• 27 Replies

XGN_DerpyBurger

« on: January 18, 2016, 09:47:04 PM »
http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=13972.0

Versions:

1st Edition (members difficulty) - Published

Protee - Published

3 hole showcase - Published

Hello everyone! Today I bring to you my first true course named after a fake town that has my name in it. 6844 yds Par 71, will make you think about the risks and rewards on almost every hole (there are a couple of 'break holes' mixed in. Two rivers run parallel to each other at the center of this delta themed land. So choose wisely the risks you take, or you'll end up in water (sometimes).

Greens: sneaky fast, medium firmness
Fairways: medium firmness (and wide in areas)

Have fun guys!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 01:10:17 PM by XGN_DerpyBurger »

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 10:32:47 PM »
I'll play it in the morning and let you know what I think.  I'm looking forward to it.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

XGN_DerpyBurger

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 10:35:50 PM »
I'll play it in the morning and let you know what I think.  I'm looking forward to it.
I know you have. I honestly love how it turned out. It obviously isn't on the level of some of the others, but now that I have one course out that I consider to be my current best, maybe one of these days I will have the desire to put out another.

RockManDan

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 10:46:27 PM »
I'm addicted to it.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

XGN_DerpyBurger

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 10:20:17 AM »
I just played a round on my own course with an official score of -2. Current PS4 leader is in at -9. The course plays a lot different depending on wind conditions

RockManDan

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 12:55:39 PM »
I played your course and I liked it.  Very nicely laid out and playable even in the 10-12 mph winds.  For your first published course this is excellent.  I only scored a 73, but a lot of that had to do with the fact that I'm not a very good putter on slick greens.  The slants and undulations were good.
I do have to admit also that I was aiming at that table in the middle of the 18th fairway.  "Table for the masochist party is ready now......"  LOL.
You'll figure out more stuff as you go along.  A couple things that I can point out are that you do planting in the rough where it would never be, they do use a lawnmowers on that.... Planting should be done on the natural surface or on one of the bedding textures.  Also try to mix your placements of objects up.  You had a line of shrubs to the right of the tee on 18 that were all the same.  You could have thrown a few different shrubs in there and played with he sizes a little to make it look more natural.  Also, your bunkers could use a little more sculpting.

Those things are just polish though and will come to you with time.  It's easy to get caught up in the moment but you have to stop and think.... Would it be this way on a real life course?

Your overall design was solid and it played nicely.  I gave you an 8
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

XGN_DerpyBurger

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 01:03:57 PM »
I played your course and I liked it.  Very nicely laid out and playable even in the 10-12 mph winds.  For your first published course this is excellent.  I only scored a 73, but a lot of that had to do with the fact that I'm not a very good putter on slick greens.  The slants and undulations were good.
I do have to admit also that I was aiming at that table in the middle of the 18th fairway.  "Table for the masochist party is ready now......"  LOL.
You'll figure out more stuff as you go along.  A couple things that I can point out are that you do planting in the rough where it would never be, they do use a lawnmowers on that.... Planting should be done on the natural surface or on one of the bedding textures.  Also try to mix your placements of objects up.  You had a line of shrubs to the right of the tee on 18 that were all the same.  You could have thrown a few different shrubs in there and played with he sizes a little to make it look more natural.  Also, your bunkers could use a little more sculpting.

Those things are just polish though and will come to you with time.  It's easy to get caught up in the moment but you have to stop and think.... Would it be this way on a real life course?

Your overall design was solid and it played nicely.  I gave you an 8
Thank you very much man

PS: I couldn't do a long reply because I was in classes until just now. Not even my busiest day either. Great. Anyhow... I felt like the course was too bland and needed something different with the added grasses. Maybe next time I can move the added grasses back a bit to make the heavy rough look more like a 3rd cut. I have seen many courses where they plant like that in the heavy rough, but maybe I just was too close to the light rough. As for the bunkers... I still haven't found a technique I like. I used one of crazycanuck's techniques and it looked good enough, it is much better looking than some of my other bunker work. I think it is 14 that you were talking about for the shrubs? I wanted that (and I believe I did it on 10 too) to look like a nicely trimmed hedge. I probably should've left it straight instead of adding more to it, so yes, I can fix it, but I wanted it to be as straight as the retaining wall it was covering. Once again, yes, I know that it isn't the best course out there, but this is my brand of designing and I am pleased (for now) with the results. It's kind of like a person's writing style, where you can approach a sentence in many different ways, while adding little tid bits of information in between like this, and even though you write about the same topic, no two papers will look the same completely, or else you know someone plagiarized.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 04:42:47 PM by XGN_DerpyBurger »

