3-Hole Showcase Tours

• 42 Replies

Griff

• GroupMember
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 09:18:13 PM »
do i just message you my submission or post it somewhere....?

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 09:27:37 PM »
do i just message you my submission or post it somewhere....?
I personally prefer the posted here as others can see courses coming in :)
Full Courses:
Sandy Foot Links (TGCTLive Olympic Entry)
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club
University Links (TGCT 2015 Open Championship)

Griff

• GroupMember
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 05:39:54 PM »
Just published under TPC at Castaway Bay (Showcase).

Hopefully I don't disgrace myself too much. Lol

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 08:09:24 PM »
Just published under TPC at Castaway Bay (Showcase).

Hopefully I don't disgrace myself too much. Lol

Mate, only disgrace is my front 9 on the full course! I took me a while to get used to the greens as I've been on full green speed designing all afternoon. Brilliant course, whichever 3 holes will be excellent picks I'm sure.
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 08:35:24 PM »
Aqua a la derecha

Par 5, 610 yards
Stunning looking tee shot. The deep green textures against the tropical theme look really nice.  Excellent risk reward tee shot, giving you a decent yardage advantage over the safe option.

Only thing that frustrated me was that there was no reaching the green in two despite it being downwind and me taking on the risky tee shot.

Knowing that you still won't reach in two may make the safe option the only sensible option which would be a waste IMO. I don't subscribe to the view that all par 5s should be reachable, but a risk reward tee shot like this almost promises the player who takes that route a shot at it. You wouldn't have to decrease length much or at all, but instead if you provided a narrow passageway of green or fairway then you would open up eagle to those who dare :).  The fencing btw looks great on this hole.

Par 4, 373 yards
The tee shot here isn't particularly memorable but it isn't bad either. This is maybe somewhere where some of the nice planting I've seen could have been applied.

The tiered fairway tempts you down to the bottom but comes at risk of finding the rough.

Small picturesque island green offers a great chance at a birdie, but miss fairway or green and you could find that par becomes a good score. A lot to like about this hole.

Par 4, 298 yards
Very pretty see shot. The two big palm trees silhouetted against the sky look great.

One silly thing I notice (because I spend so long trying to avoid it myself) is the repeating little palms. They are actually plants and so can be rotated, they can also be resized. Just a little change would prevent the eyes from spotting the uniformity.

Tree placement is very clever, making the reachable green very tricky to hit. You need a perfect draw with either a driver or 3w depending on conditions... Oh and with water on 3 sides, this is no easy target. Very well sized greens

Fun set of holes, lighting and use of colours was very good. Look forward to giving the full course a go in the near future
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 08:36:13 PM »
Btw, I'm reviewing evens, Erixon Stone is doing odds :)
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

ErixonStone

• GroupMember
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 12:29:54 PM »
Ruby Memorial by I-s-a-i-a-h-5-3

Hole 1 – Par 4 – 494 Yards
The fairway splits here, and if the pin is on the right side of the green, you’ll need to find the left fairway for the best angle.  If you want to find the right fairway, you’ll need to shape your drive a little bit to clear the trees.  The second shot is downhill to a green that slopes from front to back slightly.  This causes approaches to roll out quite a bit, even though the greens aren’t firm.  I would prefer the green be sloped towards the approach, considering players are hitting 3I, 4I or 5I depending on wind.

Hole 2 – Par 4 – 423 Yards
A dogleg-right around trees perched on a hill with water to the left.  Depending on the wind, 5W or 3I is the play off the tee.  The extremely aggressive players may try to cut around the trees with a 3W, but risk dunking the drive in the water.  Another downhill approach to a green tilted away from the player, but this time, players are asked to hit a 9I to the green.  The front-to-back slope of the green works well here.

