approach. The shade from the trees blocks off most of the green, but the green is still fairly easy.

Hole 2:

This one of my favorite holes as there are multiple options off the tee. A slightly downhill long par 4 measuring at over 480 yards. There are two fairways with water boarding both of them. If the wind is helping, try to drive the second fairway over water and have a much shorter , if the wind is against, layup.

Hole 3:

A very nice medium length par 3. A two tiered green, but a fairly easy one. Very nice views on this cross pond par 3. SHould be an easy birdie hole if it is not the sunday version.

Hole 4:

Unique to the fourth hole is its bridge cart path. This cart path will give the golfer very nice views of the river to the left. Hook your tee shot, you might find the some water. Overall an easy hole with a wide fairway. The one and only waste bunker comes into play in this hole. Some gardening to the right off the tee. The green is small, but not much guarding it.

Hole 5:

One of the harder holes on the course, the first par 5 of the day. There is a stream that cuts the fairway in half, but does not really come into play. Unique to this hole is the black tees which is located behind the stream. Bunkers coming into play left of tee and short left of green. This is not a very good picture, but this is all I got:

Hole 6:

The one and only drivable hole! A beautiful par 4! Your tee shot is another risk reward shot. You can choose between the highly countered fairway or trying to drive the green. I suggest to go for it when the wind is up and layup when the wind is against. A nice hole with a cool bridge crossing over the inlet of water. A personal favorite.

Hole 7:

The last par 5 of the day is a hard one. Bunkers coming into play everywhere. The river is also to the left. Two deep pot bunkers split the fairway in half. One of the tougher shots for today. Whats unique to this hole is its beautiful rock bordered green. Also a deep pot bunker comes into play on the second shot. I suggest you layup unless the wind is helping.

Hole 8:

A tight slight dogleg right par 4. Short length will leave you a wedge in. A few hidden pot bunkers to the right and a small stream to the left. The the shot prefers a fade. You have to cross a rock/plant area right before the green on the approach which is out of bounds.

Hole 9:

The last hole is a medium-long par 3. Just a basic par 3 with a two tiered green. Slightly uphill with a false front. Not much bunkers guarding the green. A simple hole.

Alright thats it. I might continue to make the back nine in a different file.

-
Hockey Island

- Hockey Island

Courses:
Volcano Island (WIP)
Maple Valley (Completed)

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 12:29:28 AM »
VERY IMPRESSIVE !!!!  It's hard to believe that this is your first course.  I wish that my first one had been this good...... I surely wish that HB would give me a way to delete it.
That being said, I have a few suggestions for you.  These are offered to help you become better, not to be critical.
Your planting is very nice and colorful, but the flowers are way too big.  It must have taken you forever to do those.  Do you know how to use the multi plant tool?  You select an item and then press straight down on your left joystick.  Then use use the + shaped rocker to adjust the amount and to vary patterns.  You'll find that you get a much more natural look using this and you'll save yourself not only a lot of time, but a lot of your object limit by doing it this way.  It's ok to do a few singles here and there to have some different sizes for variety though.
Most important.  You need to place rough around your fairways, greens and bunkers.  You won't ever play on a course in real life that doesn't have this.  If you want to create a realistic course, then you need to do it.  A lot of people put the rough in after they place each section of fairway or whatever.  You switch the surface right after you lay it down and you'll be on the same shape and size.  Then you can either just click it a couple times and it will lay your rough perfectly around your fairway.  You don't always want it perfect though..... It's good to just lay some in there the way you want it, especially around greens and bunkers in addition to the method I just told you.
Another tip is to string your bunkers together (touching) to create original shapes.  The stock shapes get repetitive really quick.  Also use your sculpting tools to raise and lower them for a more realistic bunker.  Most bunkers IRL are not flat. 
A couple little things.  That big tree hanging over the first green shouldn't be there.  Not only does it make the green way too dark (I couldn't even see the hole) but you should never have an obstruction to the green directly over the green.  I liked your cart paths, but I noticed they went to a bridge and they just kinda went straight downhill to it.  You need to sculpt that flatter to make it more realistic.   Golf carts aren't 4 wheelers.... Well, they are, but you know what I mean....... ::)

