Voting closed: February 21, 2016, 12:09:10 AM

3 Hole Showcase Contest: Series 1 Tour 1

• 51 Replies

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2016, 01:13:18 PM »
heres a course guide for my course maple valley:

Hole 2:

This one of my favorite holes as there are multiple options off the tee. A slightly downhill long par 4 measuring at over 480 yards. There are two fairways with water boarding both of them. If the wind is helping, try to drive the second fairway over water and have a much shorter , if the wind is against, layup.

Hole 3:

A very nice medium length par 3. A two tiered green, but a fairly easy one. Very nice views on this cross pond par 3. SHould be an easy birdie hole if it is not the sunday version.

Hole 6:

The one and only drivable hole! A beautiful par 4! Your tee shot is another risk reward shot. You can choose between the highly countered fairway or trying to drive the green. I suggest to go for it when the wind is up and layup when the wind is against. A nice hole with a cool bridge crossing over the inlet of water. A personal favorite.

Cheers for posting this, always good to know what the designer is thinking :). Enjoyed the showcase version of the course, I'll be giving it another go in a few days when I'll post a review
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2016, 01:21:35 PM »
Have just added Nick's YouTube video of his twitch playthrough of the tour to the OP, go check it out :)
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

nickweis

• Go in Your Home!
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2016, 02:05:41 PM »
Have just added Nick's YouTube video of his twitch playthrough of the tour to the OP, go check it out :)

nice!
My Courses:
Red Rock National
The Links @ Inverness Point
Pine Park Lodge (9 hole)
Helena Island Estate (9 hole)
Grizzly Paw Golf Club
Killarney Golf and Country Club
The Great Northern G&CC
The Links of Isolation Island
Coyote Canyon (Original Members, Tour and now 2016 multi)
Steam/PSN: Nickweis12

XGN_DerpyBurger

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2016, 02:14:18 PM »

nice!
I just watched the video. From what I heard and read in the comments it looks like my course was given a thumbs up. I do have a game plan for course #2, but I still am working on getting all of the versions of my 1st one out. Thanks for the plays guys!

hockeyisland

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2016, 10:03:36 PM »

Hole 2:

This one of my favorite holes as there are multiple options off the tee. A slightly downhill long par 4 measuring at over 480 yards. There are two fairways with water boarding both of them. If the wind is helping, try to drive the second fairway over water and have a much shorter , if the wind is against, layup.

Hole 3:

A very nice medium length par 3. A two tiered green, but a fairly easy one. Very nice views on this cross pond par 3. SHould be an easy birdie hole if it is not the sunday version.

Hole 6:

The one and only drivable hole! A beautiful par 4! Your tee shot is another risk reward shot. You can choose between the highly countered fairway or trying to drive the green. I suggest to go for it when the wind is up and layup when the wind is against. A nice hole with a cool bridge crossing over the inlet of water. A personal favorite.

Cheers for posting this, always good to know what the designer is thinking :). Enjoyed the showcase version of the course, I'll be giving it another go in a few days when I'll post a review

Thank you very much pyates! I really enjoy what your doing, its great for the community. I appreciate it. Thank You!
- Hockey Island

Courses:
Volcano Island (WIP)
Golden Gate Golf Links (WIP)
Maple Valley (Completed)

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2016, 10:26:19 PM »

Hole 2:

Hole 3:

Hole 6:

Thank you very much pyates! I really enjoy what your doing, its great for the community. I appreciate it. Thank You!
Thanks a lot, much appreciated
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

Mav78

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2016, 08:58:57 AM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NdOZNtK6CKU#

i have done a front nine preview of the TGC @ Hicksville,  really nice course i recommend a play
Golf as Design:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agI50XD4UTM&list=PLmIOu6aeXLGfXQXFjqOpzJHT2T46gDYWB

Follow newportgolfer on Instagram for real life golf/construction/maintenance/design

Three Cliffs Bay
Royal St. Iona
Troon West
Kankakee - TPC or Valley
Davies at Bora Bora
The George Washington

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2016, 10:57:11 AM »
Just a quick nudge for people to go out and give the tour a play. And don't forget to vote, we have 11 votes so far, it's open for 3 more weeks but I'd like a lot more :)

Thanks Mav for posting that video, will have to check it out.

I'll be posting my reviews soon too. The first ones will be later today.
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

SANCHEZCFC

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2016, 11:35:21 AM »
Just played the tour straight thru & scored -6...for me the stand out course was Le Golf des Vacheries..very nice course.