Hole 3 – Par 5 – 597 Yards
The tee is elevated way above the fairway which is split by a bunker, so players have to be careful in high winds as the distance is hard to judge.  In favorable winds, the island green that sits on the other side of the lake is reachable in two.  Otherwise, players will have to lay up short of the water and leave themselves 150 yards to the pin for their approach.  Behind the green of the signature hole is the name “Ruby” written in creative type using mulch and the years “1929-2015” written in flowers, adding a nice touch to the course.

Overall, the routing from tee to green is interesting enough and the hole concepts are quite good.  The 3rd hole offers and excellent view from atop the hill.  More work is needed around the bunkers to give them that little bit extra.  They fairly well sculpted, but they don’t add much to the course either.  As for visuals, the course doesn’t offer much that isn’t already present in the Autumn theme.  Personally, I prefer the Harvest theme, but the course works well.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 12:31:59 PM by ErixonStone »
TGC2 Courses:
Transylvania Municipal Golf Park
Glacier Meadow Par 3 Nine
Acacia National
Bearded Pelican Golf Links

TGC1 Courses:
The Golf Club at Hylan Park
Crescentic Bay Golf Course
La Playa Vacia Golf Retreat
El Toro Golf Club

ErixonStone

• GroupMember
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 12:33:51 PM »
Icelandic Reach by aitchleague

Hole 1 – Par 3 – 187 Yards
Nice Par 3 to start us off.  The white textures of the Winter theme have been replaced by lush green grass, but I still get to keep the yellow golf ball.  The greens are softer than I expected.  I guess the snow is melting – I’m wearing short sleeves – so the ground is soft.  The planting around this hole is quite nice and there are several visual elements to take in.

Hole 2 – Par 4 – 344 Yards
If the wind is right, the green is reachable from the tee.  There is a long carry, though, so if you don’t have a tailwind, you’ll need to play to the fairway well to the right.  Wind is still a factor as you’ll need to avoid the in-fairway bunkers and find the right landing spot. A good wedge in will leave you a great chance for a birdie, even if you couldn’t reach the green from the tee.

Hole 3 – Par 5- 570 Yards
Avoiding the fairway bunkers is key if you want to reach the green in two.  You’ll also need a favorable wind to get there.  The 2nd shot, if you can’t reach the green, is completely blind, as the view is blocked by gigantic rocks. 

Overall, the course is well done.  I didn’t like the boulder blocking the view of my 2nd shot on the last hole; I would rather have been presented with a clear view of both options, but otherwise, the visuals were very well done.  I really liked the curved bridge on No. 2.
TGC2 Courses:
Acacia National

TGC1 Courses:
El Toro Golf Club

ErixonStone

• GroupMember
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 12:38:00 PM »
The Barnacle – Palms by Pablo

Hole 1 – Par 5 – 535 Yards
Starting off with a short par-5 hole with a narrow fairway.  There are some trees to the left and a bunker to the right, so accuracy is key here. There’s a small patch of fairway to the left of the trees but the landing area is extremely tight.  I found the small fairway, but I wasn’t able to take advantage, as the pin is still 280 yards away.  Would have liked being able to reach the green from there, but the slope in front of the green prevents and run-ups and leaves a 35-40 yard pitch for the third shot.  I’m not sure I gained any advantage by taking the risk off the tee.

Hole 2 – Par 4 – 429 Yards
There’s a narrow fairway to hit here, but doing so leaves just a wedge or short iron to the green.  There is a large tree to the left that blocks the green.  I’m not sure whether you are able to draw around the tree, but in my case, my approach grazed the tree, bounced on the fairway in front and rolled 20 feet past the pin.  This isn’t my favorite shot.

Hole 3 – Par 3 – 179 Yards
A par 3 over water to a green fronted by a retaining wall.  It’s really hard to hold the firm green here and the slopes are doing me no favors in trying to get close to the pin on the far right of the green.  I hit a good shot, landing just 2 yards into the green and I rolled to the back fringe, leaving a difficult 13 yard downhill chip.

