The Finland Project aka Carl's Bait Shop

• 37 Replies

Bradley Stuart

• Hey all you young hockey players!
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 08:53:25 PM »
I have no clue who you are...

If you are looking for a full 18 hole course you can play right now, I can tell you I don't have one. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for duffers like you. If you play my beta now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you. I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I WILL find you and I will let you know when my course is open for play.

;D

Royce

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 12:05:47 PM »
Why is this course coming in Sept 2016, you have a detailed project plan that projects the end date as such?  If so, well done on project planning, especially if you've never made a course before.  Really looking forward to this one, pics look amazing.
XBL Gamertag= Royce Brown CC

TGC2 Completed Courses:
Augusta National Golf Club (members) - (voted 2017 TGC2 course of the year at TGCTours.com!)

TGC2 Works in progress:
Oakland Hills South redo
Pine Valley Golf Club

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 12:12:37 PM »
I have a rough plan for the course, but the time estimate is just a guess really.  I own a little pizzeria in town and I put in about 70-80 hours a week there so I don't get as much time for golf anymore.  In the last 3 weeks I have completed 3 holes.  So figure 6 weeks for the remaining holes and another few weeks to tidy everything up and that puts us somewhere around August or September.

As for who I am and what I have done in the past?  I bought this game the morning it became available on Steam for early access.  For those who remember, the course designer was nowhere near what it is now.  You could not lay any custom textures (no fairways, no greens, etc.) and planting was extremely limited.  Pretty much all you could do was choose how wide you wanted your fairways to be and whether you wanted them to be straight or wavy.

I was unemployed back then so I had much more time to design.  Even though you couldn't do much with the early designer, I pushed it to the limit...literally.  My first course broke the game when I hit the size cap.  I had one hole left to finish and she wouldn't let me budge another inch, so I just went ahead and published the 17½ holes I had at that time.  I called it 'The Lodge'.  Of course, the next update after I published it the cap was removed so I published a second/final version as 'Eagle Lodge'.

Soon after that, the desert theme became available and I was invited into a 'design contest' specifically for the new theme.  So I did one more course, in the desert, called 'Hoodoo Gulch'.   I published a second version of it sometime later in the alpine theme and called it 'Widow's Ridge'.

So technically I have two golf courses under my belt for this game, but they were both done in early access.  I designed this plot of land in July 2014 shortly before version 1.0 launched.  It was done in the desert theme.  I had an unpolished (in my eyes) 18 holes laid out when I bought the pizza shop.  I knew I was going to have to step away from the game for a bit so I published what I had as an untitled beta.  This is that same course.  Kind of.

Although I live in the desert, I'm not a big fan of designing in it.  My golf courses need trees...you will see that when you play this course.  The surroundings are beautiful, but it is the trees that make it what it is.  They can hurt you, they can help you and they will guide you when you can't see your target.

Now,  Where was I?  Oh yeah, I picked up this course again that November and switched it to the boreal theme.  I was a bit worried about the severity of the terrain for this theme at first.  Of course, I had to rip up all of the old fairways, tee boxes and bunkers so I could reroute the holes around the trees and natural vegetation already present in the new theme.  It's been a slow go but the finish line is in sight.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 01:47:51 PM by bradleystuart »

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 11:01:22 PM »
Perhaps I can interest you in a nice hot pizza pie while you are waiting...

:D

rdh

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 11:10:33 PM »
That was funny.  Well done.

Reebdoog

• GroupMember
  • needs new clubs...
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 11:15:50 PM »
dude... that pizza...that serious pizza... oh my good gravy.

Please tell me you have anchovies too...
Olafsen Skerries
Turu Wero
Warrior Ridge
Hyperion Fields
Old Tom's Ferry
Einstakt Foss Golfklubb
The Sonoma Sands Golf Club
Bandit Ridge
Bridges at Paradise Cove
Fenyard Keep
Edenvale (Major and Members)

DAM stuff:
Ardoilean
Silver City Beach Club

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 11:29:46 PM »
Hah!  That was my dinner a few hours ago...pepperoni, sausage and  mushrooms with a little feta and some crushed red pepper flakes.  Mmmmm.  I do carry anchovies, but they are not as popular as I would hope.