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2016, 06:35:45 PM »
Designer: Mav78
Original: The Rolls of Kohala
Showcase: The Rolls of Kohala (showcase)
Fairways: Medium. Greens: Medium (Firmness and Speed)

Going with a slightly different review style... We'll see how it goes :)

My favourite thing about this course is the greens. The first hole of the showcase, a 193 yard Par 3, has a fantastic undulating green. There aren't two, three or four tiers, but many flowing patches of green which blend together from back to front. With the greens being relatively soft this plays very fair but only a very good shot will have an easy putt. This appeared to be a great feature of the course but this first hole stood out massively.

All three tee shots, in particular the first, look really nice.  One thing I wasn't a massive fan of was the lumpy terrain outside of the main holes. I get the feeling these were meant to be rolling hills. Personally they just needed a little smoothing so that they appear a bit more subtly.

The second hole is a 486 yard par 4. It is a very tricky driving hole due to the narrow treelined fairway and the fairway bunker blocking most of it at around driving distance. Downwind you could sail over this easily but against wind I decided to layup short. My preference would have been to have a little more room on the least favourable side to allow for a safe line.  Currently it doesn't feel like something you would see on a real course IMO. As I said earlier, the green is great. Apparently there seems to be a bit of a problem with the right hand tree but otherwise great.

Last up is a 266 yards par 4. Loved this hole. A perfectly sized island green for a 3 wood or driver to make it a dangerous challenge but also a doable one. I played twice and made eagle both times but could have easily found water. Great matchplay hole.

All in all, very nice looking holes which play very well. Will be playing the full course primarily for the greens.
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2016, 06:10:29 PM »
Designer: tastegw
Original: Wolfthorn Grove
Showcase: Wolfthorn Grove 3H
Fairways: Medium. Greens: Medium & Slow

Before I start, taste set out with the mission to 'polish everything'. With that in mind it only seems fair to really scrutinise the work. I didn't regret doing so!

The first of the showcase holes is a very long 499 yard par 4. It is beautifully tree lined and the textures are used expertly to really make the fairways stand out without being overdone. Just off the left there is a short row of houses which shows the effort put into the smaller details. In terms of hole design, the fairway is realistic in width, yet the hole length will have you skirting the bunker on the inside of the bend. A fairly simple but elegant green with a protective bunker short is not too tough but certainly no push over.

As good as the houses are on the first hole, the quality really shines through on the long par 3 second of the showcase holes for me, primarily with the pond area on the left. So many designers attention stops once the ground drops below the water surface, however, depending on the angle, you can often see horrible tool marks below the surface. Not so here, every inch is perfect and has been smoothed even under water, well planted and has a very natural look. But look away from the water you can see sculpting around tree bases, natural looking paths and other touches. It's a fairly plain hole, but just excellently done.

The 3 holes winds up with another stunning tee shot on a mid length par 5. Unless you have a very favourable wind you will have to find the left side of the fairway with a strong draw. I managed this second play through and reached the green. It's not a safe play with trees and water in play. The green is well protected by sand and is blind (unless of course you have a handy approach camera). I don't see a blind shot as a bad thing unless overdone throughout the course, it works well here.

Overall, if this is representative of the whole course then expect this to be very high up on many peoples list. I struggle to be able to criticise it at all.
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2016, 07:18:02 PM »
Designer: hockeyisland
Original: Maple Valley Golf & Country Club
Showcase: maple valley golf & country club (Thursday) - (showcase) (3 holes)
Fairways: Soft, Greens: Slow and Soft

What is immediately obvious from the very first tee is that this course has a very distinct and unique look to it. There are a few reasons for that. For one, there is no rough used other than the default texture. For this reason the fairways really stand out. If a closer coloured texture to the default rough had been used then I think it would look more natural but it is a memorable look.

The designer has clearly put in a huge amount of time and effort in planting dense and varied flower beds. It is a shame that they are possibly a bit too big as from the first tee it obscures the right fairway from view, but otherwise has done a great job on this. If you played with no aids (see True Sim Tour at TGCT.com) then you would only see 1 fairway which, against wind, would get you wet.

Talking of the first hole, it has a great quality in that depending on the wind it will play very different. I've not played against wind, but man the short fairway is narrow and would result in a long second. This is offset however by slow and soft conditions. The conditions are a very interesting choice and makes a hole look harder than it plays. I like that about the course in general, it is different from the norm and makes for a fun round.

The second hole, a long par 3, is very well sculpted. The water looks natural and comes into play without being over done. I love what has been done with the trees. They appear to be layered so that the trees at the back are sized up to give the backdrop depth. Unfortunately it results in some extremely large trees, and it's let down by the theme which is one if the old ones. I'd love to see a switch to Harvest or Countryside to see the change it makes as the Autumn trees done look great increased or up close. Excellent hole though.

