Kapalua Plantation Course (KPC Beta)

• 38 Replies

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« on: February 16, 2016, 06:47:51 AM »
I published a beta of my Kapalua Plantation Course WIP called KPC Beta.  If anybody familiar with the course could give it a play and provide some feedback it would be greatly appreciated.  I still have fine tuning to do but the beta isn't far off from the finished product.  It's not perfect but I think it's a pretty good tribute to this beautiful course.

Thanks!

Royce

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 11:03:59 AM »
I've only had a chance to play through the first 4 holes so far, but I'm really liking it, even in 19mph winds. 

The pine trees lining the horizon really capture the feel of the course so far, and I love the elevation work.  The approach to the 3rd green is excellent, my approach landed short and rolled back down the fairway, leaving an awkward 20 yard shot up a 10 foot hill, exactly the type of green complexes I enjoy.
XBL Gamertag= Royce Brown CC

TGC2 Completed Courses:
Augusta National Golf Club (members) - (voted 2017 TGC2 course of the year at TGCTours.com!)

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

BoomBoom

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 11:31:04 AM »
I wait till the hurricane passes to give this a go. Tough choice of theme I would imagine.  Hard for me to tell but I'm not sure the elevations are accurate off the first tee. I believe the green should be in view from the first tee, about 120 feet down and 30 feet down to the start of the fairway. That should bring the green into view from the first tee.

I learned a few tricks nailing elevations all over the course in the GNCD if your interested.

Nice track to take on, I looked at this one before I made a complete mess of the Kapalua sister course. One day I plan on re-visiting that one.

TY for doing this, we need this track here.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Bethpage State Park Black Course
Glen Abbey GC
Horned Viper GC (Gold Tees)
Thousand Islands Golf and CC

Why do i play with a female avatar? Because I would rather look at an ugly female than a pretty male.....

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 02:51:21 PM »
Hi BoomBoom,

Thanks for checking it out.  I think I'm going to try and avoid the "RCR" tag on this one and just think of it more as a tribute to Kapalua Plantation.  The final product probably won't include "Kapalua" in the name.  I do appreciate a good RCR, like the ones you have done lately, but I don't really have the time or patience to get every detail down to the inch (that's a lie, I have plenty of time on my hands).

I'm at 99.9% on the object limit which means no cart paths, the clubhouse area is going to suck, the "off course" planting is going to be non-existent.  There are 3 things wrong that somebody who really knows this course would pick up. Understandably, I don't think this will satisfy the RCR crowd.  I'll make sure to make that clear when I release the final version.

I'm more in the look and feel camp. I enjoy playing RCR's because they give me the feeling of playing the actual course.  I have no idea, and could really care less, if the approach shot elevation is off a few feet. 

I'm not trying to be defensive here, just realistic.  I don't want to get people hopes sky high.  Put down the protractor for 2 seconds and enjoy your round.  ;)

Royce

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 03:01:58 PM »
If you are able to capture the general feel of the course then I'm a satisfied customer. 

I break down recreations into three categories:
1) The recreations like Magnolia & Congressional which capture every detail are fantastic, especially if the greens are given the full treatment
2) The recreations which favor playability over exact replication (Yeltz's links courses as an example, some of the best playing courses in the game, modifying a course to fit tgc distances is completely acceptable in my book)
3) The recreations that are more along the lines of "inspired by", like many of Colin's courses that are generally modeled after a course but capture more of the overall feel and not the exact replication of every bunker & tree....yet are some of the most enjoyable courses I've played.

Whatever route you choose it's at the top of my playlist, like all of your great courses.
XBL Gamertag= Royce Brown CC

TGC2 Completed Courses:
Augusta National Golf Club (members) - (voted 2017 TGC2 course of the year at TGCTours.com!)

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 03:24:45 PM »
If you are able to capture the general feel of the course then I'm a satisfied customer. 

I break down recreations into three categories:
1) The recreations like Magnolia & Congressional which capture every detail are fantastic, especially if the greens are given the full treatment
2) The recreations which favor playability over exact replication (Yeltz's links courses as an example, some of the best playing courses in the game, modifying a course to fit tgc distances is completely acceptable in my book)
3) The recreations that are more along the lines of "inspired by", like many of Colin's courses that are generally modeled after a course but capture more of the overall feel and not the exact replication of every bunker & tree....yet are some of the most enjoyable courses I've played.

Whatever route you choose it's at the top of my playlist, like all of your great courses.

Hi Royce,

I'm not sure where this one fits in that list.  Maybe 1(B)?  It's more than "inspired by" but not up to the standards of Magnolia & Congressional.

Cheers!

BoomBoom

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 08:21:39 PM »
At the end of the day, close is good enough.

I don't release a course a week, so I can afford to put in the hundreds of hours required.

Riviera as good as it is, I tricked up the greens on every version but the black tees. I was hoping to also replicate the challenge of the place. I only picked it because of the timing and placement on the tours TBH. Bad reason, but I'm a little crazy.

Beth is another story, this one I'm going full on real and I will take as long as it takes.

