1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: March 05, 2016, 09:05:11 PM

3 Hole Showcase Tour: Series 1 Tour 3

• 25 Replies

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2016, 12:21:14 PM »
Rod Simpson(rod81simo) - Congressional CC (Holes 9, 10 & 18 )
Forums: HB TGCT TGCT Course Page
Fairways: Firm Greens: Medium Firm, Fastest Speed

This is one of the few times where I happen to have also played the full course. I am not particularly knowledgeable of the real course, but the reference pics I have seen look as spot on as the GNCD will allow, which is all the more impressive as a PS4 designer.

Regardless of how it is supposed to look, it is a fantastic looking course with plenty of challenge.  It is highly related and deservedly so.  Can't really critique much... I wish you could rotate trees cos some of the hedges you can see repeat repeat repeat... But that isn't the designers fault and if you are pointing at bush rotation... You obviously have a pretty awesome course.  Number 5 on the clvs list... Enough said :)
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 07:18:15 PM »
Adam Hill - The Tour Club - Championship ( Holes 10, 11 & 17 )
Fairways: Medium Greens: Medium Firm, Medium Speed

I decided I'd also try and play the full courses this time around where I hadn't already.  Thoroughly enjoyed my round.  The course is challenging but fair with some excellent undulating greens.  I'm not a fan of the tropical theme for reasons I can't put my finger on, but for a tropical course it's definitely one of the better ones and the planting is excellent.

The first of the showcase holes has a very pretty divide in the fairway, it is definitely worth taking on when downwind as it gives you a nice short shot in for birdie.  Not an easy drive though either way.

The second has a nice wide fairway which looks nice from the tee. With the well placed bunkers you will find that depending on the wind the best line changes significantly.  What I liked best is that if you do get a shot at the par 5 in 2 then the green is setup very well to reward the accurately placed shot running onto the green, with the tier there ready to slow the ball up. However it also feeds the ball to the right meaning it can just as easily take your shot away from the hole... like that a lot :)

We finish up on a nice longish par 3.  The water long and right is very well done, the sculpting is just right in terms of sloping meaning that you only see the rock texture and the shallow water looks natural. The only exception being the little island of grass beyond the green.  It looks like it is mowed grass, I'd either raise up or down to give it the rocky texture, or plant something there.le island of grass beyond the green... Looks mowed, I'd either

All in all, excellent greens, well presented and will make the golfer think to get a good score.  Well worth a full round
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2016, 08:31:45 PM »
hershalcrustofsk - TPC @ Krampus Kristie TGCT Course Page
Forums: TGCT
Fairways: Medium Greens: Medium Firm, Medium Speed

So, I've just played the full course.  Having played the 3 hole version I was looking forward to this one and it didn't disappoint.  I absolutely love this course.  It just looks stunning.  It sticks to a pretty simple formula but it is consistantly beautiful.  There is lots of water and slopes, although many are not in play so it isn't overdone.  The brown heavy rough looks stunning with the trees creating a lovely woodland feel.

The par 3 to start the showcase off is a great hole, a subtle back stop on the left can help feed back into the hole if used right, or you can go straight at it.  Certainly multiple ways to get close and multiple ways to mess it up :).

Some of the greens are possibly a little much... the final hole of the showcase demonstrates this well.  I think if you gave perhaps another 5 yards depth to the green it might make it a little less frustrating as holding the green is difficult.  However the hole is great on the whole, a tricky drive to a narrow fairway where finding the short grass is a must.  With water right, a runoff left and a narrow green, you want a short club in your hands from a good lie.  Despite the difficult green, love the hole.

I think the greens are both a great feature and possibly a great frustration of the course.  I personally loved them, but some might possibly find them hard work.  The only thing I would add to it are some sort of pathways between fairways and holes.  At least in a few places it looked like the player would have a trek through the woods.  I really would be very happy playing this on tour, highly recommend folks get out and play this.
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2016, 08:33:55 PM »
VOTE CLOSES IN 30 MINUTES!