The final hole is another interesting design. The only real gripe is the very steep sloping into the water which doesn't look as good as the more gradual slope on the second of the showcase holes. I do really like the heavy bunkering, the gradual curve brings almost all of them into play depending on the conditions and chosen line. I gambled on the green and made eagle, was great fun!

Overall a strong first outing for this designer. I like the fact that even as a first course the designer has his own ideas both in terms of looks and playability. I would suggest looking at some of the newer themes, look at blending in rough textures and keeping a check on the size of trees/plants. I also suggest that the designer doesn't change too much, we need unique and we need different :). Oh and keep an eye on that meter... Next time I want 18 holes :-D! I look forward to the next course
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 07:20:15 PM by pyates »
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2016, 11:10:13 AM »
Designer: RAMJET36
Original: Wild Goose Run Country Club
Showcase: Wild Goose Run - Showcase
Fairways: Medium. Greens: Medium & Medium/Fast

Wild Goose Run is a very pretty, natural looking course. The first of the showcase holes is a long par 3 featuring a grandstand to the left. It is a shame that when you look closely you can see park benches hiding behind the steps, however that is the case for many creative things in the GNCD (including my own) and from any of the playable areas it looks great. The surroundings of the hole look great with lots of interesting planting. The one thing I would change is the size of the green, it feels quite cramped and I think it would look even better with a wider green complex.  The green is also frustratingly tricky, but probably not unfairly so. Very good hole.

The second, a shortish par 4, is another great looking hole, it has a very tricky landing area which isn't helped by a big drop from the tee. The water on the left looks great and is threatening where it is placed if you go long or left of the fairway. If you find the fairway then you should have a good chance to get close to the hole as it is relatively short, but, with the uphill it is certainly not a given and is significantly harder if you find the rough. I also really like the rock work/planting long of the green... Nothing I'd really change about this hole to be honest.

The last is a much longer par 4. Very similar look to the previous showcase hole. It's a great look. Here the threat comes mostly from trying to miss the bunkers on the corner of the dogleg, but there is also a carefully placed tree further up the hole which you want to be careful doesn't obscure your second shot. If you find the fairway you then have a long iron into a plateau green. I do really like the rocks short of the green, they look great, but it does come at the cost of any fairway running up the green. On a long hole that feels a little out of place for me... The mortal player would struggle to get up to the green IRL. Otherwise it looks and plays great.

Overall a really well done and very polished set of holes. If these holes are to go by then I'm sure it's a fantastic course.
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2016, 06:20:07 PM »
Haven't forgotten about you guys... Still pushing for more plays and I'll make sure I complete the reviews over the next couple of days. Probably going to have to step back the reviews after this tour as life is getting in the way a little, thinking I'll just do a short one instead in general but allow designers to request a more thorough one if they want it... We'll see :)
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2016, 02:50:33 PM »
Designer: XGN_DerpyBurger
Original: TGC @ Hicksville
Showcase: TGC @ Hicksville (Showcase)
Holes: 10, 14 & 16
Fairways: Medium. Greens: Medium & Fast

Right from the off we are treated to a beautiful opening tee shot over water.  Great use of planting around the tee box, looks natural and very lush. The landing area is a good size with water right and sand left. The retaining wall I have to say is silky smooth, looks great with some nice gentle curves. I like that the fairway allows you to run into trouble if you go too far right, I ended up obscured by the right hand trees in one of my play throughs.  It's a good size green for the length and has enough break to be tough.  Very good first hole.

The second is my favourite of the three, a very reachable par 5 but a very tricky drive.  You have water and bunkers to deal with and depending on the wind you can take some off the corner but risk outrunning the fairway if you do, excellently designed.  The one thing I wasn't a fan of (and I know the guys commented about this on the twitch play through) was those bushes, they are a bit too uniform to look natural to me (I've seen this on a top top course recently so don't worry too much), plus the odd one sticks into the fairway... A little variety in height and type would help greatly.  Again, on the second shot trees provide a hazard depending on the line you have which is cool.  The pin being in the middle of the green, in terms of depth, gives plenty of space to land and get it close, but the slopes on the green make eagle very tricky... Really enjoy this hole.

Another pretty hole to finish, a relatively short par 3 but a nice tight green to match... Be careful if above the hole as it is a deceptively steep slope, but all very fair. Overall, I really enjoyed the holes and the course looks excellent from the playable areas.  The one thing I'd look to improve is thing like pathways between holes/fairway/tee box and in general the non playable areas. Delta theme is a tricky one to fill realistically, you can leave other themes be between holes but delta just looks a bit white and a bit bare for my liking. Excellent holes though and panning the camera around I can see some other interesting ones, including a cool little island green, great stuff.
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

space-cash