The Hermitage is now open

• 3 Replies

GrumpyOldMan

• A day late and a dollar short!
« on: February 05, 2016, 03:27:41 PM »
Even though this is a new course it looks like it has been here forever, it blends into the terrain and is full of beauty.

Hi, welcome to The Hermitage, a par 72, 7068 yard golf course located in the wonderful Smoky Mountain foothills. This course will challenge you with its contoured greens (medium speed) and fairway shots that sometimes need to be shaped.  I tried to not only design this course to play realistic but to look great. It's designed to be on the rustic side with elevation changes and some rough ground.

I would like very much to get your feedback as to what you think. I'm still learning and I think getting better!

« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 06:03:10 PM by tommiedean »
Courses Created:

Manahawkin White Water Reserve
Fishermans Dock at South Bethany (On Tour with TGC Tours)
Rocky Top Golf Club
East Satawket Lowlands GC (On Tour with TGC Tours)
Chatham Club of Vancouver Island (On Tour with TGC Tours)

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 03:34:25 PM »
This course is on the 3 Hole Showcase Contest: Series 1 Tour 2: http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php?topic=14486.msg172396#msg172396

Looked very creative and tricky.  I see no replies, on here yet, I'm sure Tommy would appreciate the plays on the full course

Btw, that tour was missing your completed course thread as it wasn't completed, didn't see it pop up, I've linked it in now
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

Griff

• GroupMember
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 03:47:47 PM »
I'll try to give it a look-see in a little while. Just added it to my playlist....but have some designing to do myself for a bit.

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 03:33:40 PM »
My review from the 3 Hole Showcase Contest: Series 1 Tour 2

tommiedean - The Hermitage
Fairways: Medium-Hard, Greens: Medium-Soft Firmness, Medium Speed

I really enjoyed playing and reviewing this entry. There was lots that was done really well but also a few areas where I believe I can offer some pointers.

When stood on the first tee I was a little concerned that there was virtually no line of sight to the fairway... Fortunately the wind on tour was blowing in our favour but I would have been very tricky if it was blowing the other way. It's the sort of challenge I love but some would hate, perhaps a little bail out area would help or you might get some quitters :).  It is also very steep and narrow, I would have used either enforced shot shaping or narrowness, but its a fun challenge and I am just glad it was shaping a 3 wood and not a driver.

After navigating the first tee shot the water hazard in front is very pretty. The planting that I saw on this course was excellent, none more so than around this hazard, in particular the use of broken trees is subtle but looks great. The green is raised a lot making it a steep uphill, however not unrealistically so.

The second showcase how is a short par 3. There is lots of pretty on display but would benefit from a bit of sculpting work.  As it stands it is quite flat and it is hard to see some of the great work from the tee, just raising up the tee box a couple of feet would make all the difference. The park bench, fences etc all fit well with the course but you don't see the green properly from the tee so instead of adding to it they slightly take away. Another way to get over this would be to add more definition to the green, raising it up above its surroundings. It recommend both to make a good hole excellent. Oh, and I spotted a little bit by the green that was missed by the mowers

Last up was a long par 5. I think there are some really good ideas on display here. The tee shot is nicely presented again, with fencing/trees/planting done well. Again we find ourselves with a tight tee shot, a bit of right to left movement opens it up to work around the tight tree line.  There is actually a second fairway further left which to me could be more accessible and still be challenging... right now it is possibly a crazy option to go for. The reason behind the more difficult option is that it gives you a much better line to the green, this is vital for making it a viable option. Unfortunately regardless of the route you take off the tee, unless it is a severe downwind, I don't think it is reachable.  Very nicely presented hole though and the trees make the second tricky so it is still a very good 3 shot hole.

This is one of those times where I really want to praise the originality, toning down some of the more extreme ideas would make the course more accessible, but hang on to the uniqueness as it's a great quality to have and you literally can't teach it.  The greens are slow but also pretty flat.  I tend so flatten the green only with the soft brushes, it takes longer but results in there almost certainly being some subtle breaks remaining... or you can similarly raise up slightly with the soft brushes to add a little extra challenge.  Great fun and look forward to seeing future courses.
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

space-cash