There are just 2 votes in it at the top... still time folks!
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2016, 09:23:47 PM »
Massive congratulations to Han... The Belfry tops the charts this week.  It really is a fantastic RCR and is well deserved.  Only 1 more week left and we'll have our 4 winners
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2016, 07:53:50 AM »
Congratulations to Han... his RCR of The Belfry has clinched the prize.  Very well deserved but in all honestly these courses were stellar this week.  All of them excellent
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2016, 07:17:29 PM »
Lol... Complete brain fart... I double announced this, I was meaning to announce the tie breaker for tour 1. Lol
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

Han

• GroupMember
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2016, 09:47:20 PM »
Lol  ;D

and thanks.....

oh and thanks (again)  ;)
TGC 2019 Courses :
Real Club Valderrama
The Belfry - The Brabazon
The Belfry - Brabazon RC
Valle de los Reyes (Ballesteros) - with Scarpacci
TGC1/TGC2 Courses created :
Oakmere Golf Club
Rivington Hall Golf Club
Dunholme Manor Golf & CC
Douro Valley Par 3
Douro Valley Resort
Herons' Reach Golf Links

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 10:18:36 PM »
Han - TheBelfry - Brabazon ( Holes 9, 10 & 12 )
Forums: HB TGCT
Fairways: Medium Greens: Medium Firm, Fastest Speed

Much respect has to go to Han for this recreation. Much like Rod with Congressional he did not want to stop until it was as perfect as he could make it. The effort shows. Hole 10, which is the second of the showcase holes is one of my favourite holes in golf in part to heroics from Lee Westwood and Sergio Garcia in the Ryder Cup. It makes for one of the best TGC holes IMO, it is perfect risk reward that translates excellently to the virtual world.

Go out and play it if you haven't.
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 08:40:08 AM »
Dale Burger (coruler2) - Daggerfen Manor 2016 ( Holes 1, 3 & 13 )
Fairways: Medium Greens: Medium Firm, Med-Fast(162) Speed

The par 5 to start us off is a brilliant hole. It runs alongside a beautiful coastline with plenty of trouble to catch you out. My favourite part however is the green, to get close you will need to use the slope and execute it perfectly. However it isn't overdone and opens the hole up to anything from eagle to bogey.

Next up is a short but tricky par 3. I loved the slopes on this one, the large tier makes it difficult to get to the right level and the backstop offers an alternative way to play, running the ball back down to the hole.  The pot bunkers look really good as well.  Another hole where a range of scores are on offer.

Final par 4 is a classic risk reward dogleg... how much do you take off?  You can probably trim off anything up to 100 yards off your second with a long tee shot.  This means that depending on the wind you may play this hole in very different ways.  Converse to other holes the pin is protected by slopes taking the ball away from the hole, a shorter approach gives you a chance to stop the ball close, a longer one would be very challenging and would likely need a strong draw to get close to the hole.

Overall absolutely love this course. Has a very links feel and has a lot of links elements.  My only criticism would be that for that true links feel, the water maybe didn't have that beachy seaside look you come to expect.  Doesn't detract from an awesome course, would love to play it on tour.
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2016, 09:53:57 PM »
DDawg - Connors Callahan Municipal G.C. (pin 4) ( Holes 10, 15 & 17 )
Forums: HB TGCT Course Page
Fairways: Medium Greens: Medium Firm, Med-Fast Speed

It is starting to sound old... But I really enjoyed this course. The submissions this tour in particular were incredibly good. Such a great look to this one and a pleasure to play. On the whole it wasn't overly difficult, but certainly no push over.

The first of the showcase holes (hole 10) has a gorgeous looking approach shot with both trees and water framing the shot. I really like the use of pine straw around the trees/bushes across the course, great look.

The course also has the surely great honour of being host to my first albatross. The par 5 15 is an excellent hole, the corner is protected by trees, but only enough to make the 2nd shot very difficult and in fact very enticing. I could see how I could shape the ball in such a way to manoeuvre around the trees and also filter it down to the hole. I executed it perfectly and the course duly obliged.

The final showcase hole is a very pretty par 3. The lighting is used perfectly on this one.  It is a long shot in but there is enough room to give the player a chance to get close. The bunkers look great as well.

Across the full course there are plenty of excellent hole.  A couple of the bunkers, one shaped like a seahorse the other I believe is some kind of lizard look awesome and are mini works of art embedded within the course.  Highly recommend.
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

space-cash