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2016, 05:00:21 PM »
Hey guys.  I know it's been a couple of weeks, but I am still not past the 12th hole.  I have been spending a lot of time on the peripheral things.  I did make some changes to the 10th fairway, but more importantly finished off the area of the 10th tee with pathways and bridges that connect it to the 9th green and clubhouse area.

As for the 12th hole it is a par 3 that plays 170-200 yards and 90+ feet downhill.  The path that spans from the back of the 11th green and runs parallel to the 12th tees took a long time to get right.  And then there was a whole lot of fencing to put in.  The end result is pretty nice though.

I think I am still on track for publishing this fall, but if that changes I will post info right here.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 05:42:17 PM by bradleystuart »

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2016, 02:44:32 PM »
Since I'm thinking it's going to be a slow weekend around publishing wise with the anticipation of next weeks announcement, I have decided to put together one more beta.

I turned up the green speed and softened them a smidge or two.  Different tee boxes, all new pins and three new holes to play.

No more pictures right now.  I'll probably post some more as I wrap up the back nine.  See you again in the fall!

:)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 05:44:12 PM by bradleystuart »

rdh

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2016, 03:27:29 PM »
Beautiful course!  I'll look forward to the full release.

DoGgzbollox

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2016, 05:15:41 PM »
Hey welcome back! nice to see you designing, i forget the name of the desert track you released way back but you should give it the new texture treatment and re-publish it...I remember enjoying that one! good luck with this, looks great.

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2016, 01:49:36 PM »
Hey welcome back! nice to see you designing, i forget the name of the desert track you released way back but you should give it the new texture treatment and re-publish it...I remember enjoying that one! good luck with this, looks great.

Thanks Dog.  Yeah, Hoodoo somethin'.  It was a good track, maybe I could touch it up for TGC2.  ;)

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2016, 06:07:58 PM »
Hey all, been a while since I have updated this thread.  Progress is still being made on the course, however not as fast as I had hoped.  It does not look like I am going to make my original September deadline.

I have 15 finished holes so far and the 16th is about 70-80% done.  I just released a new beta last night that has a full holes (6,800 yard par 72).  Although the last two holes are placeholders (I only spent about 20 minutes on each one) they are totally playable.

Here is a bit of what I've been up to for the last couple of months:

First I did a huge makeover of the par 5 14th.  I removed most of the trees from the left side, bringing the lake into view.  I also added a new teebox that lets it play as a long par 4 instead.  Better mounding around the fairway bunkers and a new greenside bunker to protect the front/right side.

The 15th is the final par 3 and it plays over a small lagoon.  Four different teeboxes here provide a variety of distances and angles to the green.

The 16th is still a work in progress, but it is nearing completion.  It is a mid/long par 4 that has five teeboxes so far, one of which lets it play as a short par 5!  Water protects one of the largest greens on the course here.

This tee won't be open for play until the fencing is put in.  :(

Like I mentioned above, the 17th and 18th are just placeholder holes I put in for the beta.  They may change quite substantially before release.  Also I apologize in advance for the tree blocking the 18th fairway, it will most likely not make the final cut.

The newest beta is called:

Finland Project beta v1

rdh

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2016, 10:47:42 PM »
Nice to see this pop up again!  Hope the pizzeria is thriving.  I'd almost enjoy another picture of one of your great pizzas as I enjoy more shots of the course...

Bradley Stuart

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2016, 04:05:39 PM »
Nice to see this pop up again!  Hope the pizzeria is thriving.  I'd almost enjoy another picture of one of your great pizzas as I enjoy more shots of the course...

The pizzeria is always busy, that's never been a problem.  The fact that it is in the opposite corner of the valley from where we live is wearing on me though.  In fact, we have decided to sell the place.   The good news is that this should free up some more time to finish my golf course.

space-cash