XGN_DerpyBurger

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 05:53:18 PM »
For a protee version how should the course conditions be? Slower for sure, but softer? I think the fairways are fine for protee. But the greens definitely need to change.

RockManDan

• GroupMember
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 07:45:29 PM »
I know what you're saying.  I'm known for my rock work.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

drlowdon

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 07:12:14 PM »
@XGN_Derpyburger:

TGC @ Hicksville (7 out of 10)
I thought this was a pretty nice course in the underused delta theme. Overall the hole design is above average with some nice risk/reward holes but the size of the greens on the 5th, 6th and 9th, which are too small for the length of hole, is a slight issue. I'm also not sure why there is a picnic table in the middle of the 18th fairway? Aesthetically there is no 'wow' factor but everything looks neat and tidy thanks to the smooth sculpting work.

It's not a course I'd put amongst my favourites but it makes for an enjoyable enough round and I've added it to my list of recommended courses from PS4 designers here: http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=13547.0

XGN_DerpyBurger

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 07:17:05 PM »
@XGN_Derpyburger:

TGC @ Hicksville (7 out of 10)
I thought this was a pretty nice course in the underused delta theme. Overall the hole design is above average with some nice risk/reward holes but the size of the greens on the 5th, 6th and 9th, which are too small for the length of hole, is a slight issue. I'm also not sure why there is a picnic table in the middle of the 18th fairway? Aesthetically there is no 'wow' factor but everything looks neat and tidy thanks to the smooth sculpting work.

It's not a course I'd put amongst my favourites but it makes for an enjoyable enough round and I've added it to my list of recommended courses from PS4 designers here: http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=13547.0
The picnic table is meant to scare people away from hitting driver. As for the small greens... 5 is the "short" par 5 that I designed to be unreachable (as there is plenty of layup area on the left) This is the first time anyone has said anything about 6 and 9. I will make them bigger (slightly) before I put out the championship versions.

drlowdon

• GroupMember
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 07:22:26 PM »
Fair enough, can't imagine anyone being brave enough to sit at that table though!

XGN_DerpyBurger

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 07:24:56 PM »
Fair enough, can't imagine anyone being brave enough to sit at that table though!
Lol. I thought it kinda looked nice. Maybe I'll add a tree or two to 5 to block that shot a bit more. Because I do see why people go for it. The shot I want the player to take is the lay up on the left and then be I think 40 yards out? Ish... My point being is nobody is perfect the first time. There's always something.

MayDay91283

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 07:36:04 PM »
Gave the course a spin tonight. Different than what I've been accustomed to playing. I usually lean toward the real-feeling tracks and this certainly had a bit of a fantasy feel to it. Nothing wrong with that, just personal preference.

I must say, for a first release, you are MILES ahead of where I'm at from a planting/landscaping standpoint (though I must agree with some of the others, middle of the 18th hole not exactly where I'd plan my picnic  :)).

That being said, for as visually intimidating as the course looked, I thought it actually played pretty fair. As long as you hit the fairway, your pretty much able to throw a dart in at the pin and the softness of the greens made up for their small size. Shot -5 the first time out, and that was with rinsing balls on 9 & 10 and a pretty luck-luster putting effort on my part.

All and all, not a bad first go at a course.
My TGC 19 Courses:
Necedah Pines GC
Avondale American G&CC
The California Tour Club (w/ StayPuft39 & MattF27)
Hoback Range Sports Club
Ladue C.C. (Members/Tourney Eds.)
Monterey Bay Country Club
The Dunes at Broken Hills
Seenbayer Park G.C.
PSN/Steam: MayDay91283

RockManDan

• GroupMember
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 07:36:50 PM »
Like I said before..... I aimed at it !!!!  LOL.  Sitting ducks.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

space-cash