Plantation on the other hand, you have the skills to go full on real. Even in my suggestion, the real elevation opens up the view, this thing was designed by a master, Arnie, once you start going full on real, you start getting into the designer head, and that alone is an experience in the designer like no other. Just MHO, at the end of the day you do what makes you happy, what gives you fun, it will be appreciated by me no matter what you decide to do.
Courses Created:
Coastal Taipan
Rattlesnake Pointe
Bethpage State Park Black Course
Glen Abbey GC
Horned Viper GC (Gold Tees)
Thousand Islands Golf and CC

Why do i play with a female avatar? Because I would rather look at an ugly female than a pretty male.....

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 09:06:44 PM »
Plantation on the other hand, you have the skills to go full on real. Even in my suggestion, the real elevation opens up the view, this thing was designed by a master, Arnie, once you start going full on real, you start getting into the designer head, and that alone is an experience in the designer like no other. Just MHO, at the end of the day you do what makes you happy, what gives you fun, it will be appreciated by me no matter what you decide to do.

I still need to do final tweaking so I think once I get the slope of the fairway where I want it, coupled with the elevation left of the 1st green the view will hopefully take care of itself.  As you well know adjusting one thing leads to 100 other issues. 

My biggest issue is fun factor.  I just don't find this the least bit fun.  I don't even think I would do this again if you paid me, lol. 

Playing this course is my fondest golf memory so I wanted it in the game so I could re-live it a little bit.  While playing I can recall shots I made and missed when I was there so I think it does the trick.  I hit a wedge into the 16th green that I thought was absolutely perfect.  It bounced once, checked up at the pin and then spun off the green about 30 yards.  I hit the most unbelievable drive on 17 that rolled through the end of the  fairway.  I felt like I hit it 3 miles! I couldn't wait to tee off on 18 and when it was finally my turn I duck hooked one that still rolled out 300 yards.  I'll never forget the flop shop I made from the back of the 18th green.  I can easily re-create those shots in this version so I'm excited about the way it came out and glad I did it.  However, I'm worried if I call it a RCR,  the RCR police will throw a fit.  Of course that may be the better option than calling something like Scarpacci Plantation and looking like I'm trying to take credit for somebody elses work.

karma4u

• GroupMember
  • I'm watchin' you.
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 11:50:04 PM »
Scarp, be careful of the title when you publish final edition..... ;) ...just sayin'...Cheers.

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2016, 12:13:33 AM »
Thanks Vic!  So your voting for not using Kapalua?

karma4u

• GroupMember
  • I'm watchin' you.
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2016, 12:33:10 AM »
No, no, not at all bud....there is another course out there...so, maybe include your name...say...by Scarpacci...to make sure folks are aware....... ;)  Cheers..

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2016, 12:40:08 AM »
No, no, not at all bud....there is another course out there...so, maybe include your name...say...by Scarpacci...to make sure folks are aware....... ;)  Cheers..

Gotcha.  I'm thinking Scarpalua Scartation

theclv24

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 11:43:17 AM »
Played a bit of the front 9 this morning, as those are the holes that I know best. It certainly has the right feel, especially the 5th hole, but it also feels like it may be "close", but not "exact". The one that stood out to me was the 6th hole, as I'm about 99% sure that you cannot see the green from the tee on the actual course, and it's a semi-blind tee shot where you can only see the bunker.

That's not to say that you need to change it, but more along the lines of answering your naming or classification questions.

Like I said, though, the feel is definitely there. Great job of utilizing the spruce trees, despite that meaning that you had to use the Links theme. The colors look great, the planting looks great, and the land is heaving all over the place like it should be. Regardless of how this course is classified, it's going to be great and the community will surely enjoy it. Also, thanks to a nice tailwind, I hit my longest drive (not counting goofy courses) ever on the 7th hole at 368.

Scarpacci

• GroupMember
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 03:23:31 PM »
Played a bit of the front 9 this morning, as those are the holes that I know best. It certainly has the right feel, especially the 5th hole, but it also feels like it may be "close", but not "exact". The one that stood out to me was the 6th hole, as I'm about 99% sure that you cannot see the green from the tee on the actual course, and it's a semi-blind tee shot where you can only see the bunker.

That's not to say that you need to change it, but more along the lines of answering your naming or classification questions.

Like I said, though, the feel is definitely there. Great job of utilizing the spruce trees, despite that meaning that you had to use the Links theme. The colors look great, the planting looks great, and the land is heaving all over the place like it should be. Regardless of how this course is classified, it's going to be great and the community will surely enjoy it. Also, thanks to a nice tailwind, I hit my longest drive (not counting goofy courses) ever on the 7th hole at 368.

Thanks clv.  I am now more committed to getting this exact so I will be looking a little more closely at everything.  Well, I shouldn't say exact but as close a s possible.  The 6th hole gave me trouble as it looks like it has changed a bit over the years. I'm going to spend the next week or two doing research as I need a little time away from the designer.  I was coming off a 3 day binge session when I posted the beta and wasn't in my happy place.

I'm off to Staples to buy a protractor.

Jared

• Measure twice and cut once
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2016, 03:41:38 PM »
Played the beta last night.  Looking great.

I am semi familiar with the course, mostly through other games and TV, so I'm sure if there are some details that are a bit off it would go right over my head.

At any rate, awesome to play, the elevation changes with high winds will make this a bear.  Thanks for taking the time, can't wait to favorite the full version.
My Courses:

Guid Donner
The Club at Horseshoe Lake
The Club@Horseshoe Lake Members

space-cash