Overall, the course is pleasant enough, but the default terrain of the Tropical theme needs extra TLC to enhance the look, and there isn’t enough of it here.  The retaining wall on the 3rd hole was nicely done and there are a few nice planting features.  The holes are a bit of a challenge thanks to the firm greens and the big tree on No. 2. 

The tree to the left is very hungry for approach shots.
TGC2 Courses:
Acacia National

TGC1 Courses:
El Toro Golf Club

Mav78

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2016, 04:10:36 PM »
I have added New The Davies Course at Troon West . Ive worked real hard at this but like my last course its had a handful of plays and a pretty poor rating. I think its a good realistic course but im starting to think my courses aren't up to much, maybe my last, too much effort for nothing even if I do love it
Golf as Design:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agI50XD4UTM&list=PLmIOu6aeXLGfXQXFjqOpzJHT2T46gDYWB

Follow newportgolfer on Instagram for real life golf/construction/maintenance/design

Three Cliffs Bay
Royal St. Iona
Troon West
Kankakee - TPC or Valley
Davies at Bora Bora
The George Washington

Griff

• GroupMember
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2016, 04:58:06 PM »
I have added New The Davies Course at Troon West . Ive worked real hard at this but like my last course its had a handful of plays and a pretty poor rating. I think its a good realistic course but im starting to think my courses aren't up to much, maybe my last, too much effort for nothing even if I do love it

I wouldn't give it up if you actually enjoy it, brother. As far as plays go, I think it's just where we are with game now. Known designers are always going to get their courses played (and deservedly so except 1 that shall remain nameless), but those trying to make our name are going to have to scratch our way to the top. There's plenty of resources to accomplishing that...you just have to be patient and keep plugging away at it. Hell, I'm struggling for plays even after some good reviews. That being said, use things like this showcase, post on TGCTours, tap into your friends list, etc.

I'll give your course a go and circulate it through my friends list on ps4. Hopefully that will help you out some. If you want me to send  feedback and/or observations via pm I'd be happy to do that as well, but not going to critique unless you're wanting it.

Chin up, brother...you'll get there with time.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 05:01:41 PM by Griff »

Mav78

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2016, 05:05:27 PM »
Thanks buddy I appreciate it. I've done all of the above I used to get a guaranteed 100 plays at least but lately just plummeted. I'm struggling to create courses that suit this game only see real life
Golf as Design:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agI50XD4UTM&list=PLmIOu6aeXLGfXQXFjqOpzJHT2T46gDYWB

Follow newportgolfer on Instagram for real life golf/construction/maintenance/design

Three Cliffs Bay
Royal St. Iona
Troon West
Kankakee - TPC or Valley
Davies at Bora Bora
The George Washington

pyates

• GroupMember
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2016, 08:49:35 PM »
Mav, played your course. It's really nice, I'm going to post on your completed thread but very much enjoyed it. Shame you aren't getting the plays, bizarre tbh

Thanks Erixon for posting those reviews, mine will be up soon
Full Courses:
Royal Brumby
Tye Dunes II
Tye Dunes
Marazion Golf Club

Mav78

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2016, 02:29:22 PM »
thanks mate. are you starting a new tour soon?

Three Cliffs Bay
Royal St. Iona
Troon West
Kankakee - TPC or Valley
Davies at Bora Bora
The George Washington

ErixonStone

• GroupMember
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2016, 06:27:19 PM »
thanks mate. are you starting a new tour soon?
Both pyates and I are involved in course design contests, and those submission deadlines are rapidly approaching.  Personally, I've been spending almost all my TGC time in the designer and I imagine pyates is also spending a lot of time working on his Olympics submission.  I think, once those are over (the HB Rookies ends May 1 and the TGCTLive Olympics ends May 15), you'll see this tour pick back up. 

However, we are always looking for course submissions.  If one of us needs a break from the designer and another six courses are ready to go, we'll gladly publish the next tour.
TGC2 Courses:
Acacia National

TGC1 Courses:
El Toro Golf Club

space-cash