Like I said, these are suggestions for you.  Overall I really liked your course and it is a phenomenal first effort.  Great Job and I gave you an 8.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

hockeyisland

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 11:32:32 AM »
VERY IMPRESSIVE !!!!  It's hard to believe that this is your first course.  I wish that my first one had been this good...... I surely wish that HB would give me a way to delete it.
That being said, I have a few suggestions for you.  These are offered to help you become better, not to be critical.
Your planting is very nice and colorful, but the flowers are way too big.  It must have taken you forever to do those.  Do you know how to use the multi plant tool?  You select an item and then press straight down on your left joystick.  Then use use the + shaped rocker to adjust the amount and to vary patterns.  You'll find that you get a much more natural look using this and you'll save yourself not only a lot of time, but a lot of your object limit by doing it this way.  It's ok to do a few singles here and there to have some different sizes for variety though.
Most important.  You need to place rough around your fairways, greens and bunkers.  You won't ever play on a course in real life that doesn't have this.  If you want to create a realistic course, then you need to do it.  A lot of people put the rough in after they place each section of fairway or whatever.  You switch the surface right after you lay it down and you'll be on the same shape and size.  Then you can either just click it a couple times and it will lay your rough perfectly around your fairway.  You don't always want it perfect though..... It's good to just lay some in there the way you want it, especially around greens and bunkers in addition to the method I just told you.
Another tip is to string your bunkers together (touching) to create original shapes.  The stock shapes get repetitive really quick.  Also use your sculpting tools to raise and lower them for a more realistic bunker.  Most bunkers IRL are not flat. 
A couple little things.  That big tree hanging over the first green shouldn't be there.  Not only does it make the green way too dark (I couldn't even see the hole) but you should never have an obstruction to the green directly over the green.  I liked your cart paths, but I noticed they went to a bridge and they just kinda went straight downhill to it.  You need to sculpt that flatter to make it more realistic.   Golf carts aren't 4 wheelers.... Well, they are, but you know what I mean....... ::)

Like I said, these are suggestions for you.  Overall I really liked your course and it is a phenomenal first effort.  Great Job and I gave you an 8.

Wow thank you so much! I appreciate the time you took to play my course and give me feedback. I will try to fix on my next courses. Thank you very much!
- Hockey Island

Courses:
Volcano Island (WIP)
Maple Valley (Completed)

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 12:14:30 PM »
You're Welcome.  I really think you have some great courses coming in the future.  Check out some of my courses for ideas and to see how to do some of the things I told you about, especially the rock work..... I do a ton of that. I go for a natural look with my courses, but on the cut into the landscape out in the wilderness side.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next !!!!
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

hockeyisland

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 12:19:21 PM »
Thank you! I will try some of your courses
- Hockey Island

Courses:
Volcano Island (WIP)
Maple Valley (Completed)

hockeyisland

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 01:22:46 PM »
Winter is now up, more versions coming soon!
- Hockey Island

Courses:
Volcano Island (WIP)
Maple Valley (Completed)

davidkaja

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 02:24:47 PM »
Great first effort, enjoyed my 9 holes today. Looking forward to the back 9. Thanks for creating / publishing.

hockeyisland

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 02:35:45 PM »
Thank you!
- Hockey Island

Courses:
Volcano Island (WIP)
Maple Valley (Completed)

hockeyisland

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 02:36:40 PM »
Friday pin version is up
- Hockey Island

Courses:
Volcano Island (WIP)
Maple Valley (Completed)

hockeyisland

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 07:33:47 PM »
Saturday and Sunday pins r up
- Hockey Island

Courses:
Volcano Island (WIP)
Maple Valley (Completed)

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 07:21:44 PM »
My review from the 3 Hole Showcase Contest: Series 1 Tour 1. Don't forget to vote for your favourite!

What is immediately obvious from the very first tee is that this course has a very distinct and unique look to it. There are a few reasons for that. For one, there is no rough used other than the default texture. For this reason the fairways really stand out. If a closer coloured texture to the default rough had been used then I think it would look more natural but it is a memorable look.

The designer has clearly put in a huge amount of time and effort in planting dense and varied flower beds. It is a shame that they are possibly a bit too big as from the first tee it obscures the right fairway from view, but otherwise has done a great job on this. If you played with no aids (see True Sim Tour at TGCT.com) then you would only see 1 fairway which, against wind, would get you wet.

