Turnberry New Ailsa
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: February 27, 2016, 09:01:11 PM

3 Hole Showcase Contest: Series 1 Tour 2

• 38 Replies

Neutreus6

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2016, 06:02:00 PM »
Kipahulu Reserve: E (got suckered by the tempting 2nd shot on the 8th and it cost me a bogey - great course, look forward to the 18 holes)
The Hermitage: +1 (didn't enjoy the lack of an escape if you missed the fairway on the last of these 3 holes but some great ideas)
Humboldt Bay Golf Club - Eureka California: -1
Glen Abbey GC by BoomBoom: -2
Puget Sound Golf Club: -1
Turnberry New Ailsa:-2
Total: -5
My designs (which hopefully improved as time went on):

Quedgeley Hills Golf Club
Welland Lakes Golf Club
Autumnal Wood Black Course
Majestic County Golf Club
Buick Grange Country Club
Buick Grange Country Club (2016 revision)

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2016, 09:49:58 PM »
BoomBoom - Glen Abbey GC by BoomBoom (Holes 3, 9 & 18 )
Forums: HB TGCT Course Page
Fairways: Medium, Greens: Medium-Soft Firmness, Fast Speed (173)

I already reviewed this a while back for an earlier tour so won't say much here, but it is a beautiful set of holes. Expertly put together and worthy of the huge amount of praise it has received. Great stuff
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2016, 09:56:32 PM »
gregfordyce - Puget Sound Golf Club (Holes 6, 7 & 10)
Forums: HB
Fairways: Firm, Greens: Medium Firmness and Speed

This course really impressed me as I wasn't familiar with the designer coming in and had no idea what to expect.  It had a very natural look, the kind where you don't see any brush strokes on the terrain, the planting was fairly light but in a good way.  There most definitely was a lot of sculpting as there are some big elevation changes and lots of water, but just very well done.

The first of the holes was a long downhill par 3, gorgeous looking tee shot, fairway short fed in towards the hole nicely giving you options.  Liked it a lot.  Couple of things I spotted. Fairway around green came and went resulting in some unsightly edges and there was one very big plant short of the green.. Minor and nothing else wrong, very nice hole :)

For me the second of the showcase holes is so close to being an excellent strategic hole due to the risk reward element of cutting the corner. However I can't understand why you would take option A and play short as you'd have a pretty long shot in.  Taking on the corner you'd need to be unlucky to not be in a better position as even rough or bunker should be short enough to give you little trouble. Making the bend less severe would make that first option a little more attractive and give you a bit more to think about. Again though, it looks very natural and the fence around the greens a great touch. It might be a little close as you could wriggle under, but otherwise a nicely presented hole.

The final hole is very pretty running alongside the water. Quite a small landing area with several possible lines to take off the tee. Only improvement would to show a little more fairway from the address position as it is a bit hidden. Excellent hole though, simple to play provided you find the fairway which you could easily mess up. A lot of trouble comes into play in high winds or playing out of the rough.

Can't really fault much. Must go play the full course, will have to keep an eye out for more courses by this designer!
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2016, 09:57:42 PM »
Only a day left to play folks!

Sorry to the designers for getting behind on these reviews :)
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2016, 10:02:01 PM »
No sorry just under 2 days... 12 PM GMT this Saturday :)
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2016, 09:16:28 PM »
Currently a tie at the top on this one... more votes please... I'm not sure what to do with a tie... I guess a playoff poll??
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2016, 11:24:43 PM »
Oh no it is a tie at the top for 1st place. Tie is between:
- Kipahulu Reserve
- Humboldt Bay Golf Club - Eureka California

Two excellent courses... I will setup a new poll for these lasting a week sometime tomorrow
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2016, 09:28:30 PM »
Right, sorry about the delay completing my reviews.  Final one in a mo!
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2016, 09:28:37 PM »
Colinmafia - Turnberry New Ailsa (Holes 5, 9 & 14)
Forums: HB
Fairways: Medium to Firm, Greens: Medium Firmness and Speed

This was a hard review to write to be honest. The first couple of times I played it I was looking as a recreation. The second of those I got out the guide for the Turnberry Ailsa course and... well they didn't match.  Some of the landscapes seemed to but the hole routings and pars didn't. From what I can tell. So, basically I'm taking this course as a homage to the original and not an RCR, sorry if I'm wrong.

So, starting off the long par 5 is a good length with an interesting green. I like the bunkers sitting between cuts of fairway and light rough. As always with links courses I wish for tonnes of long rough as it always detracts from the proper links look, but this game just won't support it so can't mark down for that :). There are a few pinches of fairway around the short left green side bunkers where the rough around two bunkers try to join and on the outside of another which I think would look better if removed. Otherwise it is a good linksy green which I enjoyed playing.

The last two holes play around the Turnberry lighthouse and rocky coastline which does look pretty Turnberry-like.  The par 3 is pretty long, I know a lot of people hate par 3s where you are forced to use a wood... Personally not a big fan but nothing wrong with it. I did enjoy the severely undulating green and pot bunker but I felt some of the terrain was a bit too tagged especially the lump in the fairway short of the green. Cool use of the available land/sea though for both holes.

Overall some interesting links holes, they play well with some fun greens. Lighthouse area looks great :)
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

space-cash