The Finland Project aka Carl's Bait Shop

• 37 Replies

Bradley Stuart

• Hey all you young hockey players!
« on: April 09, 2016, 09:00:05 PM »
***************  UPDATE December 28, 2016  ***************

Carl's Bait Shop is now open for play!

Hey guys, I'm back.  I started this project over two years ago, when the game was still in early access. The plot of land was originally built for the desert theme which was the newest theme at that time, however I had to put it all aside for a while when I opened a pizzeria in the fall of 2014. Every now and then I would mess around with it, but not until the boreal theme was released did I truly delve back into it.

I ripped up all of the fairway textures from the desert course and re-routed each hole around the now plentiful trees. The peaks and ridges spread throughout the plot were flattened off in places to make spectator areas and even more tee boxes, foot paths were carved into the sides of others.

The course may be a bit on the fantasy side for me. However it should be noted that I do all of my playing (including testing) with the aids turned off so sim players should find this course very amicable.  I have the first 16 holes mostly complete. The most recently posted beta is now open for play!

Done in the Boreal theme, this course is designed for sim or high handicap golfers.   Over two years in development, the course is close to being finished! I have released a new beta with a full 18 playable holes.  The full official release will come in November.  More details are posted below.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 10:23:17 AM by bradleystuart »

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 06:04:15 PM »
A few more photos of the course so far...

Cheers.   8)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 05:30:05 PM by bradleystuart »

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 06:37:03 PM »
keep it coming bubba
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep
Edenvale (Major and Members)

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 06:50:38 PM »
And because the course is located just south of the arctic circle there will be some versions with frost...

and full winter conditions...

That's all the photos I have so far guys.  More once the back nine gets under way.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 06:16:01 PM by bradleystuart »

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 06:52:01 PM »
keep it coming bubba

Hey Reeb, how have you been?

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 07:00:49 PM »
I'm Livin... beats the alternative yeah? :)

Was away from the game for a few months with some other issues but I'm back at it now. Good to have the creative outlet back. That's what I missed...

In other news my wife and I picked a name for the new baby girl coming in August. Eleanor. Not sure about an "E" at the end or not yet though...

What's new on your end of things?
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep
Edenvale (Major and Members)

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 07:57:22 PM »
Yeah it does.  I've been busy making pizzas and trying to sneak in some late night design sessions.  If you're ever in Vegas, let me know.  ;)

Congrats on the baby girl.  She'll be cutting into your golf time for sure though.  My vote is for no "E" but then hey, I named a golf course Mökki Kokemäki so maybe I'm not the best to ask.

Cheers!

rdh

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 08:11:52 PM »
Looks beautiful and excited to read the part about protee.  Do you know roughly how long it will be?

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 09:18:30 PM »
Do you know roughly how long it will be?

Yes.  I designed the course to play 6,600 from the middle set of tees (each hole has 3 or more tee boxes).  Each version of the course will use a mix of tees and pin positions, so I hope to have several different versions that all play around that same yardage.  Of course it can be stretched out for tournaments and whatnot.

:D
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 04:41:31 AM by bradleystuart »

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 05:07:47 AM »
Okay guys, I know I'm a few days early but I really wanted to get started on the back nine and I said before doing so I would publish a beta.  So I did.

I have been busy for the past couple of weeks building fences.  You will also notice that I've implemented raised viewing areas for the galleries that I heard TGC2 is going to let us plant. ;)

Oh yeah, here's some more pictures.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 05:33:41 PM by bradleystuart »

Dr. Yeti

• GroupMember
  • Handicap: 10
    • My 2014 Golf Stats (RL)
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2016, 01:26:45 PM »
Looking GREAT bradley!,  looking forward to its release.  My only suggestion would be the name...   have you tested how easy it is to find the course in the browser, with the umlaut(s) in the name?   Mökki...?

I'm wondering if anyone would be able to find it if they search for Mokki  (without the umlaut?)

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 11:14:12 PM »
Hey Doc.  I did finally get a chance to do some testing.  It looks like the search function does not include umlauts so you would have to search for 'Mökki' as just 'Mokki' would come up blank.  I may decide to change the name but If I keep the name the umlauts stay.  Either way I have a long while to think it over.

There are two things that I know for sure about this project...

One.  I will be publishing this under a different account.  I don't want this course to be mixed in with my early access work or the betas.

Two.  This will be my only golf course.  Just one good track that I can play ad infinitum.  ;)

coolbeansaaron

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 11:48:07 PM »
Looks beautiful so far, keep working on it.
Add me on steam! "coolbeansaaron"

Cool Courses:
- Lemuria Island Golf Resort
- Rabbitbrush Golf Club
- Mesa Creek Resort
- Canyonlands CC
- Needle Lake
- Blackhawk Ridge

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 04:06:24 PM »
And work on it I will!

I know it's been slow going, but I've had a couple of really busy weeks at the shop.  I have been able to get some stuff done, but first I would like to thank everyone who took time to check out the newest beta.  I try to play against every ghost that is up on the board.

Now...here's what I have been up to for the last few weeks:

Found a permanent spot for the clubhouse.  I had a placeholder down earlier, but I like the new spot overlooking the 9th (and 18th eventually) green.  It still needs to be gussied up though.

As far as the back nine goes, I have 10 and 11 mostly done.  I'm working on the 12th now.

The 10th hole is an uphill mid length par 4 with 3 distinct landing areas.  A lone pine divides the first two areas and you'll have to carry a nasty bunker if you want to take the driver.  The green is up on an elevated shelf and well protected by trees on both sides.

The 11th will most likely be the signature hole here.  A short uphill par 4 that is driveable from the front  box and maybe even the middle tee with enough of a tailwind.  The green features three narrow shelves, so you'll need to leave some room to stop the ball quick or find a better angle into the green. ;)

The 12th is a par 3 that comes back down (90+ feet) to water level.  I'm also planning to build another spectator area around the 12th tee similar to that between the 5th and 6th holes.  It would be a great place to watch the action from.

Well, I'll check back in a couple more weeks with the latest updates.  Happy Golfing!

« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 05:38:39 PM by bradleystuart »

Mrooola

• GroupMember
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 10:42:56 AM »
I'm as hyped about this course as I am for a TGC 2. I have no clue who you are or what you've done in the past, but this just looks amazing. Keep the name! I like it!

Skickat från min SM-G920F via Tapatalk

New South Flower Golf & CC
The Copse @ Malkie Coast
Aij Kee Ahh Hideaway 9 Hole
Demon Host GC
Carolina Low GC
Cul de Sac GC
Unfinished Sympathy GG
Little Bird Trails
Silent Ivy Hotel, Nattavaara, SE

space-cash