Puget Sound Golf Club

• 9 Replies

gregfordyce

« on: January 24, 2016, 06:30:22 PM »
Well I've worked on this for a long while, on and off, and finally focused on finishing it over the weekend. I've put so many hours into this one it is a relief to be done, but I think it's worth it - hope you agree.

6921 yards, Par 72, 4/10/4, medium greens. Hope you enjoy playing it!

Stumbling Wallaby GC
Malvern Park-Chicago, IL
Saguaro Bravo G.C.
Chaco Pecos GC
Sandpiper Hills GC

BillTracy

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 08:14:28 PM »
Looks like a great course, I'll try it out soon.
My Designs:

TGC2
Bill Tracy's Autumn Harbor

TGC1
Six Lakes Country Club
Brentwood Harbor Golf Club

BillTracy

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 12:09:54 AM »
I shot 4 under par on this course in light winds. I enjoyed this course a lot more than I did Lemon Creek. This course was simply more enjoyable to play. Puget Sound does venture into the fantasy realm but not severely so. There are many boats etc. perhaps too many for some tastes. But it is an interesting design with many good ideas. The medium green speed allows most iron shots to hold the greens so it doesn't become a chipping contest. I saw a few things here and there that I would have done differently without going into detail, but overall it is a nice looking course that is fun to play.

Hole number 7 is a good example of the thinking that went into the design here. It offers a choice to try a long drive off the tee around trees or layup. Actually, I was able to use a well aimed 3 wood there. As stated, an enjoyable course to play although it might be less so in a stiff wind. Voted 8.
My Designs:

TGC2
Bill Tracy's Autumn Harbor

TGC1
Six Lakes Country Club
Brentwood Harbor Golf Club

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 12:19:45 AM »
This course looks very interesting.  That's a lot of water !!!!!  Should be fun.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

RockManDan

• GroupMember
  • Without Great Courses There Can Be No Great Golf
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 06:02:28 PM »
I just played your course and I have to say..... VERY NICE JOB.  I thoroughly enjoyed my round.   Did get myself into trouble a few times, but was able to dig my way out of it.  I did DB 16 though.....RATS.
I still ended up shooting -5.  Personally, I would have put some more polish on it, but it was very well laid out.  The only thing detracting from a perfect experience was all the ships.  I really don't think they belong near a golf course.  Out in the distance.... Fine, but a full sail schooner directly near a ball oath just doesn't look right to me.  That was the only thing keeping me from giving you a 10 on it.  I did give you a 9 though because the course is really nice.  I would definitely recommend this to everyone.
i9 9900k 8 Core 5.O GHz. 
Asus ROG STRIX Z390 E Gaming.
64 GB DDR4 3600 RAM
2X Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB m2 RAID level 0
EVGA GTX 1080 SC. Windows 10 64 Bit
Rosewill Hive 1000W PSU

bob5453

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 06:47:08 PM »
Fun course and I enjoyed it! A+ :)
My TGC 2019 courses
Enchanted Mountain 2019
Roy Rogers Happy Trails 2019
Gilligan's Island Par 3 2019
The Big Valley 2019

*** Courses all have crowds added ***

gregfordyce

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 07:19:27 PM »
Thanks for the plays and feedback Bill, Djm, Bob - glad you enjoyed it. I agree about the boats Djm - I threw a few in towards the end before publishing and didn't think I overdid it, but upon playing it live - thought to myself "really should have deleted a couple of those close ones... :) Thanks again for the kind words!
Stumbling Wallaby GC
Malvern Park-Chicago, IL
Saguaro Bravo G.C.
Chaco Pecos GC
Sandpiper Hills GC

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 09:56:48 PM »
My review from the 3 Hole Showcase Contest: Series 1 Tour 2

gregfordyce - Puget Sound Golf Club (Holes 6, 7 & 10)
Forums: HB
Fairways: Firm, Greens: Medium Firmness and Speed

This course really impressed me as I wasn't familiar with the designer coming in and had no idea what to expect.  It had a very natural look, the kind where you don't see any brush strokes on the terrain, the planting was fairly light but in a good way.  There most definitely was a lot of sculpting as there are some big elevation changes and lots of water, but just very well done.

The first of the holes was a long downhill par 3, gorgeous looking tee shot, fairway short fed in towards the hole nicely giving you options.  Liked it a lot.  Couple of things I spotted. Fairway around green came and went resulting in some unsightly edges and there was one very big plant short of the green.. Minor and nothing else wrong, very nice hole :)

For me the second of the showcase holes is so close to being an excellent strategic hole due to the risk reward element of cutting the corner. However I can't understand why you would take option A and play short as you'd have a pretty long shot in.  Taking on the corner you'd need to be unlucky to not be in a better position as even rough or bunker should be short enough to give you little trouble. Making the bend less severe would make that first option a little more attractive and give you a bit more to think about. Again though, it looks very natural and the fence around the greens a great touch. It might be a little close as you could wriggle under, but otherwise a nicely presented hole.

The final hole is very pretty running alongside the water. Quite a small landing area with several possible lines to take off the tee. Only improvement would to show a little more fairway from the address position as it is a bit hidden. Excellent hole though, simple to play provided you find the fairway which you could easily mess up. A lot of trouble comes into play in high winds or playing out of the rough.

Can't really fault much. Must go play the full course, will have to keep an eye out for more courses by this designer!
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

WindyCityWizard

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 11:52:43 AM »
Great course, thanks for making it!
I agree, too many boats, but that didn't keep me from enjoying my round, favorited it, as I plan to enjoy it again! :) :) :)
Lots of versions due to refurbishments.
Play the ones exactly how they're listed here:
Tulip Point CC-Queen's Course
Tulip Point-Prince Course
Tulip Point-Royal Forest
Tulip Pt.-King's Course
Tulip Pt.-Royal Meadow
*All courses above have B, C, D versions*

Also,
Timber Trails (RCR)

gregfordyce

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 07:35:40 PM »
After quite a bit of feedback from people, I have published The Puget Sound Golf Club (Champion Course), for a more challenging version. Fast greens with 60% firmness (shots will still hold the green), pin placement adjusted, and re-contouring, as well as some tweaks here and there on certain holes based on feedback. This will appeal to those that like a more difficult course, yet still be playable for average players - not a PGA-level course with insane difficulty by any means, but definitely a test of skill.

Oh - and there are fewer boats :)

Hope you enjoy, thanks for playing.
Stumbling Wallaby GC
Malvern Park-Chicago, IL
Saguaro Bravo G.C.
Chaco Pecos GC
Sandpiper Hills GC

space-cash