Talking of the first hole, it has a great quality in that depending on the wind it will play very different. I've not played against wind, but man the short fairway is narrow and would result in a long second. This is offset however by slow and soft conditions. It's actually a very interesting choice and makes a hole look harder than it plays. I like that about the course in general, it is different from the norm and makes for a fun round.

The second hole, a long par 3, is very well sculpted. The water looks natural and comes into play without being over done. I love what has been done with the trees. They appear to be layered so that the trees at the back are sized up to give the backdrop depth. Unfortunately it results in some extremely large trees, and it's let down by the theme which is one if the old ones. I'd love to see a switch to Harvest or Countryside to see the change it makes as the Autumn trees done look great increased or up close. Excellent hole though.

The final hole is another interesting design. The only real gripe is the very steep sloping into the water which doesn't look as good as the more gradual slope on the second of the showcase holes. I do really like the heavy bunkering, the gradual curve brings almost all of them into play depending on the conditions and chosen line. I gambled on the green and made eagle, was great fun!

Overall a strong first outing for this designer. I like the fact that even as a first course the designer has his own ideas both in terms of looks and playability. I would suggest looking at some of the newer themes, look at blending in rough textures and keeping a check on the size of trees/plants. I also suggest that the designer doesn't change too much, we need unique and we need different :). Oh and keep an eye on that meter... Next time I want 18 holes :-D! I look forward to the next course
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

hockeyisland

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 07:28:49 PM »
My review from the 3 Hole Showcase Contest: Series 1 Tour 1. Don't forget to vote for your favourite!

What is immediately obvious from the very first tee is that this course has a very distinct and unique look to it. There are a few reasons for that. For one, there is no rough used other than the default texture. For this reason the fairways really stand out. If a closer coloured texture to the default rough had been used then I think it would look more natural but it is a memorable look.

The designer has clearly put in a huge amount of time and effort in planting dense and varied flower beds. It is a shame that they are possibly a bit too big as from the first tee it obscures the right fairway from view, but otherwise has done a great job on this. If you played with no aids (see True Sim Tour at TGCT.com) then you would only see 1 fairway which, against wind, would get you wet.

Talking of the first hole, it has a great quality in that depending on the wind it will play very different. I've not played against wind, but man the short fairway is narrow and would result in a long second. This is offset however by slow and soft conditions. It's actually a very interesting choice and makes a hole look harder than it plays. I like that about the course in general, it is different from the norm and makes for a fun round.

The second hole, a long par 3, is very well sculpted. The water looks natural and comes into play without being over done. I love what has been done with the trees. They appear to be layered so that the trees at the back are sized up to give the backdrop depth. Unfortunately it results in some extremely large trees, and it's let down by the theme which is one if the old ones. I'd love to see a switch to Harvest or Countryside to see the change it makes as the Autumn trees done look great increased or up close. Excellent hole though.

The final hole is another interesting design. The only real gripe is the very steep sloping into the water which doesn't look as good as the more gradual slope on the second of the showcase holes. I do really like the heavy bunkering, the gradual curve brings almost all of them into play depending on the conditions and chosen line. I gambled on the green and made eagle, was great fun!

Overall a strong first outing for this designer. I like the fact that even as a first course the designer has his own ideas both in terms of looks and playability. I would suggest looking at some of the newer themes, look at blending in rough textures and keeping a check on the size of trees/plants. I also suggest that the designer doesn't change too much, we need unique and we need different :). Oh and keep an eye on that meter... Next time I want 18 holes :-D! I look forward to the next course

Thank you for the detailed review! I appreciate it and will use those tips on my next course!
- Hockey Island

Courses:
Volcano Island (WIP)
Maple Valley (Completed)

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 07:31:55 PM »
No problem. I also took my own pic, I don't know what platform you use but I would highly recommend looking up getting screenshots as it shows off the course better than photos. Failing that Karma has said he will take requests for pics via PM, I'd consider taking him up on that for your next course :)
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

hockeyisland

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 05:37:10 PM »
Overseeded version is now up. This version includes rough. With the rough I went for a more messy look. Please play it. Reviews are welcome. Thank you!
- Hockey Island

Courses:
Volcano Island (WIP)
Maple Valley (Completed)

space-cash